The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2019, 08:28 AM

Our band is similar in size and frequency of events. We are happy with Harbinger MLS 900 array run through a Yamaha mixer. We have two of the mls900s and let the venue determine how much gear and setup we need. These are inexpensive so you can have two for under a g-note. Very flexible and Bluetooth too.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Alto TS310's are hard to beat for sound and value. I have the 12's as I'm not worried about a few extra pounds, but enjoy the added low end. I think there are some TS212's still available at discounted prices as they are in the 3 series now.

I've been using their gear for several years now and have nothing but good things to say.
I run a TS312 as a main and a TX208 as my monitor. Never had to worry about not enough power. They have plenty and the sound is excellent for my ears... Pretty simple set up.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:16 AM

A sub and active crossover can make a huge difference over a powered top alone. Let each speaker do what it's designed to do the system will sound cleaner and clearer. Rolls makes a tiny two way crossover which is about the size of a guitar pedal. I have one mounted to my board.

For smaller rooms, I use an EV ZXA1 12" powered sub & a Line 6 L2T for FOH in smaller rooms and a Line 6 L3T over a Yorkville NX720s for larger rooms and outdoor gigs. I like my system to be working well within it's limits rather than having one speaker trying to shout its lung out.

You can always start with one speaker, add another to have a monitor, add a sub later, etc. With creative speaker placement, you can often get by without a dedicated monitor. It's not optimal, but it can work.

A dedicated mixer allows you to place the speakers where they will sound best in the room and have the controls within reach. A scalable modular PA system allows you to bring as much or as little as you'll need for any given gig.

If I get to the point where I need more firepower that I feel like carrying myself, I sub contract out to a sound company.

YMMV
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-26-2019, 11:00 PM

I have a pair of Behringer B208D 8" speakers and I'm very happy with them.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification