The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2019, 06:31 PM

Default Kustom PA50 Clipping?

I have a Kustom PA50 and I like everything about it except I seem to get a weird clipping noise from the microphone at about half volume and up. If I were to make the sound of the letter 'K' for instance, it would sound like 'Ksh'. I get the same response from every microphone I have, either channel. That says to me that its the speaker itself.

My question, do I have a bad speaker or do they all do this? I bought this one as an open box.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 PM

I have 2 of these and have never experienced that issue. But then again I've never been able to turn up half way. Usually just 1/4 is enough. Two questions: are you straight in or using a mixer? What are the levels on the main control and the mic--both 1/2?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I have 2 of these and have never experienced that issue. But then again I've never been able to turn up half way. Usually just 1/4 is enough. Two questions: are you straight in or using a mixer? What are the levels on the main control and the mic--both 1/2?
Straight in and I've tried with both at half as well as mic lower but main higher. I guess I haven't tried mic higher and main lower....
Old 05-01-2019, 08:50 PM

I think what you're experiencing is gain staging issues. I run into them every so often with mixers I haven't used for awhile. That causes clipping for sure. I try to set things so that one dial is at 12 o'clock just to have an easy reference point. Things don't always work out and make that possible. Maybe try the mic at 12 o'clock and adjust the main accordingly. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I think what you're experiencing is gain staging issues. I run into them every so often with mixers I haven't used for awhile. That causes clipping for sure. I try to set things so that one dial is at 12 o'clock just to have an easy reference point. Things don't always work out and make that possible. Maybe try the mic at 12 o'clock and adjust the main accordingly. Good luck.
Thanks, I think I've tried that but I didn't write all the combinations down that I tried. I'll play with it this evening.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:14 PM

Your issue is strictly gain staging, @Red Joker. Google Gain Staging and you'll find your fix. Ric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification