The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2019, 07:36 PM

Default Fishman Loudbox Questions

So my 2000 D 18V I got last week in a trade has a pickup in it, a LR Baggs Element I believe, and I think I’m going to buy a Fishman Loudbox mini or artist Friday night. I play small parties with a singer accompanying me so I think either amp will work. My questions are:

1. Are the features of the Artist worth the extra cost?

2. Do I need or should I use a pedal like the Fishman Pro DEQ or the Aura Spectrum with the amp to get a more natural sound from the pickup?

Forgive my ignorance in these matters, I have never really plugged my acoustics in before except to mess around with at home and using my Fender 57 Custom Deluxe.
2019 American Original 50’s Tele
2019 American Original 60’s Tele
2018 Gibson ES 335 Traditional
Old 05-01-2019, 08:17 PM

I have the Loudbox mini and my friend bought the Artist. In a nut shell I think the Artist is worth the extra cost as it gives more EQ and phantom power if you ever use a condenser Mic. That being said I love my mini and have used it in backyard events with no lack of volume issues.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:23 PM

I think an Aura will do wonders for your situation. You can get by with just the amp. In particularly, if you are the only instrument, you can scoop a lot of the mid range and that will make the element acceptable, but an Aura, in my experience, will make it actually sound like a real acoustic. Granted I don't still use an Aura, but I keep one around in case I have to use a piezo.

Now, my actual advice is to get an LR Baggs Anthem. It incorporates a form of the element along with a mic. That will mean that you shouldn't need to modify the guitar at all. The best part is that it sounds awesome. If you take the time to adjust the mic level, it is fantastic.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredFelix View Post
I think an Aura will do wonders for your situation. You can get by with just the amp. In particularly, if you are the only instrument, you can scoop a lot of the mid range and that will make the element acceptable, but an Aura, in my experience, will make it actually sound like a real acoustic. Granted I don't still use an Aura, but I keep one around in case I have to use a piezo.

Now, my actual advice is to get an LR Baggs Anthem. It incorporates a form of the element along with a mic. That will mean that you shouldn't need to modify the guitar at all. The best part is that it sounds awesome. If you take the time to adjust the mic level, it is fantastic.
I may get the anthem later but first I want to add a pickup to my 000 28 Modern Deluxe I bought last month. Plus I’ve already bought two Telecasters, an ES 335, the 000 and a Fender 57 Deluxe amp since January so I better not go too nuts or the wife may kill me.
2019 American Original 50’s Tele
2019 American Original 60’s Tele
2018 Gibson ES 335 Traditional
Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 PM

Loudbox Mini 60w vs Artist 100w. If you want a Mini you should consider the Mini Charge which gives you the battery powered option.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-02-2019, 04:29 AM

I used a mini for a long time. Moved to an Artist, which had more of a honky sound, but louder. I moved on the the Bose S1 and a Fishman performer. The Performer improves all the failings of the mini and artist.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:47 AM

If you can afford the Artist I would definitely get that over the mini. The Artist is a lifer amp. It does a nice job cleaning up a UST on its own. You can get by without any additional outboard gear if you wanted to, though adding something like the Aura like you mentioned would be better again.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:16 PM

I have both the mini and the charge.

You can't go wrong with any Fishman. Great customer service.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:51 AM

I've found the artist to be fantastic for small situations where you need to have a vocal mic and guitar in separate channels. Living room parties, small cocktail parties. It is perfect. Spend some time understanding the EQ and you will be satisfied. It does the job and provides very pleasing results. That said it is what it is and sure you can get better sound if you spend more money.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM

You should look at used Loudboxes. In the NY area there are always Mini’s listed for $225, Artist’s for $350 and Performer’s for $450. A lot more bang for the buck. I have a Performer and haven’t had a situation that it didn’t cover.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-03-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm with others who say the Artist is worth it. The mini is a great amp and will be plenty loud, but you'll spend more than the difference if price for the Artist in add on foot pedals, etc. just trying to get the extra features. Go for it, you won't regret it and you'll have lots of head room for larger venues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification