The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-01-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Looks spectacular! How does it sound?
Thanks Ryan. I love the way it sounds. But rather than trying to describe it, I'm working on getting a video put together with a local player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Oooo that makes me weak in the knees! Some lucky soul is going to very happy with this one.
Thanks SJ VanSandt! I think he's going to love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Wow! Just wow! That desert ironwood came out better (& darker) than I thought it would! Well done!
Steve
Steve,
The DI is some pretty ridiculous stuff. It has some red, brown, and black in it. It looks different from just about every angle. I look forward to using it more in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lew View Post
Wow...I'm gonna need a bigger bucket for my bucket list! What a beautiful guitar. Another great job, Chris.
Thanks Mark. I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzkinguitars View Post
Wow that's absolutely stunning! The color of the osage with the walnut wedge reminds me of the three piece backs common among flamenco guitars built in Granada like this one. One of my favorite looks!
Thanks Itzkinguitars.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 PM

I hope it has become apparent throughout this build that I have a passion for alternative tonewoods. I love that they are unique, rarely or even never seen on guitars, and have a lot of potential tonally. On top of that, a lot of alternative tonewoods are very affordable. But above all, alternative tonewoods play a vital role to the global ecosystem. Too many of the woods that are in guitars are being harvested illegally on the world market. This leads to such things as all rosewoods being added to the CITES restricted list. I have a strong feeling that ebony and mahogany aren't far behind. The problem is that these woods have become so desirable on the world market, that people are willing deforesting entire areas to get to them. And while guitars aren't the biggest problem as far as wood consumption goes, it doesn't mean that we can't be a part of the solution. A reduction in the use of rare and endangered woods is nothing but a good thing.

Now I know that yellow is not the new black visually (osage is not the brazilian, ebony, etc). But I hope that this guitar has highlighted some of the potential that lies hidden out there. Guitars are made of wood. Not just the woods we are all used to. And a lot of them are readily available, extremely economical, and hold great sonic potential.

Don't like yellow? Take all the specs of this guitar and change out the osage orange for walnut, oak, sycamore, maple, myrtle, koa.... the list goes on. My hope is that maybe one thing on this guitar, be it the fingerboard, headstock, binding, etc, may have given you some inspiration to try something new on a custom guitar.

Yes, I do build with traditional woods and they have their place in guitars. But I hope players will open their minds to the possibilities that grow so close to home. Guitar wood doesn't have to grow 1,000 miles away. It can come from your own back yard (literally).

And as a reward for sitting through one of my rare rants, here are some more pictures:

I will be updating my website with more pictures soon. Also, I'm putting together a video so you can hear how this beauty sounds. Stay tuned.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:22 AM

Amen, brother! Well said. Your myrtlewood, your walnut, and your osage orange masterpieces prove your point very well.
2018 Larrivee Custom OM-10 Rosewood/Alpine Moon Spruce/Torch inlay
2018 Taylor 524ce LTD NAMM Show all-walnut
Old 05-08-2017, 07:00 AM

The full gallery for this guitar is now up on my website. It was delivered to a very happy client over the weekend. This is one of those guitars that's hard to let leave the shop. But, it's also the type of guitar that keeps a luthier from getting work done...

Before it left, I had Sean Clavin do a demo. It's amazing how much it's changed tonally in the first couple of weeks. Initially, it was very bright. But the bass has really started to come through with each day it has strings on and everything has started to round out. I'll be intrigued to see how it continues to open up.

Throw on some over-ear head phones and give it a listen:

I've gotten permission from the client to bring this one to Woodstock. I hope you'll make it to upstate NY and come meet the All USA Woods Guitar.

Last edited by CaE; 05-09-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ensor View Post
I think everyone could use some beauty shots for the upcoming weekend:

Enjoy!
Mm-mmm! So tasty! Chris, that's a fine representation of what local woods can become. Well done.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-08-2017, 04:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Inspiring work Chris.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

That sure is one pretty guitar. Looking forward to seeing and playing your guitars in Woodstock this fall.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Mm-mmm! So tasty! Chris, that's a fine representation of what local woods can become. Well done.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Inspiring work Chris.
Thanks Kinnairds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
That sure is one pretty guitar. Looking forward to seeing and playing your guitars in Woodstock this fall.
Please do stop by and give it a test drive.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:54 AM

As a fun way to highlight some of the other domestics that are available, here are some of the sets I have (some more common than others):

Black Walnut:

Osage Orange:

Figured, Quartered Cherry:

Wild Figured Maple:

Black Locust:

Myrtle:

A Sycamore Guitar:

And there are many more domestics for back/sides. Plus, domestic tops like sitka, port orford cedar, adirondack, western red cedar, redwood, and more.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful wood sets Chris...
Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Wink

Dang, Chris, you know how to tempt a guy! I think that Myrtle set is calling my name ..... Anyone want to buy my car???
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop