The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-27-2020, 10:40 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I use a “BIC Select” razor.
If this 'lockdown' of shops/outlets continues for much longer I am going to need to request the services of a hedge trimmer.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I also know a few who've been giving themselves "regular cuts" for years and quite a few more who are attempting it now, and I haven't seen a "selfie" haircut yet that makes me think that it's a good idea...
Well, I haven't been in a barber shop since the last century. I don't take "selfies", but no one has ever made any bad remarks about my haircuts. All it takes is a good set of clippers...
Old 04-27-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
Well, I haven't been in a barber shop since the last century. I don't take "selfies", but no one has ever made any bad remarks about my haircuts. All it takes is a good set of clippers...
Well, by "selfie" I wasn't referring to a pic, just a self done cut...and I'd certainly never hurt anyone's feelings by making a negative remark about the way they've cut their hair...it's not my head, it's not my business and it's not polite...
Old 04-27-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
...My last scheduled haircut fell on the first day of closure for all barber/beauty salons here in Texas, and thus had to skip it. So for the time being, I'm going full Ben Franklin in terms of hairstyle.
Same here in NYC; our band was scheduled to do a Beatles tribute when the lockdown began, tentatively rescheduled for shortly after it ends - was going to wear my usual '62 Cavern Club gear, but if the barbers don't start opening sometime soon I might have to go this route:

Old 04-27-2020, 01:31 PM

I do have a FlowBee, I love the thing, works great, 5 minutes and I'm done, I need the wife to trim the hair on the back of my neck with the buzz clippers though.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
A bowl and pair of rusty kitchen scissors.
I was going to say the same thing (minus the rust). My father told me about bowl cuts back in the day.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:33 PM

Buzz-buzz-buzz with #2 clippers and a little clean up with a set of
scissors.
I've been buzz cutting my hair since I moved from Austin in 2009.
I had a great, old school barber who also was a musician. He always
had instruments in his shop if you felt like playing.
I figure I'm in my second childhood. When I was a kid in the '50s,
buzz cuts, crew cuts, flat tops and such were all the rage for younger kids.

Mark
Old 04-27-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I don't have much hair but I was faithfully going every three weeks ago to a barber to have it cleaned up. I ordered one of these about a week before the world shut down and finally used it last week. So easy to do and I would say 95% as good as my barber does. Again, not much hair on my head and what I do have I keep buzzed pretty close (#2 guard) but it was so easy and the results were so acceptable that rather than go every three weeks, wait 30 minutes in a cramped barbershop, and pay $20 I'll be using this clipper going forward.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rob
Old 04-27-2020, 06:11 PM

Gillette is what I use to give myself a haircut every morning.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:22 PM

I cut my own hair with my beard trimmer, which after all is just a miniature version of a barber's clippers. I got a number of compliments.

It really wasn't hard. The chosen attachment determines the length. All you have to do is make sure you get everywhere, which can be done with the mirror and by feel.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I was going to say the same thing (minus the rust). My father told me about bowl cuts back in the day.
Your dad told you about it? My dad demonstrated it on us til I was about 13 yrs old.After the bowl cut he would get out the old clippers,by old I mean from before they had electric,and make a cut above the ears.Oh do I hate to see pictures from that part of my life.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:12 AM

I’ve been solely cutting my own hair for 7+ years now. I’m a tightwad and I hate ppl messing with my head so it helps me to just do it myself. I’m in my second set of clippers that I’ve linked below. The first set still works but I’ve lost all that heads to it so I bought another. Less than $50 in 7 years so that works out to just over $7 a year so far. I use #2 in the summer and #3 in the winter and also use it to keep my beard trimmed

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wahl-Cord...-400T/10965214
Old 04-29-2020, 10:32 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
I’ve been solely cutting my own hair for 7+ years now. I’m a tightwad and I hate ppl messing with my head so it helps me to just do it myself. I’m in my second set of clippers that I’ve linked below. The first set still works but I’ve lost all that heads to it so I bought another. Less than $50 in 7 years so that works out to just over $7 a year so far. I use #2 in the summer and #3 in the winter and also use it to keep my beard trimmed

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wahl-Cord...-400T/10965214
Thank you for sharing your experience, I am sure this is helpful to others.

But I was really talking about with those of us who are very careful and particular/paranoid about their bald areas and general hair arrangements but also budget orientiated - is how realistic is it to:

To use the Covid lockdown period of enforced idleness to learn to give yourself a proper scissor cut that would normally cost $50-100 a pop in an upmarket hairstylist and what kind of tools you would need for this?
Old 04-29-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
To use the Covid lockdown period of enforced idleness to learn to give yourself a proper scissor cut that would normally cost $50-100 a pop in an upmarket hairstylist and what kind of tools you would need for this?
For what it's worth: not too long ago, an acquaintance who gives that kind of cut professionally was telling me about a new pair of (specialized, for only certain types of cutting) scissors that he had just spent $800 on.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:53 PM

Yea! Bring back the bowl cut. Think Moe in the 3 stooges.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic