The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-23-2020, 11:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
JK +AP = NICE STUFF INDEED

if anyone wants an earful of John's praises just rattle my cage.

I was up at 4am, playing my new JK Custom BIG GUN. I like to play LOUD and John's big Customs for me will keep on getting louder and FATTER until it literally hurts my ears, which was a huge help with my unplugged gigs. Back when I had any... SIGH.

But last night I was playing very softly and the wonderful tone was just mesmerizing. Huge tone at minimal volume. Amazing response from a VERY lightly played JUMBO. 16.75" across the Lower Bout! Also Very COMFY with its three bevels and Manzer wedge!

I am so looking forward to hearing more from Al Pettiway on John's guitars!

Carry On and have FUN

Paul
Thanks Paul.

Glad to hear the big gun still rocks your boat. (Is that a scrambled metaphor)

All this bad stuff will pass and you will be back on stage again. Stay in tune my friend.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing the video of your new West Coast OM John. Gorgeous looking and sounding guitar, especially in the hands of Al Pettiway!
Old 04-23-2020, 12:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Thanks for sharing the video of your new West Coast OM John. Gorgeous looking and sounding guitar, especially in the hands of Al Pettiway!
Thanks very much doodahdoug. Al is for sure a local treasure with international recognition.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Smile John's SOUND

This from my archives.... hahahaha

Recently, at one of my unplugged gigs for the elderly I had a very nice woman sit down about 5 feet from me, well before I started playing. She asked if I did any songs that she would recognize.
I replied that I would be doing lots of songs that I hope she would recognize, especially if I did them correctly. And that I would be doing a couple of my originals,too. And that I was hoping she would help sing. This made her happy, and I had not even started yet.

She was way into it for the entire hour. And she sang well!
As I was putting the John Kinnaird OVERLORD (my most recent commission from John) away she commented that it was the best sounding guitar she ever heard, and beautiful as well!
She told me she had been a piano player, and played professionally. This is the kind of comments you like to get! And from a professional musician no less…

This kind of thing happens to me on a regular basis, and I can assure you it is not my playing that makes the difference. Although I do pay a lot of attention to TONE and really work to get the best acoustic sound possible.

John's instruments really SOUND GREAT.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-23-2020, 01:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have to love that story Paul.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:25 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Another beauty John. Don't we all wish we could play like Pettaway. Takes you to another place.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:04 AM

Beautiful guitar! I also LOVE the curly oak guitar Al demoed. Some very gorgeous pieces.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Another beauty John. Don't we all wish we could play like Pettaway. Takes you to another place.
Thanks Dennis. Yes, i know I envy his creativity on the guitar.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmassey1 View Post
Beautiful guitar! I also LOVE the curly oak guitar Al demoed. Some very gorgeous pieces.
Thank you. Now I am curious about how you came across that video of Al playing the little Oak Parlor guitar. I plan to put it on the AGF fairly soon.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

John--this is really an amazing guitar. The Cocobolo has such a chocolate loveliness and is so perfectly bookmatched. And though I'm not normally an abalone guy, I find it is so tastefully done on this guitar.

And the tone is really to die for--someone is going to be a very happy camper!

Kudos on such a beautiful instrument!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

John,
Here is another story you might appreciate: I was at a social event back in the time when there were such things, and I had my John Kinnaird Pau Santo 000 with me. I showed it to a friend of mine who is a professional guitarist and an outstanding fingerstyle player (mostly plays electric on stage, sadly). He started sweating profusely when he played the guitar (really!), and said it was the finest guitar he had ever played. Later that evening I got to hear him play the guitar in a prayer circle - in a dark, silent room with everyone very attentive - and it was amazing. I had never heard anyone with that ability play the guitar from a little distance. I love the guitar for reasons beyond its sound, and figured I wasn't objective about it. My friend's playing, and the room's reaction to it, was ample validation. I'll never sell that guitar.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

John, that instrument is so lovely to look at, and sublime to hear in Al's hands.
But it seems almost unkind to introduce a gem like that to someone like Al, and then sell it to a guy like me. Kind of like leading someone wide-eyed through the door of a mansion and introduce them to the shack out back.

David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 04-24-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
John--this is really an amazing guitar. The Cocobolo has such a chocolate loveliness and is so perfectly bookmatched. And though I'm not normally an abalone guy, I find it is so tastefully done on this guitar.

And the tone is really to die for--someone is going to be a very happy camper!

Kudos on such a beautiful instrument!
Thank you Nemoman. I hope that happy camper comes along soon.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
John,
Here is another story you might appreciate: I was at a social event back in the time when there were such things, and I had my John Kinnaird Pau Santo 000 with me. I showed it to a friend of mine who is a professional guitarist and an outstanding fingerstyle player (mostly plays electric on stage, sadly). He started sweating profusely when he played the guitar (really!), and said it was the finest guitar he had ever played. Later that evening I got to hear him play the guitar in a prayer circle - in a dark, silent room with everyone very attentive - and it was amazing. I had never heard anyone with that ability play the guitar from a little distance. I love the guitar for reasons beyond its sound, and figured I wasn't objective about it. My friend's playing, and the room's reaction to it, was ample validation. I'll never sell that guitar.
Wow, I do appreciate that story Jamie. Thanks for sharing. That was such an interesting build. I have never worked with Pau Santo and probably never will again so that was a once in a lifetime experience there, and then the interesting ornamentation looked good with the green cast of the back and sides. That was one of my favorites.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
John, that instrument is so lovely to look at, and sublime to hear in Al's hands.
But it seems almost unkind to introduce a gem like that to someone like Al, and then sell it to a guy like me. Kind of like leading someone wide-eyed through the door of a mansion and introduce them to the shack out back.

David
Al I appreciate your kind words. I would be more than happy to sell to a guy like you. I’m assuming your money is green-ish. You don’t have to me an accomplished musician to own a custom guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop