The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 06:41 PM

Don't they say it's the thought that counts?

I'm sure he wouldn't want you to over extend on a guitar.

And if I'm wrong, you need to know ASAP.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-18-2017, 06:49 PM

Dump him and buy yourself the Taylor. It's the only financially sound decision to make.

Last edited by PiousDevil; 09-18-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:12 PM

He doesn't deserve you Amber, leave him , come and live with me ....
Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
Taylor did a 324ce Koa ltd a couple of years ago. Great sounding guitars without the bling. You can still find them for sale on eBay or reverb.com
https://reverb.com/p/taylor-324ce-k-natural
Just sold mine for $1,100 and it had nice warm tone. You can setup an eBay email alert when a used model comes up.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
...Be careful with a guy who wants you to spend $6200 on a guitar for him. Hopefully, he's in love with you as much as the most expensive guitar in the store. If so, he'd ask for a $200 Yamaha, play it happily, and save for a ring...
Had an ex-GF/bandmate (lead vocalist) who developed a sudden interest in learning to play guitar shortly after we started dating, and asked to "borrow" my D-45 (yeah, she knew exactly what it was/what it was worth); bought her a Takamine F-360S for her b-day, she lost interest in playing guitar/the band/me, in that order...

Entire cycle took all of seven months...

That said, the OP used the term "over the years" - while I'm no prophet, I'd tend to think they're in this for the long haul and, given his record, he's every bit the gem she is...

People with deep common interests often express their love in different, sometimes-unconventional ways...

I've been married for the last 27+ years to my on-and-off performing partner (and current bandmate) since 1967 - played/sang at our own wedding service...

Never did buy a ring - and we're both OK with that...

Many a milestone has been celebrated "with strings attached" - and we've each amassed a fairly substantial stable as a result...

For my 65th birthday I've already been given the green light (pun intended) to attend racing school, in pursuit of an NHRA Super Comp license...

There's a fishing trip on the Shenandoah River - a lifetime dream for my wife - in the offing for her 65th (shhh... ) ...

You sound like genuine soul mates, Amber; while the stated price of admission may be a bit high for your budget, there are some excellent alternative suggestions here - and I'm quite sure your expression of love will not only be appreciated but reciprocated...

Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness...
Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 PM

I think I would be very careful of buying it for him. "Super special" gifts can cause a trap where the specific gift becomes tied to love/admiration for you....

While I don't know how you guys are - your permission/blessing could accomplish the same thing (showing your love for him, love of common interests, etc) without having the strings attached if he later decides that this new guitar doesn't fit into the stable all that well..
Old 09-18-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Amber, you are a keeper! Lucky boyfriend.....

At $6200 something is wrong. You list your location as Florida, but L&M usually means Long & McQuade in Canada? That would explain the difference......
$6200 is even more than the MSRP price shown on the Taylor web site, and well more than the $4400 MAP advertised on sites like www.Elderly.com and Musician's Friend. And I'd bet that our forum sponsors can do better than that, but you have to call them directly.

I have a 424-LTD from 2007 which is all koa and very comparable to the newer K24's. They sold new for around $2K back then, and there were not that many 424's out there, being a limited edition. If you could find one used (mine is NOT for sale, as it will be the very last wood guitar I part with) the only thing you are giving up is the fancy vine inlay on the fret board, and the latest ES2 system.

Not me, but here is a YT video showing it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATPe7KEV0g
If it is in fact the Long & McQuade located in Canada, then you probably didn't do the conversion rate. $6200 Canadian dollars = $5000 US dollars. But as others have mentioned, you should buy from one of the AGF sponsors, such as My Favorite Guitars located in your home state. You'll get a much better deal.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 PM

Love your intentions. That counts way more than the price, etc. I suspect that many of us would point to a flashy guitar and say "that's the one!" but when getting more serious about it, would choose something else, particularly given cost. I honestly would not want someone to spend that much on me, even if I liked the guitar! In this specific case, like others here, I think the price is way off, and the value for money is way off, too. I wouldn't pay anything close to that for that instrument -- nor would I pay $5K. Again, I might say I like it and want it, but that's different than saying I would every buy it, or want it bought for me. I'd do as others suggest and say "I'd love to get a beautiful guitar in your hands... I set aside $X. Shall we see what we can find?" and take it from there. But heck -- you'll decide what's best. Beautiful thought.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

One of our sponsors has this K22ce for $3200. Maybe for an AGF'er a bit more off?

http://www.capitalguitarsonline.com/...107205131.html

Best of luck.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Had an ex-GF/bandmate (lead vocalist) who developed a sudden interest in learning to play guitar shortly after we started dating, and asked to "borrow" my D-45 (yeah, she knew exactly what it was/what it was worth); bought her a Takamine F-360S for her b-day, she lost interest in playing guitar/the band/me, in that order...

That said, the OP used the term "over the years" - while I'm no prophet, I'd tend to think they're in this for the long haul and, given his record, he's every bit the gem she is...

People with deep common interests often express their love in different, sometimes-unconventional ways...

I've been married for the last 27+ years to my on-and-off performing partner (and current bandmate) since 1967 - played/sang at our own wedding service...

Many a milestone has been celebrated "with strings attached" - and we've each amassed a fairly substantial stable as a result...

For my 65th birthday I've already been given the green light (pun intended) to attend racing school, in pursuit of an NHRA Super Comp license...

There's a fishing trip on the Shenandoah River - a lifetime dream for my wife - in the offing for her 65th (shhh... ) ...

You sound like genuine soul mates, Amber; while the stated price of admission may be a bit high for your budget, there are some excellent alternative suggestions here - and I'm quite sure your expression of love will not only be appreciated but reciprocated...

Listen to Steve. A lot of long-term relationships is helping each other fulfill your dreams.
Pimentel Concert #1 '74
Breedlove C25 Masterclass Custom
Ovation Country Artist
Old 09-19-2017, 07:05 AM

I'm sorry, but I don't get most of these comments.

I don't see anywhere that the OP's boyfriend requested or expects to receive the guitar in question, she simply says he "fell in love" with it and asks for alternatives.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-19-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't get most of these comments.

I don't see anywhere that the OP's boyfriend requested or expects to receive the guitar in question, she simply says he "fell in love" with it and asks for alternatives.
That's what I was thinking. We are reading WAY too much into this.

My advice still stands....if you give your boyfriend roughly the same amount of money that he spent on you, then you can all it even and maybe he can put some money with it and get the guitar.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:15 AM

[QUOTE=Steve DeRosa;5480568]
There's a fishing trip on the Shenandoah River - a lifetime dream for my wife - in the offing for her 65th ...QUOTE]

If you need any recommendations for the area, give me a shout.

What part of the Sheandoah river? I live at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Guest4562

Amber, do not surprise him with any guitar, regardless of price.

Some years ago a friend of mine bought a Martin Backpacker and was showing it to me. I oohed and ahhed and said I thought it was great, all the while thinking what a piece of junk. But my wife was there and went out and bought me one for my birthday. I didn't have the heart to tell her I didn't want it, and it's still upstairs with my gear somewhere.

Point is, I advise you to involve him in any purchase of this magnitude you make for him.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:52 AM

I think it is only proper to point out that the Shenandoah is primarily fed by the South Fork of the Shenandoah which in turn is fed by the North River which is formed in confluence with the Middle River. In fact, the Middle River "is" the Shenandoah. One of the smallish tributaries of the Middle is Lewis Creek. If you follow the Lewis Creek a few miles upstream from the Middle, you arrive at the Huss and Dalton Guitar Shop.
The key to successful relationships is to subtly bring your interests into mutual accord.
Well played Steve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
k24ce, koa, taylor