The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-27-2020, 10:52 AM

Greenfield are the best of the best in any nation IMO
Old 05-27-2020, 11:25 AM

Default Ron Belanger

Ron is a maker who has some posts on this forum. I got an amazing deal from the 12th fret in Toronto. It was Ron’s M12 that they were selling for $1200 American. It was so deeply discounted because there’s less interest in 12 strings. I had communicated with Ron before buying it (it had belonged to a woman who couldn’t play anymore because of arthritis). After I got it, I emailed him to find a replacement cost for insurance purposes, and he said it would be $4200 new. It is a beautiful guitar (you can probably get pictures if you google), it has perfect intonation for a 12, and is absolutely beautiful with highly figured Indian rosewood and a spalted rosette. I have been so pleased with this guitar, and my luthier (lives in the area, I have bought several instruments from him) said if he’d seen it he would have had to buy it. Ron is a student of Grit Laskin, and this guitar has the Larskin bevel. Craftsmanship is impeccable. Check out his stuff, you’ll be happy you did.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I received my second commission from Marc Beneteau last week. Superlative fingerstyle and flatpicking guitar. His base price is $7k but the sound and responsiveness is more like $10-15k based on my personal experience.

David Wren, Peggy White, and Indian Hill are other great ones I have been very impressed with.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 05-27-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Tony Karol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
Hard to beat Tony Karol, his baritones are played by Tommy Emmanuel and Stephen Bennett among others.
I second and recommend Tony Karol too, having had a personal custom experience with the guy. He is very reasonable with his prices, super approachable and will go out of the way to make you happy. I know he spends his time building and teaching (luthiery), and like Telepucker said he has amassed some high profile clients in his career. You can PM me if you want to know more about Tony and you can check him out @

www.karol-guitars.com
Old 05-27-2020, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Smile Canadian Luthier

I cast another vote for Marc Beneteau. I love the tone, playability and response I get from my Beneteau CS. Marc is a great guy to boot.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 05-27-2020, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

While this is a little above the limit you set, you really should check out Sheldon Schwartz. He doesn't get much attention here on the AGF, but in my opinion he makes extremely fine guitars. His website says his base price for his Advanced Auditorium model is $8,500 US, and $9500 for his Pinnacle model. Obviously add-ons would bump up the price.

I own this one, and it is exceptional:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxkF_trTMlc

You can find a used one for $8-9K all in.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Canadian Built Guitars

J'ai possédé quelques-uns des Luthiers déjà mentionnés et quelques autres constructeurs de classe mondiale. Je possède actuellement trois guitares. L'un est un Northwood Brazilian / Englemann Dred. Je commanderai bientôt un autre Northwood. John McQuarrie de Northwood guitars est à Sorrent BC.

daniel
Old 05-27-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Hard to go wrong with Marc Beneteau...

http://www.beneteauguitars.com/
+1 Marc Beneteau
Old 05-27-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I'm not sure who you consider a "premier" luthier but for my money I'd go with Robin Boucher. I have his Studio Goose (SG-42-MG) dread with the Master Grade package. AAAA Adirondack top over Brazilian Mahogany. Phenomenal guitar. And somewhere around 60% of your $7000 ceiling.
Yep, incredible guitars. I haven't played a bad one and considering what you get, they are a steal. I hope to get a dread and OM Boucher in the near future.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:30 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
J'ai possédé quelques-uns des Luthiers déjà mentionnés et quelques autres constructeurs de classe mondiale. Je possède actuellement trois guitares. L'un est un Northwood Brazilian / Englemann Dred. Je commanderai bientôt un autre Northwood. John McQuarrie de Northwood guitars est à Sorrent BC.

daniel
I’m appreciating that you posted in French, Daniel, mais il n’y a pas beaucoup de personne ici qui vont comprendre quesque tu as écrit. San ne fais rien. C’est bon à voir pour un change. Je peux comprendre quesque tu as écrit. Je ne suis pas familier avec les guitars Northwood.

Je suis un Français manquer...mon dernier nom est Français, mais j’étais née a Nouvelle Écosse...il n’y a pas beaucoup de Français le et quant on a démanager à Ontario, j’ai commencer à apprendre le Français...un petit peu. En tu cas, je voudrais te répondre en Français pour voir si je peux écrir en Français, et si tu peux comprendre quesque j’ai écrit. Pas pire, ou non?

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-27-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:23 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Looks like quite a few suggestions. Maybe you are right back where you started with a difficult decision.

My suggestion would be Dennis Kwasnycia. Excellent attention to detail and his guitars have premier luthier tone. My 000-12 sound like an Olson and I'm not the only one to say that. You can't go wrong with a Kwasnycia and they are priced way below where they rank on my tone meter.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

I have owned a Marc Beneteau in the past and that is a great option.

But if I was in your shoes I would check out G W Barry

http://www.gwbarryguitars.com

Way, way under the radar but great guitars.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:03 AM

Of course you hardly need any more recommendations, there are so many terrific luthiers working in Canada. But here is my $.02, I played a Peggy White guitar at Harrisburg a couple of years back and I still think about it—just an incredibly articulate instrument, tremendous fit and finish. Her most recent pricing is right in your ballpark. I would definitely try to play one of her instruments.

Last edited by Richard Mott; 05-28-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

I personally know Michael Greenfield, Mario Beaureguard, Linda Manzer, David Wren, Marc Beneteau and Dennis Kwasnycia and they would be at the top of my shopping list but I am unsure of their price structure. I would venture to guess that Mario, Michael and Linda's base prices might be well above your budget.

I remember being at a show where David and I were both exhibiting but I can't recall which show. Though I do remember cruising the room well before the show opened on a Sunday morning and I noodled around on several guitars and the sound of one of David's guitars still haunts me to this day.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Smile No suggestions...

I have no Luthier suggestions that haven't already been made.

But, you might want to tell us what types of music you play, and what type of axe you are after....

Like, down tunings vs. standard, bevels, Sound port, fan frets, 12 fret, 14 fret, cutaway, special neck carve, etc? For me these are big reasons to buy a custom instrument. Well, and TONE/VOLUME/PLAYABILITY.

This is a fun thread and I hope you find just what you seek!

So many guitars, so little time!

Have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop