The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2019, 08:34 AM

Wanted to revisit this question because I'm curious and hope that someone may have some insight. Is there a difference in body depth between the G45 Studio and Standard like with the J45 Studio and Standard?
Old 08-24-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
Wanted to revisit this question because I'm curious and hope that someone may have some insight. Is there a difference in body depth between the G45 Studio and Standard like with the J45 Studio and Standard?
Yes, the same difference as with the J45 and J45 Studio.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
Yes, the same difference as with the J45 and J45 Studio.
Sorry, that's wrong. Both the Studio and Standard G-45s have the same slim body depth - similar to the J-45 Studio. The main differences respectively, between the Studio and Standard, are: the fingerboard, walnut vs Richlite; and the top finish, satin vs gloss.

Someone else said the specs of the G-45 were similar to the J-45. They are not even close: the J-45 is mahogany back and sides and the G-45 is walnut back and sides, the Gs have a 16" radius fingerboard (I think the J-45 is 12"... might be wrong). Also, without double-checking, I assume the J-45 has an LR Baggs pickup, the G-45 has a Sonitone.

To avoid this sort of confusion, maybe Gibson should really have designated them G-15.

Last edited by Arthur Slowhand; 11-05-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
the J-45 is rosewood back and sides
Sorry, that's wrong. J-45 Standard is mahogany.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Sorry, that's wrong. J-45 Standard is mahogany.
Haha... yeah (I think I'm getting my D-45 and J-45 mixed up)... well one thing I was right about, it's definitely NOT walnut!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Haha... yeah (I think I'm getting my D-45 and J-45 mixed up)... well one thing I was right about, it's definitely NOT walnut!
It's okay lol. I have so many guitar etc. specs stuck in my head. I should probably start freeing up some disk space for the important stuff!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:42 PM

Any chance anybody could take a picture of the inside of their G45? Didn't get a chance to look inside the one I played at Guitar Center, would like to see the bracing.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Sorry, that's wrong. Both the Studio and Standard G-45s have the same slim body depth - similar to the J-45 Studio. The main differences respectively, between the Studio and Standard, are: the fingerboard, walnut vs Richlite; and the top finish, satin vs gloss.

Someone else said the specs of the G-45 were similar to the J-45. They are not even close: the J-45 is mahogany back and sides and the G-45 is walnut back and sides, the Gs have a 16" radius fingerboard (I think the J-45 is 12"... might be wrong). Also, without double-checking, I assume the J-45 has an LR Baggs pickup, the G-45 has a Sonitone.

To avoid this sort of confusion, maybe Gibson should really have designated them G-15.
Dag nabbit. You are right. I was wrong. I thought the G-45 Standard was "standard" depth.
Here is a pretty thorough review of both emphasizing what is identical between the two and what is different.

https://youtu.be/JDeYxhPrhR4
Old 08-05-2020, 05:46 AM

Edit: sorry wrong thread!
Played both the Guild F2512e and the Takamine GJ72CE-12 today. The Takamine sounded too thin unplugged and felt overbuilt. The Guild 2512 sounded a lot better, lacked some low end though and, more important, the bridge was lifted/tilted. A gap was visible on the back of the bridge where one could stick a thin size plectrum in. Too bad that they were still trying to sell that piece of junk as a 'demo model'. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a customer return. Also tried a Guild 1512, man, that thing was lovely but I couldn't justify paying more than double the price of the 2512 for a 12-string. More so because I still have a Gibson G45 Studio and/or a Yamaha LL16 A.R.E. on my shopping list.
Squier '83 Japan Strat
Old 08-05-2020, 06:40 AM

Going on one month since I got my G45 Standard.

Liking it more and more each day. Right out of the box, the setup was perfect.

I made two minor changes. First, it came from the factory strung with 12's. Too heavy for me so, I dropped down to a set of Elixir 11's.

The second was the truss rod cover. Not a fan of the fake wood. Very cheesy looking for a Gibson so, I replaced it with a Les Paul "Standard". Fit right in and more to my liking.

All in all, a great guitar. IMHO.....Gibson got it right with this one.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 08-05-2020, 08:46 AM

Last week, when I bought a SJ-200, I played some other guitars too. A D-18, D-28, an absolute INCREDIBLE Santa Cruz J-45 (or whatever Santa Cruz calls them) and a J-45 Walnut Studio.
It seems there are many nice Gibson Studios out there, but that one was terrible. Or I just don‘t like walnut? I don’t know, it was the first and only walnut guitar I‘ve ever had in my hands.
It was disappointing, because I always liked the idea of using walnut in guitars because of its availability.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 08-05-2020, 12:34 PM

G-45 Standard Specifications
G-45 Standard Hardware G-45 Standard Neck and Side G-45 Standard Back and Neck
Body
Body Shape
Round Shoulder
Sitka Spruce
Back
Walnut
Side
Walnut
Bracing
Traditional scalloped X-bracing
Binding
Multi-ply Top, Single-ply Back
Finish
Satin, Gloss Top
Neck
Material
Utile
Advanced Response
Scale Length
24.75" / 628.65mm
Fingerboard Material
Richlite
Fingerboard Radius
16"
Number Of Frets
Frets
Standard
Nut Material
Tusq
Nut Width
1.73" / 43.82mm
Inlays
Soft Diamond Inlays
Joint
Compound Dovetail Neck-to-body Joint
Hardware
Tuner Plating
Nickel
Bridge
Traditional Belly Up, Richlite
Saddle Material
Tusq
Tuning Machines
Mini Grover Rotomatic
Pickguard
Tear Drop
Truss Rod Cover
Walnut
Bridge Pins
Tusq
Electronics
Under Saddle Pickup
Fishman Sonitone
Controls
Sound Hole Mounted Controls
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson acoustic