The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Zbach is not brand bashing.
Gibsons are not consistent - they vary.

Frankly despite my earnest wish I have never found a Gibson that satisfied me.

They aren't for everyone.

Zbach, I think you need to trade for another make.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:03 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Humphh, yes he was. Stay off my grass, lol.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-29-2017, 03:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the J-45. Having played a number of J-45's in shops over the last few years, I can remember only one or two that sounded great (open, forward, with a nice thumping bass AND great mid and treble presence.) Most were really compressed and were immediately put back down. A great J-45 is an unbelievable guitar, but most, in my opinion, are not that. Sadly, I'm guessing you got a compressed version. Comparatively, the GS Mini will sound more open and resonant. (Yesterday, I played a J45 and a GS mini in the local GC. This particular J-45 was better than most I've played, and the GS Mini still sounded really good next to it!)

Anyway, you could try some changes, but I'd think putting the Gibson up for sale and starting the hunt over would be a good bet. If at all possible, get into a few shops and play guitars until you find one that you love! IF that's not possible, and you have to buy unseen, I would strongly recommend a new D-18 if you want a dreadnought or a 00-18 if you want a smaller bodied guitar. With the recent updates from Martin, these are both great guitars. There is variability guitar to guitar as always, but I see far more variability with Gibson than with Martin. If you buy from a reputable dealer (be sure you inquire about the best price at or near 40% off MSRP), if you feel like you got a dud, you should only be out the shipping amount. Other than owning a couple of Taylor travel size guitars, I can't speak much to Taylor guitars. I don't really resonate with their sound, as I like the more "traditional" folk / country / bluegrass / old time sound of Martin and Gibson guitars, but if the Taylor sound is what you want, then go play some!

Realizing you don't like what you have is a bummer, but I'm sure you can find something that will really inspire you to play!

One final thought--there are probably others in a similar situation, and the J-45 is a solid guitar. Maybe you could advertise for a trade? You might find someone with a Martin or Taylor at a similar price point who would be willing to do a swap. Take some photos and make a sound file. What you dislike might be right up another's alley!

Thank you very much for the advice !!
Old 04-29-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseAxe View Post
As Drive-South approximately suggested, the set up has much to do with a guitar's eq.

Do you really think the smaller box of a 00 or 000 is going to yield more warmth?
It will be the fingerstyler, but for kicking chords out, or for strumming, the J-45 would be more suited, and properly set up, would be more versatile.

At least have a pro take a look at the guitar's set up. Tell us what strings you've tried, too.

Can't make sweeping generalizations based on one improperly set up guitar.

Then get the Taylor. Or Martin. Or ...
I see what you mean!I think if the gs mini works great for strumming, a 00-18 /000-18 will do it even better .
Old 04-29-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
If you have no bias against the brand, an Eastman E 10 SS is a great alternative.
Listen to some You Tube vids. That guitar has the dry voice of the 45 but clearer and punchier.
It takes less effort to get volume out of it as well. And IMHO, the build is as good or better in some cases.
Of course, I like Eastman guitars.
I will check them out ! Thanks for the hint!
Old 04-29-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

What he said ^^^^^^
Old 04-29-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Gibsons are not consistent - they vary. .

What he said ^^^^^^
Old 04-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbach View Post
Hey together ! I'm a long year passiv reader and this is now my first post here
Welcome!

Quote:
I have the following problem :

I currently own a Gibson j45 standard ...snip... While the Gibson is clearly a well built Guitar it always sounds "sterile", not open and woody as I think it should. ...snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
The J-45 is a dream guitar for a lot of people. Try a few different kinds of strings on it before you do anything irrational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
The Gibson J45 may benefit from a setup and possibly replace the nut and saddle with bone. Gibson has been using Tusk for many years and most Gibsons sound better with bone. If you do opt for a setup tell the person doing the work that you will be playing bottleneck slide and raise the action slightly.

I'd go this route before getting rid of a J45. It sounds like yours has very low action. Low action means a shallow break angle over the bridge which translates to a thin sound.
Here's some cautionary advice based on my own experience: If you are not happy with the essential, basic tone of your J-45, do not invest in trying to "bring it around" with upgrades and different strings. I have made this mistake with multiple slope-shouldered Gibson dreads at considerable expense. A couple of J-45 Standards, a Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo, and a lovely J-35 reissue. All were very nice guitars - Just not for me.

Even after bone nuts and saddles, full set-ups, and dozens of string sets invested in trying to "bring those guitars around", I was never happy with the essential tone or feel of these guitars.

Reading this forum will sometimes trick one into thinking that one can "change" the core tone of an acoustic guitar with upgrades and strings. These things can definitely help fine tune the tone, but the essential tone of a guitar is what it is. This forum can also make us forget just how subjective tone is...Just because many experienced and well-informed guitarists love the tone of a guitar does not mean that you will.

If the J-45 "isn't for you", it might very well just not be for you...and that's fine.

By the way, my favorite guitar is my hot-rodded Gibson J-50 (a long-scale, square-shouldered dread), so generalizations based on brand can be dangerous.

Best wishes on the search! Let us know what you decided on.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-29-2017, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

If you want a J-45 type guitar with a little extra, I strong recommend you check out this slope shouldered hog back and sides with adi top. It cost an extra few bucks but it really sounds nice. FBSJ

Old 04-30-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
If you want a J-45 type guitar with a little extra, I strong recommend you check out this slope shouldered hog back and sides with adi top. It cost an extra few bucks but it really sounds nice. FBSJ

looks nice but what brand / model is it ? thanks !
Old 04-30-2017, 07:05 PM

Played a J-45 for almost 50 years. Suggest that before you sell your J-45 and get a Martin, take your J-45 with you when you go shopping for the Martin and play them both - one after the other - at the store. You may be surprised.

Also, the sound you are getting may be something as simple or complex as the room where you play. The room or guitar may be too dry or too humidified. You may have a wood floor or too little covering on the walls. My point is that it may not be the guitar.

Be careful about changing the saddle. I played a J-45 for almost 50 years. Changed the original wood saddle to bone and immediately changed it back to the wood saddle. There is a reason for the saddle selection and it's not just cost.

Next time you remove the strings, take a small camera put it through the sound hole and take some photos of the inside your guitar just to make sure there is not something going on inside.

Look at the specs for your particular J-45 you purchased . See what strings Gibson put on it when it was shipped. Try going back to those strings and see if you can tell a difference.

Finally, try having someone else play your guitar and listen. It will sound different when someone else plays -- and it may sound better than you think
since you are now in front of the sound hole instead of behind it.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
looks nice but what brand / model is it ? thanks !
That's a Froggy, and they are not cheap, your looking at 2-3x Gibson/Martin price. I've only played three ever, I'm just running in the wrong circles:-). Having said that, the SJ I played a few years ago was to-die-for and I'd easily give up two (and maybe 3) others. Which is good advice to me.

I also would try a couple Taylors if you like the little GS Mini. From what you've described a 514 (GA, there most popular shape and I think fairly simple size to 000) or the 516 (full size GS as previously mentioned). The 500 series comes in various hog flavors (all hog or with Sitka or Cedar tops). Then to give a full shake to Taylor, also check out a 714/814 and 716/816 same shapes with Rosewood (the 414/416 also comes in Rosewood).

My favorite Martin is this zone, besides the OM-18, is the J-40, which is like a deep body 000/OM. Wowzer!

I also have been looking for "my" Gibson since someone else bought it before I could. Futile so far, but the journey continues.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 04-30-2017, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Frankly despite my earnest wish I have never found a Gibson that satisfied me.

Amen. A J45 (I like them) is a warm diffused sound. A GS mini is a brash focused sound. I'd look at a smaller body. The Martins above are possibilities. So is a Gibson L00, or better yet, a Nick Lucas. (Or an LG2) Or many other smaller bodies. A Taylor 12 series. A Goodall C. The possibilities are endless.

But don't try to make something you're not happy with fit your ideal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson acoustic, taylor gs mini