The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 02-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Default For Sale - 1956 Martin D-18 (SOLD)

For Sale...56 D-18 . (SOLD)

I’ve owned this guitar for over 40 years. I purchased it from Mandolin Bros in 1975 when I was in College. I have reluctantly decided to finally put it on the market as I now find Dreadnaught’s more uncomfortable to play as I’ve gotten older and want to purchase a nice war time 00-18.

Here are the specifics - (please refer to detailed photos in link)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/68862112@N00/6xtdSb

Sounds full and rich as you would expect from this period. Extremely well balanced and excellent playability.

1 11/16ths nut, original Brazilian fretboard and bridge.

Original Finish showing honest play wear consistent for a guitar that is 60 years old. Lacquer crazing, dings, dents, finish cracks and several earlier crack repairs are included at no extra charge.

Original light rose colored Pickguard used in 1956 and 1957

Several cleated back cracks - a few cleated side cracks - stable

Original bridge plate intact and in good shape.

Evidence of a little water mark on inside of back (may have been beer from college days). No damage other than cosmetic. See pic.

Top braces were scalloped in the late 90’s by luthier Ronnie Griffin of GA. (highly respected repairman and builder). Very level top that hasn’t budged at all since this was done. I feel it helped warm and boost the sound. Ronnie did this work carefully through the sound hole and it was done both cautiously and sensibly.

Never required a neck set during my ownership altho there is evidence of a previous set. While taking photos, I noticed a small spruce tear under the top beneath the fingerboard extension (about the size of a dime). I had never caught this during my ownership so I can only assume that it occurred during the previous neck set. I spoke with John Arnold about it and he said it should not present an issue and would be something he would address at the next reset. A photo of this area is included for you to see.

Refretted and some planing of Brazilian fingerboard. Plays great and frets are in very nice shape.

Neck shape is consistent with the mid fifties - thinner profile and very comfortable.

Bone nut has been replaced and in fine shape.

Replacement bone saddle - has room to lower but plays comfortably as is.

Tuners are currently nickel Waverly’s - originals that came with guitar (Klusons) were in good working order when they removed some 15 to 20 years ago. 2 tuners appear to be slightly different year but same size and profile. Klusons will be included and are shown in pics.

Very nice Canadian case with double neck yoke - 5 latches/arch top.

As a player and small collector of some vintage instruments, I know how important it is to represent an older instrument as honestly as possible to the market. I’ve listed and sold instruments on the UMGF, Mandolin Cafe, and AGF. To that end, I’ve attempted to accurately describe the condition of this guitar in the write up above and in the over 50 photographs contained in the link. Price is $4,600 (+ shipping to 48 US). Feel free to contact me with any questions. I'm in western NC. thanks, Gill . (.....ON HOLD.....)

Last edited by geechee; 02-16-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: SOLD
Old 02-09-2017, 02:06 AM

I am sorry I missed your ad. If current sale does not go through please let me know. Thanks Tom

[email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
d-18, martin, vintage