The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-04-2020, 04:44 PM

Jay is satisfied with this guitar. There is a video of him playing it at the end.

I made this video for reverb so the first 1.5 minutes are chords and a little song and then rest is every note played.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:35 AM

The binding on that is stunning! What a beautiful instrument.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

Great thread. Many thanks!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:54 AM

Many thanks for the kind words! This is part of what helps re-excite us about building after putting in all the work to finish a guitar.

The luthier’s tank refills with juice, the last guitar satisfied the need to see the result of work. Hearing and playing the guitar are special, it’s exhilarating to finish. Despite the momentary victory the next hill approaches and attention turns to the cedar topped parlor. Smaller bodies present easier challenges for marquetry because of a smaller perimeter which makes for quicker work. Practice makes perfect so the smaller guitars are used first as there will be less opportunity for mistakes.

The next process to approach is marquetry. The same style will be used on this body as the last one. Black-white-black borders on the outside of the herring bone purfling and snakewood binding, as well as on the bridge and heel cap.

Ready to go and waiting for the luthier to finish his coffee.
First, the neck is fit into the heel channel. Binding needs to be put in before it can be sanded down flush with the neck. The channel for it to sit in is cut.

The multi-tool doesn’t cut all the way through, some chisel work is done to create the channel.

The binding is glued in. the overhand is sanded until the neck can just fit in.

The depth must be gotten right.

first black-white-black is inserted into the edge of the binding channel. It is pressed into place then a drop of thin CA fast cure and accelerant Is dropped on top.

After the binding comes the herring bone. It is thicker and bends worse. A heat gun is used to loosen it up to fit into the upper bout. It’s possible to heat it up too much to the point it falls apart.

That process is repeated for the binding and done to the top and bottom edge. Here is the final outcome.

Brazilian rosewood is old, so some holes need to be filled in.

A piece of amboyna burl is used for the heel cap.

It is inlayed then glued in.

That’s everything for the marquetry. This went much smoother than the last one. Less clean up and detail work will need to be done in the next stages. This guitar is on track to a quick birth. The next step is applying the finish.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:02 PM

The end of the track is ahead for the cedar topped parlor. It’s time to lay the finish down. Every time this is done it gets a little bitter. There are a lot of variables to control while finishing so every piece of experience goes far.

The finish is sprayed on. The first layers are thick to fill in the pores and texture of the wood.

The body is left to dry.

It’s sanded down then re-sprayed with a thin coat, this is done many times

The lacquer cures overnight. I call this the lollipop phase

The neck is also sprayed. Here is some cleanup done on the neck

The body is polished and buffed

The bridge is created and sanded

The bridge is glued on

The frets are leveled and dressed

A beautiful looking back

This guitar is finished after a few detail work. Close enough to put on the strings and take some pictures!
Old 08-13-2020, 01:48 PM

The final pictures and videos are done! This one went much easier than the last. Here's hoping the last two follow suit.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:44 PM

The series is done! Two jumbo sized guitars went through the marquetry and finishing processes, almost everything was the same as showed in the first two builds, so I didn't take as many pictures.

One of the benefits of building in a batch is that these last two are much easier than the first two, installing the binding and purfling went fast. The herring bone was difficult to work with and didn't bend properly over the upper bout with many attempted fixes. A new design for purfling made it's way to the forefront, A chain of diamonds runs down the center of the channel with resin on either side. This creates a wonderful contrast.

First the Western Red Cedar topped

Old 09-01-2020, 04:46 PM

Old 09-01-2020, 05:16 PM

Wow! These are beautiful and they sound amazing! I really love how the cedar topped guitar sounds.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:53 PM

Thank you! The cedar provides a nice tight sound, it's great for finger picking and rhythm.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:01 AM

They all sound exquisite! May I ask the final thickness measurements on WRC tops? I understand you adjust your unique bracing to the ideal deflection, using a scientific approach. I am just curious, as I had gone what may be considered a little too thin (2.2mm) on a pair of tops, but pushed forward any way, and I am astounded at how good they sound. Their longevity has yet to be determined. Cheers
Old 09-16-2020, 10:22 AM

Thank you! They were about 2.54 mm, it might have varied a little bit. I hope your guitars live a long and glorious life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop