The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Oh, my goodness, Mau! Already "The Tree" Olson, and now a braz/cedar on order, and potentially a braz/spruce in a couple of years?!?! I save my pennies to get my one Olson, and I feel very fortunate to own that. It's currently shown on Jim's website under "Recently Sold" at the bottom of page 3. Not much bling, but I sure love it!

http://www.olsonguitars.com/rs.php?page=3

I look forward to your continuing this thread once the build begins.
Bill,

Your BRW is spectacular. Your guitar is actually an upgrade from the model that I'm about to commission. As for "The Tree", I really wanted the abalone edging around the headstock and the fingerboard (Harvey Leach is building me a guitar with similar bling). The full vine inlay and 42 style extension took weeks of soul searching before I gave in and told Jim to go ahead...

A lot of people are much better off than I am -- but I choose to invest in the things I'm really passionate about. And if one day I'm stuck with kids and a family, I'll have plenty of guitars to go GAS-less until my old days.

As a single guy, my number one priority is my parents. We go fine dining several times a month and they travel on my dime to wherever they want whenever they want. They still work a modest job -- but they know they don't have to worry.

For the rest, I was always into cars and guitars. I live in Quebec, where cars rot in just a few years so I quit that hobby a few years ago. Guitars last much longer...

I think Jim will start the builds in just a few months so this thread won't go idle for too long. I will also post pictures of the BRW when I make a final decision (soon).
Old 12-31-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Wow! Another Olson?

I guess as a previous customer you must get preferential access to Jim's build schedule. That's amazing!

Congrats big guy! I know you can make em' sing. Seems only fitting you should have a few.
Thanks, Dennis!

Jim builds by batches. Last year he started in March I believe and completed 39 guitars in about 6 months. You can still get on his list for 2013. I know he will build a few JTSM I models -- probably your last chance to grab a new one.

I get the feeling he will remain active for many years but will want to maximize his time by building collector pieces (like this one: http://www.olsonguitars.com/available.html) for the most part.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarkoa599 View Post
if I were you I think I would do the same thing.
There are so many cool varieties...

Among the accessible models, I really like these:

Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
The bottom line: tonal variety. I use them interchangeably pretty much regardless of the type of piece, depending on what mood I'm in As to what motivated the builds, it was hearing Michael Card perform and record with both a Charis and Olson. Michael played a cedar/EIR Charis GC and also an cedar/EIR Olson SJ. I wanted the spruce/EIR Charis to replace my original Charis that I had sold with similar specs.
Makes sense. I just realized I may have asked you the same question a while ago -- sorry for my distraction!

The question you have to ask yourself is, what would happen if something happened to your Olson? Where's the backup if Jim retires??? You know you need another one now... LOL
Old 12-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Makes sense. I just realized I may have asked you the same question a while ago -- sorry for my distraction!
No problem! If you did, I didn't remember

Quote:
The question you have to ask yourself is, what would happen if something happened to your Olson? Where's the backup if Jim retires??? You know you need another one now... LOL
lol, let's hope I don't lose it before I'm able to commission another
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 PM

Joe, congrats big time, for the one you own and as many as they come.
Olson makes, at least IMO, the most beautiful guitar out there.
The available one is nothing short of spectacular.

BTW, has anyone had any experience with a rosewood neck acoustic?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks! That's my baby!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe Nacif View Post
Joe, congrats big time, for the one you own and as many as they come.
Olson makes, at least IMO, the most beautiful guitar out there.
The available one is nothing short of spectacular.

BTW, has anyone had any experience with a rosewood neck acoustic?
Thank you, Felipe.

I agree that Olsons are among the most beautiful guitars. I think the shape of the SJ is very harmonious -- it looks like a "modernized" OM but yet retains the vintage vibe.

I actually played the guitar that is available. The rosewood neck looks beautiful and it's a great fit with the rest of the guitar.

In practical terms, I thought it made the guitar a bit neck heavy. As for sound, I did not detect anything particularly special.

That being said, I still wanted one -- but the few remaining pieces are reserved for Jim's "special" guitars.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Thanks! That's my baby!
Good taste, Commando!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM

Joe,

I'd bet on the neck heavy thing. Some of my electrics with RW necks have a different balance, and semi hollow ones tend to be neck heavy.

It's probably a very responsive guitar, but I'd say a cedar top would be a safer choice, as it is there.
A spruce top, I'd suspect to much attack and some extra brightness. Hope I'll get to play one of these one day.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
The bottom line: tonal variety. I use them interchangeably pretty much regardless of the type of piece, depending on what mood I'm in As to what motivated the builds, it was hearing Michael Card perform and record with both a Charis and Olson. Michael played a cedar/EIR Charis GC and also an cedar/EIR Olson SJ. I wanted the spruce/EIR Charis to replace my original Charis that I had sold with similar specs.
Quote:
Bill,

Your BRW is spectacular. Your guitar is actually an upgrade from the model that I'm about to commission. As for "The Tree", I really wanted the abalone edging around the headstock and the fingerboard (Harvey Leach is building me a guitar with similar bling). The full vine inlay and 42 style extension took weeks of soul searching before I gave in and told Jim to go ahead...

A lot of people are much better off than I am -- but I choose to invest in the things I'm really passionate about. And if one day I'm stuck with kids and a family, I'll have plenty of guitars to go GAS-less until my old days.

As a single guy, my number one priority is my parents. We go fine dining several times a month and they travel on my dime to wherever they want whenever they want. They still work a modest job -- but they know they don't have to worry.

For the rest, I was always into cars and guitars. I live in Quebec, where cars rot in just a few years so I quit that hobby a few years ago. Guitars last much longer...

I think Jim will start the builds in just a few months so this thread won't go idle for too long. I will also post pictures of the BRW when I make a final decision (soon).
Quote:

I Love It!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 PM

Joe,
You are my hero!!!! I had never thought about justifying a NEW Olson because my OLD (what is it, 3 weeks old?) Olson has so much shell and therefore would show dings more than a NEW Olson that is more plainly appointed.

WOW!

Can you sell this line of thinking to my wife for me?

Come on, tell the truth...you're just doing this so all of us that can't afford an Olson can live vicariously through another build thread. I can't wait, I love watching Jim's guitars come together.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Joe,
You are my hero!!!! I had never thought about justifying a NEW Olson because my OLD (what is it, 3 weeks old?) Olson has so much shell and therefore would show dings more than a NEW Olson that is more plainly appointed.

WOW!

Can you sell this line of thinking to my wife for me?

Come on, tell the truth...you're just doing this so all of us that can't afford an Olson can live vicariously through another build thread. I can't wait, I love watching Jim's guitars come together.

Jimmy
Hey Jimmy,

It's a tough sell for sure. In fact, I couldn't even sell it to my own family and I'm a grown up man (I think). I told them Jim's base price is $12,500 and then I added "a few options". Nobody had the guts to ask me for a precise number...

I just received some pictures from Jim. The set is so spectacular I may have to revise my specs. Stay tuned...
Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM

I just got a note from Jim asking whether I would care for a special set of old growth BRW he has been saving for many years.

Not in my wildest dreams was I expecting a set like this:

Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM

That's a really nice looking guitar. Congrats
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop