The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-03-2002, 11:23 AM

I concur with the others that Gibson consistency over the years leaves a lot be desired. However, find a good one and you won't be disappointed. I think a good Gibson, such as J45, Hummingbird, Dove, or J200 are far and away the best strumming guitars. Taylors and Martins do other things better, but give me a good Gibson for strumming, especially rock strumming.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grip
I concur with the others that Gibson consistency over the years leaves a lot be desired. However, find a good one and you won't be disappointed. I think a good Gibson, such as J45, Hummingbird, Dove, or J200 are far and away the best strumming guitars. Taylors and Martins do other things better, but give me a good Gibson for strumming, especially rock strumming.
I tried a humming bird the other day, it was pretty, well not bad, just nothing at all special, looks nice and classy though.

As for LP's I think they are the best looking electrics (short of highend customs from private luthiers), but close inspection have shown they are not as intricately made for 4 grand. seriously, for that much money, there shouldn't be any rough spots on finish and the end of the frets shouldn't be painted with the bindings.

They are good guitars still, just ridiculusly priced.

Never played a Heritage, although it be nice to try a new jonny smith. (oh yeah, I definitely pay to have the headstock changed, even if it allows for better string angles, it's just down right ugly, but that's my opinion)
Old 07-03-2002, 06:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by virtuoso
[B]

I tried a humming bird the other day, it was pretty, well not bad, just nothing at all special, looks nice and classy though.

You do have to find a good one, which isn't easy. If you can find one from the 60's, they tend to be pretty good. I haven't tried a new one recently.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

I have a Heritage 575, which is their version of the Gibson 175. I love it. I had their new pickups put on after I purchased it, which made it even better. I talked to the guy who invented the pickups when I called the factory to find out some things about the guitar.

I was told that the plant in Kalamazoo was purchased because those guys didn't want to move.

I don't see that their resale is awful. I couldn't find one like I wanted used when I was looking, so I bought new. I felt like the 575 was every bit the guitar the 175 was for about 1/2 the price.

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison

Last edited by Hondo; 07-03-2002 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:39 PM

I just restrung my gibson...a '37 l-30 or something. It's an archtop...pretty cool and loud.

You know, it's seems like it would be easier and cheaper to make an electric guitar than an acoustic.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:39 PM
meridian

I picked up a used J-200 last week. Hey I don't want to put any more money in the stock market right now, so used guitars it is! At least I get to have some fun with my money and probably get it all back+ if/when I sell 'em.

J-200s are just plain magnificent! Versatile, killer tone, volume like no other when you want it, sweet for fingerpicking. And mine has been pretty well played (so much so that the engraving in the pickguard is half worn off!).

Gibsons are not as refined as Taylors, but have their own "magic."
Old 07-16-2002, 08:12 AM

I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom - 1976, a Southern Jumbo - 1968, and a J-55 - 1980(?) . . . anyhow, I don't play the Les Paul much but when I do I am always pleased with it (other than it weighing a ton).

But, I do like acoustics and my J-55 is a wonderful and special guitar. Brazil rosewood back and sides, sunburst top, and plays like a dream. The sound is just beautiful. This guitar has a slight parabolic back which I think helps produce such a rich and full sound. As a matter of fact, it's going in for a neck reset and refret this coming weekend . . . I can't wait to get it back!

Roman
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Old 07-16-2002, 10:11 AM

Thought I'd chime in a bit about Gibson guitars. I can only speak for the acoustic side of the house though.

Gibson certainly has a different voice than either a Taylor or Martin for that matter, so any A/B or /C comparison is simply a very subjective and moot point at best. In fact, my main three guitars are, (you guessed it, one of each) Taylor W14ce, Gibson J-200 and Martin D-28.

While virtually every Taylor is quite nice, I have found over the years that Gibson guitars must certainly be hand picked and there is very little consistency thoughout the Gibson line, except for the "Norlin years," which were consistenly awful!

For exceptional Gibson acoustic guitars, look for vintage 30's, 40's and early 50's of just about any of their models (if your wallet is big enough). From the late 50's to mid to late 60's, Gibson produced some very fine acoustics, but you really had to look carefully. Some were dogs, but some were excellent. Starting in about 1969 or so, just about every Gibson acoustic should be avoided.

But beginning in about 1990 or '91, the Bozeman plant started using the old technology and put some pride back into their workmanship and the instrument quality improved. Many of the newer reissues are some fine sounding guitars, but you still need to look carefully. I have a 1991 Koa J-200 that has settled in to one outstanding rhythm guitar. My 1991 Nick Lucas Special is a great little fingerpicker. I also have a 67' J-45 that I usually keep in high-strung tuning for backing rhythms when I record. It sounds great at regular pitch also. The mahogany has really mellowed over the years. I have owned this one since 1970.

I didn't mean for this to drag on, but I basically wanted to express that not all Gibson acoustics are faulty. But you have to really search out the gems. Whereas you could just about choose any Taylor off the rack and it will be very consistent and balanced most of the time.

Apples and oranges? A variety of fruit is a good thing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars