The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-26-2003, 01:04 PM

If you want vintage tone for a cheap price, try the new 57/62 Fender pickups. I have them in my Classic 60 Strat and for the money, they are hard to beat, if you want to spend a lot, got with Lindy Fralins.

Tom
Old 02-26-2003, 03:18 PM

Having owned 3 strats and 2 teles with various pickups, I would strongly recommend the Vintage Noiseless pickups. The clean tone is the best I have heard from any electric pickup, and I have frequently recorded direct with these pickups (no amp/mic). My second choice would be Vintage '62 pickups, although they will have a slight hum.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Red
There are very few products I've purchased that have blown me away so much that I have to forecfully rave about them.

BILL LAWRENCE p'ups are the most incredible p'ups on the market. I was asking the same question as you a year ago when I was building my custom strat. I went to all of the forums and read the reviews on Harmony Central and I could find nothing but praise for Bill's pups as well as, his and Becky's service.
Yes, I've heard this as well. I've been meaning to get Bill Lawrence 280s for my strat for quite some time. I haven't been playing it all too much lately so it's one of those 'in the future' upgrades.

Do take a look at these pickups. they're supposed to be superb.

Allan
Old 02-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve314
Two of my three Strats have the stock pickups. I've never been big on "mods", although I have put Lace Sensors in my '90 American Standard. I'm getting ready to go back to stocks on that one, though, as well, just for something different.

Since yours is MIM, though, the pickups are somewhat different. They're made in Corona, but I believe a different gauge wire is used, and I believe that the number of wraps are different than on the standard "American" pickups. Hence, tone will be somewhat different.

Does that case come with the guitar? A brown tolex case? NICE SCORE! "Excalibur" (my Sunburst '90, Rosewood board) resides in one of those...

Steve
Hey Steve,

When I saw this one, I immediately thought of your "Excalibur"! I'm hoping it serves me half as well as yours has for you!!

BTW, this is an 2001 MIA (notice the 22nd fret), so my guess the p'ups should be an upgrade from the MIM's. I had a 97 MIM that I put the Texas Specials in. Being the IDOT that I am, I sold that Strat and the TS p'ups! It was for a good cause, tho - My first 514ce...

Yeah, the brown Tolex case is included! According to folks I've talked with, that's a $150 upgrade from the SKB case. YAHOO!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Cocobologist

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to give them all a lot of thought and see if I can sample before I buy. The great thing about pickups in Strats is they are a breeze to change out so it's not out of the question to perhaps have a couple different setups pre-installed on pickguards...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-26-2003, 05:18 PM

You may have already gathered this from my enthusiasm but I forgot to mention that the Bill Lawrence p'ups are totally noiseless. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about my "humbucking" pups in my PRS but they still sound great.

<>< Red ><>

814ce
USA Custom Strat (MY BABY! thanks Tommy)
PRS Singlecut (10-top with Paua birds)
Vox AD120
Ultrasound 50-DS?
Female Golden Retriever-Zoe
Male Golden Retriever-Rusty (aka Bad Bad Rusty Brown)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars