The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-26-2021, 10:48 AM

Default Michael Messer Resophonics

I'm looking at buying another resonator and I have been particularly interested in the Michael Messer guitars. Anybody here have the MM reso and what are your thoughts/opinons on these
Old 06-26-2021, 03:09 PM

They are highly recommended for construction, set up, quality, tone and customer service. Messer inspects each personally and also packs and ships them. He also offers a forum for slide guitarists, music in general and specifically resonator guitars. He is a leading expert and performer on resophonics.

His forum or his website are the best places to ask him presales questions and his website with descriptions of the four models if you wish to consider any is https://www.michaelmesser.co.uk/

While I play electrified acoustics, I have been a member of the Michael Messer forum since 2013 and I have heard really nothing but positive comments from the community of members who are owners of his instruments and the address there is https://michaelmesser.proboards.com/

Last edited by slide496; 06-26-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:15 AM

I've played a number of them and currently own a 14 fret steel-bodied Blues model. I'd say they're good, honest, serious instruments that sound great and play well.
Here's a low-tech video I recorded this morning playing John Henry - a bit muddy just through the onboard mic on my laptop, with bare fingers and strings that need changing soon, so you can imagine how much louder it is if you use fingerpicks.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

I suggest you ask Robin, Wales. He knows all about such things.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe paul View Post
I've played a number of them and currently own a 14 fret steel-bodied Blues model. I'd say they're good, honest, serious instruments that sound great and play well.
Here's a low-tech video I recorded this morning playing John Henry - a bit muddy just through the onboard mic on my laptop, with bare fingers and strings that need changing soon, so you can imagine how much louder it is if you use fingerpicks.

That has a real nice tone. What brand and gauge of strings are you using? I'm looking at buying a used 12 fret blues MM
Old 06-29-2021, 01:17 PM

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.
I'm pretty sure it's Newtone nickel strings, 15 to 56 ... though maybe it was their Monel (not Martin), the strings have been on quite a while.
And a Diamond bottleneck.
I used to have a 12 fret one, really liked it too. The shape, the size and the look all work better for me than the 14 in theory, but this 14 fret one has convinced me to stick with it.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:11 AM

For that price-point (beginner / intermediate) the Michael Messer resonator instruments are the best of the bunch ~ after sales service is exemplary as Michael will answer any queries personally, and every instrument receives a full string change & set-up by Dave King in Berkshire before Michael himself gives it a final check before shipping......you won't find that type of service from other names in that price bracket 😉

Enjoy the new guitar!!

Ian.

P.S.....nice playing joe paul!
Old 07-07-2021, 03:37 PM

I've had a couple of the MM Blues models and a Blues 28 (wooden body). They are well made, sound great, and as already mentioned, set up by Dave King, who is the NRP technician for the UK and a maker of excellent resonator guitars.

The service from Michael is excellent. The quality control is excellent - my first MM Blues was a "B" grade model, though it seemed perfect to me. He even sent me a replacement biscuit for the Blues 28 free of charge - even though I bought it 2nd hand.
Stanford Furch D1P
Old 07-07-2021, 06:42 PM

OP here. I bought a 2nd hand MM blues 12 from the 12th fret in Canada, it's shipped out, so not sure how long it will take to get to the states into Pennsylvania. Looking forward to trying it out.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:12 PM

Just received my MM resonator in the mail today. i was very surprised by the sound quality, build quality and finish for such a cheap price. It was set up extremely well with D'adarrio 12-53, and I can play regular style with ease, although I am going to swap string guage and try a set of 13-56 for better slide playing, but over all I am extremely impressed. So much so that i actually like the feel of this one better than I did my 6K national reso rockett. Granted the reso rockett was a wood body and this one is metal but im having more enjoyment from tis MM than I did from my National, not sure if that is because of the metal body vs wood or not.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:14 AM

Congratulations! That's good news, the 12th fret are good people.
Enjoy getting to know the guitar.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
Just received my MM resonator in the mail today. i was very surprised by the sound quality, build quality and finish for such a cheap price. It was set up extremely well with D'adarrio 12-53, and I can play regular style with ease, although I am going to swap string guage and try a set of 13-56 for better slide playing, but over all I am extremely impressed. So much so that i actually like the feel of this one better than I did my 6K national reso rockett. Granted the reso rockett was a wood body and this one is metal but im having more enjoyment from tis MM than I did from my National, not sure if that is because of the metal body vs wood or not.
Hi - just thought I'd mention that I'm in New York and I use the Newtones from the UK - in my case 15-56 - on my parlor resonators. If at any point you decide you'd like to try them,they make them in monel, PB and nickel I've ordered from the Uk directly and the turn around time was under two weeks.

Harriet
Old 07-13-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
Hi - just thought I'd mention that I'm in New York and I use the Newtones from the UK - in my case 15-56 - on my parlor resonators. If at any point you decide you'd like to try them,they make them in monel, PB and nickel I've ordered from the Uk directly and the turn around time was under two weeks.

Harriet
Hi Harriet
I just ordered a set of the MM newtone strings yesterday to try in the 13-56 gauge. I also use the Thomastik Infeld Plectrums on my Taylor 914CE in 11-50, but I am going to try them also on my resonator in the 13-60 gauge. I love the low tension feel of the TI but I hear the newtones are somewhat low tension as well
Old 07-13-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
Hi Harriet
I just ordered a set of the MM newtone strings yesterday to try in the 13-56 gauge. I also use the Thomastik Infeld Plectrums on my Taylor 914CE in 11-50, but I am going to try them also on my resonator in the 13-60 gauge. I love the low tension feel of the TI but I hear the newtones are somewhat low tension as well
Yes I think they are low tension. Just in case you haven't used round cores before, Newtone recommends not to cut before bringing them to pitch.

You might consider going on the MM forum - and double checking the use of 13-60. I don't follow the string gauge threads that closely but 60 is somewhat atypical for a biscuit resonator.

Harriet

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments