The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2021, 11:50 AM

Default NGD: Yamaha FSX5

Just thought I'd share my overall impressions on the MIJ Yamaha FSX5 Red Label. These reviews helped me in my decision so I'll submit mine!
I wanted a shorter scale, 1 3/4 nut, mahogany sides/spruce top to pair with my Martin HD28. I narrowed it down to a 00-18, Washburn, Eastman, and the FSX5. I am really happy with my decision on the Yamaha.
Right out of the box it plays incredible. It is such a smooth playing guitar. The neck is fast but not slick. No sharp frets. Just smooth and effortless. The tone is fantastic. A lot of people try to compare this with a martin as they are very close is specs but this sounds nothing like the martin tone. This is bright and heavy on the highs...I feel the martin had a bit more wood and depth. Anyway...the sound coming from this Yamaha fills the room and is almost angelic? The fit finish and sound is something I'd expect from a guitar 2 or 3x the cost. My only gripe is it lacks any real low end or bass and is not all that loud (though that's what the HD28 and electronics are for). And it's on the heavy side. I think the electronics add abt 6oz?
Also the case is pretty darn impressive!
I would recommend this to anyone that's considering it. Sorry...no pic because I have no idea how to
Happy playing all!
Old 04-08-2021, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Yamahas sure get a lot of love here.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:46 PM

Zero, Welcome to the AGF!

Congrats on the FSX5. Given the lack of bass, did you consider the FGX5 over the FS?
Old 04-08-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Zero, Welcome to the AGF!

Congrats on the FSX5. Given the lack of bass, did you consider the FGX5 over the FS?
Co.

No, I knew it existed but I wanted the smaller body since I already have a dread. Though if it were reversed I'm sure I'd be thrilled with the FG!
Old 04-08-2021, 08:41 PM

My FS5 has great bass and is quite loud. I would be patient and let the top develop a little. For me, the guitar took a good 6 months to start to mellow out and become what is now an even more amazing sounding guitar. That being said, there are tons of different strings to try that may help. I tend to like the Martin authentic pb’s 92/8. Overall, they are great strings for it.

If you have ears for a dread, any 000 sized guitar may be a bit of a change.

Congratulations on the guitar! I’m sure you will come to love it even more over time.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 04-08-2021, 09:39 PM

Welcome and congratulations on a nice Yamaha! Folks here convinced me to give one a try, and it worked out great. I got the smaller nut family sibling the AC5, and I find it to be pleasing and very comfortable. In regards to bass reach and output, I just try to describe it as not a "Martin", especially a dread. Of course, this is true of a lot of brands.

Hope you continue to enjoy yours. They are very happy on the sofa!

Best,

Mac
Old 04-08-2021, 09:50 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBee View Post
Congratulations! Yamahas sure get a lot of love here.
They do indeed, and it is well deserved. Yamaha acoustics have quality, tone and practicality wrapped up.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 04-08-2021, 10:50 PM

I concur with your assessment of the quality and smooth playability of these fine instruments.

My FS5 is only five months old, but there has been a very definitive change in the depth and bass response of the guitar. It does, indeed, fill the room with its sweet sound. Pretty remarkable, really, given its price point.

I am using Martin Monel 12s on mine and they’re perfect for it. It took me a while to adapt to the neck width/profile and I almost sold it. I altered my positioning a bit and it is now working great for me. I’m glad I didn’t sell it.

Rb
Old 04-09-2021, 12:34 AM

Smile

Congrats on getting your FSX5! I agree with most of the points brought up about the guitar. Except that I find the bass response very evident in my FS5. It is currently strung with Ernie Ball. 80/20. Bronze Alloy. 12-54.

Yes, the Red Labels are slightly on the heavier side. My FS5 weighs 4 lbs 2.85oz. They are very well built and will last a long time if it’s well taken care off. So will most guitars!

Enjoy playing and bonding with your guitar!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 04-09-2021, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! I have the FG5 on order. I said I’d given up dreads as too unwieldy but I wanted to recapture the tone and feel and nostalgia of the Yamaha my mother bought me in 1974 (now long gone). It should be a nice complement to my 000-18. And who cares if it looks too big for me...it’s my 60th birthday present to myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fsx5, mij, red label, yamaha