The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-28-2020, 08:50 AM

Question Decoding Goodall guitars

The marmite of the high end acoustic world? More ‘Taylor’ than a, well, Taylor. Just a shinier Santa Cruz and more expensive. The best small factory builders in North America today? Yep I’ve heard it all and that’s just comments on this forum related to Goodall guitars

So what gives?

Would love to hear from owners (and ex, disappointed previous lovers) alike as to what makes these guitars what they are

Oh and by the way, I don’t have one though I’ve flirted many times

Over to the wise...!
Martin D-42
Santa Cruz PJ Braz/Adi
Froggy C Custom
Lowden S-50 Master Honduran Rosewood, Cedar combo

1971 Kohno No:20 Rosewood Classical

Fender Strat ‘59 masterbuilt Paul Waller
Les Paul CS ‘60
Fender Tele CS ‘52
Rickenbacker 330 12
Les Paul Custom ‘57 black beauty
Old 08-28-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I owned a TROM from 2003 that was a great guitar, but ultimately didn't float my boat as it wasn't responsive enough for me.

I now own a TR000 from 2005 that is probably my favorite guitar that I've ever played (which isn't a huge number, but does include other Goodalls, Lowdens, Froggy Bottoms, Santa Cruz, Collings, Bourgeois etc)

Goodalls are known for their crazy full voices with lots of overtones. This would be perhaps too much for me, but their traditional line seems to be in the goldilocks zone for me.

They seem to be well loved on the used market, so if you can get a used one for a good deal it's fairly risk free as they seem to sell pretty easily.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have played a ton of Goodall's over the years and have heard players bring out the best in them. I don't think that I am one of those players. The Goodall's that I have played just haven't produced the variety of tones that my ears are looking for. To be fair, I played guitars by Kathy Wingert, Kevin Ryan, Jim Olson and Linda Manzer before I played a Goodall and those guitars matched what I was seeking so I didn't really have a compelling reason to further explore Goodall. But, I could listen to Doug Smith play his Goodall all day long!

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-28-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Have owned several, including a Brazilian-backed Concert Jumbo.

Wonderfully voiced, to my ears, with a full, colorful tone and plenty of nice bass.

One curious thing about them is "Goodall fatigue," which I myself experienced. It's a kind of headache or auditory overload that results from so many overtones being produced. I've especially experienced that on cedar-topped guitars, which overload pretty easily.

All that said, I'm on the lookout for my next Goodall, perhaps a traditional model.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 08-28-2020, 09:34 AM

Goodalls are not all the same, so again, trying to have that discussion is a non-starter for me.

Each of James’ models have their own voice, and then each of those, have a different voice.

They must be played to be appreciated, and understood.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 AM

Which other brands would you put them next too in terms of build quality and tone?

Another thing I ‘heard’ was that they used to be made in Hawaii and if you can get a Goodall with that providence then you’re on to a winner (maybe as they were all just made by Luke and James at the times and expanded when they came to the mainland)
Anyone care to comment on that particular parable?

Thank in y’all
RJ
Martin D-42
Santa Cruz PJ Braz/Adi
Froggy C Custom

Les Paul CS ‘60
Fender Tele CS ‘52
Rickenbacker 330 12
Old 08-28-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I’ve heard people search out the Hawaii guitars but most would say the current Ft Bragg guitars are the best. I have never played a bad one, in fact, I’ve never played a good one. They’ve all been fantastic. I’ve owned 2 Concert Jumbos in Mahogany and Koa. I sold both just because I prefer a bigger neck and wider saddle spacing, but tonally I don’t think you could do much better, different, but not better. They excel at fingerstyle and dropped tunings. They’d not be the best strummers or blues/rag style guitars since they have such huge sustain.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R J Luther View Post
Another thing I ‘heard’ was that they used to be made in Hawaii and if you can get a Goodall with that providence then you’re on to a winner (maybe as they were all just made by Luke and James at the times and expanded when they came to the mainland)
I think you might be a mixed up. As far as I understand, they were a small factory with more than 2 and less than 20 people in Hawaii. When they returned to the mainland it went down to two and the prices rose. I think that the used market also reflects the return to the mainland with increased prices. I've heard mixed reviews of whether the move actually resulted in an improvement in quality, which was already very high. I haven't yet got my hands on a Ft. Bragg Goodall, so I can't really say from my own experience.

The two Goodall guitars that I have seen have been as good as anything I have seen from any of the small shops in terms of fit and finish, and better than some.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R J Luther View Post
Which other brands would you put them next too in terms of build quality and tone?

Thank in y’all
RJ
Actually, it's the other way around - when Goodall was in Hawaii, they were producing many more guitars than they are now. They had a staff of I believe 8-10 people. Now that they have moved back to FT Bragg, it's pretty much James and Luke doing the building.

I have played many island made and mainland guitars as well. Honestly have never heard or played a bad one. I have heard them described as the grand piano of acoustics, which I think is a pretty accurate description. As has been mentioned, they have as much or more sustain / overtones as any guitar out there. To some, it can be overwhelming and just too much of a good thing. The quality is the same whether it is a Hawaiian or California build. The Ft. Bragg guitars were a big jump in list price, and brought the older used ones up in price right along with it.

To this day, the single best guitar I have ever played was a brand new 2004 Goodall Standard in Rosewood / Sitka at a little guitar store in Clermont, Fl that was just absolutely magic. I still regret not buying it to this day. The proverbial one that got away.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Looks like Brian beat me to it!

Here's a great video of a Goodall build - great behind the scenes look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS78naDiB4k

Last edited by Mak2525; 08-28-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:22 AM

Great informative replies, thank you! This forum really is the place to be if you’re on a quest to understand anything, and I mean anything, in the acoustic world.

My last request would be if anyone has some great Goodall eye that they’d care to post? A thread just isn’t a thread without some curvy bodies to peruse

Thx

RJ
Martin D-42
Santa Cruz PJ Braz/Adi
Froggy C Custom

Les Paul CS ‘60
Fender Tele CS ‘52
Rickenbacker 330 12
Old 08-28-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Goodalls are not all the same, so again, trying to have that discussion is a non-starter for me.

Each of James’ models have their own voice, and then each of those, have a different voice.

They must be played to be appreciated, and understood.
Exactly. I would describe my Goodall Rosewood Standard as lively, responsive, lush, colorful, full of sustain, and can get loud easily.
I’m sure I left a few adjectives out...
Here’s an instrumental on my Goodall

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan/n...nnings-goodall
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 08-28-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Here's my Traditional 000 with Honduran Rosewood and Adirondack. It has the slotted headstock option which means thst it has a wider neck (1 13/16") and a non-adjustable carbon fiber trussrod.
20200806_130257.jpg20200806_125951.jpg20200806_125118.jpg

Last edited by brianlcox; 08-28-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Great guitars in general and quite consistent in quality. I sold my Standard because it had too much overtone content for my liking. I like dry guitars. Goodalls are generally pretty rich with overtones.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Here are a few and a Froggy Bottom friend as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20C4A132-2140-4FEA-9EC6-9BF7848D704E.jpg (45.2 KB, 275 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
america, goodall, luthier, premium