The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2016, 08:50 PM

Default Guitar Center Repair service....

So I know Guitar Center isn't usually held in very high regard on this forum for several completely understandable reasons. But my question doesn't so much have to do with the sales aspect of their business. Im curious if anyone has ever used their repair service. Normally I wouldn't even consider using them. but based on their website, All their tech's are certified, and attend regular training classes. Plus, their repairs are all "guaranteed"whatever that means. Are tech's from smaller local shops required to attend any sort of classes or typically have formal training? Has anyone used Guitar Center for repairs? Should I stay far far away?

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 03-04-2016, 09:19 PM

McDonald employees go through training too and the food is very consistent. Consistently bad. I recommend a Yelp search if it is available to you.
Custom Hardtail Maple Neck Strat w/ EMGs
Custom Hardtail Maple Neck 12-String Jazzmaster
Danelectro 12-String DC-12
Hagstrom HJ800
Peerless Monarch
Fender Champ Tube Amp
Fender Pro Jr Tube Amp
Old 03-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

My local GC tech does a great job doing setups. He knows exactly how I like them. A little odd, because I've never bought a guitar from GC. I just decided to give their tech a try at doing the setup on a new guitar because my usual guy was backed up. GC tech did a great job so I've stuck with him. I'd probably use my regular guy for anything more complicated than a basic setup, though.

Suspect you can't paint all GC techs with the same brush...I happened to get a good on - at least when to comes to a setup .

Last edited by Rev Roy; 03-05-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammie200 View Post
McDonald employees go through training too and the food is very consistent. Consistently bad. I recommend a Yelp search if it is available to you.
haha I actually worked at Mcdonalds for an extremely brief period when I was 15. I think my training went something like "here's the deep fryer, when it beeps take the fries out. Got it? okay now get to work"

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 03-04-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammie200 View Post
I dont mind Mcdonalds or Guitar Center but that is just me.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 PM

I used to go to my closest GC for repair work because it wasn't actually GC employees. It was an outpost of Parsons Guitars. The same dude who built Jack White's triple jet. He's since relocated to Los Angeles.

I found a decent guy at a local independent. Went in with a cheap guitar and had a bone saddle made and asked for a setup for slide with my specifications. Came out perfect and he hand cut the saddle from a large piece of bone. No preordered sand to fit blank. I'm happy
Old 03-04-2016, 11:15 PM

Being in IT as long as I have to me a guitar tech is very similar. Anyone can take the classes and get some training and even get a degree but not everyone excels nor not everyone takes pride in what they do. GC is very corporate and as such most are there for the paycheck so a guitar tech there IMHO would be a gamble.

Now take the mom and pop shops which to me take more pride in their work and because of that I am more inclined to go with them.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 PM

Default GC "Garage Techs"

GC use to have good techs in some stores. They had an arrangement with some techs that rented space and gave GC a cut of the take.

The new techs are "certified" in that they complete an on line course.

For string changes, yeah, go for it. Anything beyond that, I'm using a fella who was one of the last independents that they had. It's an hour drive, rather than the 15 minutes it use to take to get to the GC, but it's worth it.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:22 AM

I wouldn't use GC for any guitar work.

YMMV.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:34 AM
Guest316

It clearly depends on which Guitar Center you go to. In my town, GC is the only source for any high-end or high quality guitar related product. Therefore, the staff there are very knowledgeable people and the techs are the second best in town. (lol - Baron Martin lives and works in ELP - always numero uno). I can see where in larger or more "music-centric" cities, the high zoot techs would not necessarily work for GC - but here, that's where all the professional and gigging musicians go. And the entire staff are not only well versed, but are working musicians themselves.

All the guitars in our high-end room are freshly stringed and tuned to pitch. That speaks to the quality of staff.

But GC nationwide is not the same store to store. So OP, your question cannot be answered (for your specific GC) except by trying out the repair people at GC yourself, or at least talking to some local musicians. This is something you really need to research locally.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:32 AM

I think it varies widely with which store you're dealing with. My local GC is a repair nightmare. I watched them refret a brand new guitar and completely ruin it. There was a little bit of rocking going on in a few areas, but after GC was finished, the fretboard was rocking everywhere.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:10 AM

I think the question is, Would Martin, Taylor, etc, etc void my warranty if a GC tech were to make repairs on my guitar? If so, you may want to get factory authorized repair tech. Strings, basic setup, wiring would not be a major problem for me. jt
Old 03-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
So I know Guitar Center isn't usually held in very high regard on this forum for several completely understandable reasons. But my question doesn't so much have to do with the sales aspect of their business. Im curious if anyone has ever used their repair service. Normally I wouldn't even consider using them. but based on their website, All their tech's are certified, and attend regular training classes. Plus, their repairs are all "guaranteed"whatever that means. Are tech's from smaller local shops required to attend any sort of classes or typically have formal training? Has anyone used Guitar Center for repairs? Should I stay far far away?
They performed a minor repair for me. A GC tech fixed the amplifier chord connection jack on my Gretsch electric guitar. If I remember the cost was $20.00 (about what the repair would have cost me since I'd have to buy the tools). The repair has held up for about 3 years.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:04 PM

I have a very fine repair guy at my local G.C. in East Brunswick N.J....Very respectable and caring.I believe they are independent and rent space.

I had a very bad experience at my favorite "serious" dealer,where I bought the vast majority of my high end guitars(H&D,Bourgeois,Collings).

They were usually good,but when I brought in my Eastman Slope(now sold)for a pickguard installation,the tech burnt the finish on the back and did an unbelieveably sloppy job on the pickguard.

"Then" had the nerve to claim I brought the guitar in that way!

It's really a crap shoot,imo.....Best to get some true feedback about the "specific" technician.

Good luck
Old 03-05-2016, 02:06 PM

I purchased an SG about 5 years ago, and when it came, the neck had gotten broken at the nut. It was an angular break so it was repairable. I took it to GC, and they fixed it for $125.00.
They also touched up the crack with new paint.
I assumed the paint was an auto grade with hardener.
I hung the guitar up on the wall, and in a couple days took it down to play. Most of the new finish stayed hung up. They should have warned about that. I've since then learned how to repair most things by my self, I've never had the issue with the finish since.

Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar center, repair