The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 01:02 PM

Sometimes amazes me how often here some one is just looking for a simple answer and so many will question their intellect or comment on their motives.

I have hard shell cases for all my guitars.

I also have a Taylor gig bag I mentioned above and use it on occasion to transport any one of my guitars.
They are only guitars - wood, steel and some glue -

Having blown out both shoulders in years past and joint pains all over in my years of abusing my body -
Sometimes carrying around something that is substantially lighter gets me and the guitar there as opposed to not.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrstrat View Post
Wow all the flak I'm getting just for asking a simple question? Thanks Guys really great. To the others who helped me out I really appreciate it! I'll go look those out!
I would hardly call this "flak." This is a very well-behaved bunch of dudes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
Sometimes amazes me how often here some one is just looking for a simple answer and so many will question their intellect or comment on their motives.
Funny what happens when you openly request someone's opinion. You tend to get it.

Great guitars deserve to be preserved.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:33 PM

I almost want to buy this Trom as a mercy purchase. Is there a Goodall "Rescue network"?

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 02-09-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone had any input on the best gigbag that affords the most protection!
Best to look for a solution to a simple question - - -
Old 02-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Wow all the flak I'm getting just for asking a simple question? Thanks Guys really great.
Naw, you're misunderstanding. Many people believe that an expensive high-ender like your new baby would be relatively unprotected in a gig bag, and although some of them (nudge, nudge) could probably use a little more "grace" in the way they respond they've got your best interest and your new guitar's best interest at heart. Take what is said with due consideration, and study these gig bags thoroughly before you go that route. A good Hiscox standard is less than 300 bills and will provide you an excellent level of protection.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Naw, you're misunderstanding. Many people believe that an expensive high-ender like your new baby would be relatively unprotected in a gig bag, and although some of them (nudge, nudge) could probably use a little more "grace" in the way they respond they've got your best interest and your new guitar's best interest at heart. Take what is said with due consideration, and study these gig bags thoroughly before you go that route. A good Hiscox standard is less than 300 bills and will provide you an excellent level of protection.
This. My intention was not to challenge someone's motives or intellect, but I own a Goodall and know how special the guitar is. I would be crushed if something happened to mine, so I would not recommend a gig bag for it under any circumstances. A light weight alternative would be a Hiscox or if you can drop the cash, a Hoffee case.

That said, if you must, a Reunion Blues Continental was the best and most protective gig bag I have ever used.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Wow all the flak I'm getting just for asking a simple question? Thanks Guys really great. To the others who helped me out I really appreciate it! I'll go look those out!

Great guitars deserve to be heard.
I don't think anyone is giving you flak but people here are just trying to point out to you that it's a really bad idea to carry it in a gigbag...and a hiscox is very light indeed...but in the end, it's your guitar after all and it's your choice...
Old 02-09-2016, 08:41 PM

Default Fusion gig bag

You want a good gig bag, not wrist-slapping on how much better protection hard cases afford? I won't lecture you. Some folks cannot understand that others are willing to risk a somewhat greater chance of injury to gain lighter weight. In my opinion, a hard case compared to a quality soft case offers only one major advantage - crush resistance. If you don't think that is at all likely, then why not have a soft case?

I have a Fusion. It is extremely well made, and the most expensive case I have bought. I find it quite protective. It is bulky, as are most of the best gig bags, and it's quite light. Not as light as my far cheaper Access case, but it offers far more bells and whistles and somewhat better protection. (Access Stage 3, by the way, is also really good case as I understand, as is Mono - why are they only made in black? Does Henry Ford own the company?)

I have 2 gig bags by a far cheaper brand and while well enough made, they are not designed to offer much protection. There are palpable advantages gained when you pay more.

Tric, incidently, is not a gig bag, but it does offer pretty good protection while keeping both the weight and cost down.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Mono Cases

It's really disappointing that this topic quickly erodes to rigid criticism of the idea and question about gigbags.

A high quality gigbag or soft case is a legitimate choice that works for many; regardless of the guitar cost. My gigging partner very quickly bought a hybrid gigbag for his Buscarino. But the price isn't as important as playing the gig. Even if the guitar I need for a gig cost $10, I need it for the gig.

I researched it a lot before I found my solution.

Hybrid style soft cases, beyond offering protection, are lightweight, free your hands, and carry quite a bit of gear.

I have 2 Mono cases I use for gigs or any other time I carry my instruments.

Since researching the purchase and the two years I used them, I've yet to find them lacking.

I can carry my entire signal chain (Tonedeg, Ditto x2, Delay, and Boss Tuner) necessary small items.

If I were shipping or stowing my guitar in a bus/train/van/truck/trailer/ship cargo space I'd use a travel case. You have to know associated risks with your behavior and environment you travel. I travel by automobile and play frequent gigs in varying environments. A quality hybrid case works.

Last edited by Turp; 02-10-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:23 PM

Default Hiscox VS Mono VS TRIC VS Taylor hard bag

I keep all of my guitars in their Hard shell cases, but I do have several carring cases such as incase, TRIC, and Taylor hard bag.

I do not know the OP's situation, but I would suggest Mono even though it is heavy.
I am not sure if TRIC gives better protection than Mono, but TRIC is really light.

I usually use TRIC or Hiscox when I put my guitar in the car due to their light weight.

If I walk and take a bus, I would carry Incase or Taylor hard bag because my TRIC does not have back straps.

I think Taylor hard bag is pretty protective, but I trust Incase or Mono more.

In conclusion, if you care the protection, I would recomend Mono. If you care the weight, I would recomend TRIC.
2006 R. Taylor Style 1 Cutaway Old Growth Redwood/Madagascar (ES V1.3)
2005 Tippin Jumbo Adirondack/Quilted Cuban Santa Maria Mahogany
2003 Eichelbaum Slope Dreadnought
2001 Lowden O35 Sitka/Koa
BlueRidge BR163
pendulum preamp hz-10se
Trace Elliot TA100R Mahogany Box
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 02-10-2016, 06:12 PM

Reunion Blues Continental .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
goodall