The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2021, 04:26 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your insightful replies, really appreciate everything you've said!

You're right: It is unfortunate the industry's not more sustainable, but something I've come to terms with. I tend to buy second-hand usually, and once I'm more versed in acoustic guitars that'll become a valid option. Taylor's marketing still sold me on the 324ce BE anyway, so whatever they're doing works. Only it's not available for another two months at least.

Guild is barely available (none with cutaway, that much is certain), Breedlove not at all. Covid incidence is rising, so it doesn't look like travelling to the neighbouring countries will be an option any time soon. So I'm stuck with what I have available here.

For now, I've called the shop and reserved the 414. I assume resale value will be somewhat stable, and when (hopefully not "if") the 324 arrives I'll have a solid baseline of what makes a good guitar. And I'll know just how vain I am, and how much the looks really bother me if push comes to shove.

I still love the mahogany sound of the 000-15M, and I think I'll give it another shot next week. Or maybe even the D-15M, to underline the contrast between the two guitars. They said they'll have to do a setup on them anyway, so I assume playability will be decent. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Streetmaster is the chance of a 324ce, and that it will sound too similar. Or that I'll still spend my holiday money on it, even with the Streetmaster. The first worldest of first world problems.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:13 AM

Here's a very unxpected update: Through sheer chance, I stumbled upon a 324ce BE that'd been sitting in a piano store's forgotten storage locker for two years. Turns out they carry Taylor guitars, but barely. Couldn't resist the price they made -- assuming it was low-demand and happy to finally get rid of it -- I bought it right away.

I'll still take it to the store that I played the 414 and Streetmaster in, and will see how it holds up to those two. I spend so much time (mine and yours) on thinking about this, I actually had my mind set on the two-guitar solution and am slow to budge. I feel trading it for a 414 and SM is still a valid option.

I have learned a lot in the process, about guitars and unexpectedly myself. Thank you for staying with me, and until then.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:43 PM

Default Follow-up

Hey @garra, I'm in a similar situation myself and have been trying to determine whether to buy a 324CE builder's edition or if I should go with a more traditional Taylor (spruce and mahogany). In my mind, the money is spent either way, but just wondering how you're feeling about the guitar a month in? The wife won't let me purchase until June, so I have a little time to make my decision.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:45 PM

@garra: Here's my opinion.

Any of the guitars you mentioned will serve your needs. Beyond that it is nuance. Pick one that looks good and sounds decent to you. Then use it for a while. It will work fine as long as it is set up right (playable). Eventually you may discover you'd like something different, like more bass (or less bass), or a different nut width. Cross that bridge when it comes. You don't really get to know an instrument until you spend some time with it in a variety of situations.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a GT Urban Ash. While they are wonderful for some purposes (I would enjoy having one), they are closer to travel guitars than multi-purpose guitars. To me they only make sense as a second guitar not a primary guitar. Also best to ignore the label "Builder's Edition." Should not be a factor in your decision.
Martin OM-28V
Old 04-17-2021, 05:35 PM

Id avoid buying something you havent seen and not played - Id go for the Taylor as well - BUT
- if you get the chance ,Id play everything you can get your hands on ,
that you feel is quality . When I looked outside the box , I found a small builders 12 fret EIR Dread that had its own sound that i loved ( at a fair price ) -
i look at guitar buying as a journey and an adventure -- not a job - the fun is in the looking and discovering the unusual -or the usual thats sensational !

.................................................. ...........

Last edited by Tony Burns; 04-17-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

I have a Taylor 717 and frankly prefer my Gibson SJ200 or J35.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:46 AM

I am inclined toward Taylor guitars because I made my own neck reset !

That said, I have more than a dozen of good guitars : Taylors 322 and 412ce,
Martin OOO-18 (2014), Larrivee OM-09 and Gibson L-OO TV to name some.

I also have some basic guitars : Eastman AC122ce, Alvarez AP66ESB parlor
and Seagull Performer CW QIT.

I LOVE THEM ALL and play them all BECAUSE they sound different.

So, I would take the two I tried and like, Martin AND Taylor, instead of
waiting for one that may not be quite so what I want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
folk, martin, newbie, taylor, western