The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 04:06 AM

Default Looking for advice: care/upkeep on a '64 Gibson

New to the forum, looking for some advice/tips on a guitar that may interest a handful of you.

A friend of mine was gifted a 1964 Gibson LG0 by her dad, and though she plays quite a bit, has left it with me for a month or so to do some cleaning and very minor maintenance things. The guitar's in pretty decent shape in general, except for a bridge separation issue and a hairline crack at the heel-neither of which I will be going anywhere near. Both have been present for over a decade with almost daily play, not a massive object of concern. The frets are showing some rust spots/corrosion, and the body has some minor cracking, but it's mostly in the finish. This guitar has not had a full clean/polish in about a year/year and a half, and is definitely due for some minor upkeep.

My intention is simply to clean this guy up and return it in better condition than it was loaned to me. Those of you with experience with vintage/semi-vintage guitars, do you recommend any fretboard conditioner/lemon oil? Any polish recommendations? If you think of any little, often overlooked maintenance things as well, it would be much appreciated. Humidity is already covered, and the guitar has lighter gauge silk and steel strings on.

Let me know what you guys think!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson acoustic guitar, guitar care, vintage acoustic