The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 05:25 PM

Default Vintage Fender Acoustic's made in USA

So I while back I posted about looking for a Fender Malibu with the bolt neck. it was titled "1960s Fender Acoustics bad rep or bad rap?"
Pretty much most people panned the idea. I was told they were bad guitars that sounded awful. That was in 2011, Since then have moved to Nashville. I had been using a Limited Edition Ovation with a pearl airbrushed American Flag on it. Plus Martin D-28. I could only take till bough place here feb 2016. I played 207 scheduled writers rounds here so far. Once I rolled out the Fender Malibu a couple weeks ago all getting compliments on the great warm sound it has. From guys who play vintage Martin & Gibsons. It has a Dean Markley Trilogy pick up system in it. It is hands down the most playable acoustic guitar I ever had had in my hands. Everybody want to try it. Doyle Dykes played after I first got it, when repair being on on it at New Hartford Fender/Guild/Ovation factory. He big grin as he ran all over the neck. I had with me at a Guild factory event he saw was starring at it. He said "I think played that guitar". Yup ya did. Everyone was shocked how little I paid for it. They older guys started telling everyone who used to play these back in the day. I could not be happier with it. I going to look for Wildwood or Kingman . So if anyone sees one let me know.
Don't sell these short.

Her I am playing it at Bobby's Idle Hour, the only bar actually on music row.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Well... I'm glad you like it! You will undoubtedly have your choice of whatever ones are still around, as the general consensus is that they were and are pieces of junk...

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on this, but, truthfully, I have NEVER played a Fender acoustic that was worth much more than firewood... and I was raised in Fullerton through the 50's and 60's, and played a bunch of the first ones they made!

Again, glad you are happy with it! "Different strokes..." and all that...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-22-2016, 08:32 PM

Well, if your hearing is as good as your sentence structure, I'm sure it sounds awesome.

...........Mike
Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Well, if your hearing is as good as your sentence structure, I'm sure it sounds awesome.

...........Mike
LOL!

I have a 1965 Fender Villager 12 string that plays easily and sounds pretty good too. There are a few good Fender acoustics out there.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 PM

FYI not all of them are duds - back in the early-70's I had a student with a Fender Newporter that sounded fabulous - and I always loved the necks; been looking for a good one myself for years...
Old 07-22-2016, 10:17 PM

A good friend of mine, now deceased, had a Malibu that his dad had left him. He was very proud of that old guitar and loved it to death. It was a monstrously horrible guitar, apparently never cleaned or otherwise maintained, wouldn't tune up worth a durn, but since he loved it, I loved it. The one in the picture looks to be in pretty good shape though. I'd like to play one like that just to see what one was really like. I played a Kingman once that had a pretty nice sound and felt good. I'm sure there are a few decent Fender acoustics out there somewhere.

Pay no attention to the uncouth Grammar Policeman. Probably had a bad childhood and just didn't learn any better.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I just found my old Fender 1968 catalogue! The Malibu retailed for $169.50, the Villager 12 string was $199.50! And an all Mahogany Newporter for $139.50!

Interesting to re-live the 60s offerings through the catalogues. I also found my Gibson 1966 catalogue (though they didn't list prices in it). Cool stuff...
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 07-23-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
A good friend of mine, now deceased, had a Malibu that his dad had left him. He was very proud of that old guitar and loved it to death. It was a monstrously horrible guitar, apparently never cleaned or otherwise maintained, wouldn't tune up worth a durn, but since he loved it, I loved it. The one in the picture looks to be in pretty good shape though. I'd like to play one like that just to see what one was really like. I played a Kingman once that had a pretty nice sound and felt good. I'm sure there are a few decent Fender acoustics out there somewhere.

Pay no attention to the uncouth Grammar Policeman. Probably had a bad childhood and just didn't learn any better.
That sounding funky and not staying staying in tune could that that the neck block was a bit twisted. Its was simple fix I had to get that when I got this one. .... I am have problem that part of being dyslexic. It reads correct until a long time has passed. I am used to it.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:02 AM

I find it interesting that Ferlin Husky had his Kingman when be passed.
Johnny Cash still had his black Malibu when he passed. Sold for 64K
His Kingman on display in the Ryman.
Bill Anderson still owns his Fender King... its on loan to The Opry on display at the Ryman. He said like borrow it back play it on Opry again.
Buck Owens still owed his Kingman when he passed, it's on loan to Country Music Hall of Fame.
Other people who played these where Charlie Pride, George Jones, Bob Dylan, Ray Davies, Merle Haggard (his band 12 string), Elvis, Wanda Jackson, Robbie Roberson, Jimmy C Newman, Tex Ritter, Marty Robbins. Hank Jr....

In terms of sound Cash on the Opry .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPMHIUZ3WSU
Back then he used heavy gauge strings...

In any case.... I doubt any of these people choose to play a bad sounding guitar.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
FYI not all of them are duds - back in the early-70's I had a student with a Fender Newporter that sounded fabulous - and I always loved the necks; been looking for a good one myself for years...
here ya go http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Newpo...3D161106817715
Old 07-23-2016, 03:46 AM

Might never have been a Fender fan, but when I found an old nylon some years back I snatched it up for a pittance online at Goodwill. It looked like my first guitar and for the price I thought it could be made into something. When it arrived I was schocked to find original hardcase. We tuned and played and it was oh so sweet, but I took her in for a going over. New tuners and strings, he cleaned her up and declared a winner.

Over ten years later I sent it home with 15yo grandson, then my son took it to work and was promptly offered a lucrative chunk of cash. It was a very good gamble for a great guitar, surprised and pleased me.

The biggest trouble here is that now all nylon string guitars need to sound that sweet!
Old 07-23-2016, 06:57 AM

About twenty years ago, I played a nice old Fender acoustic that I thought sounded pretty good in a Pawn Shop in Kansas City, KS.
At the time we were still pretty poor, so it stayed in the shop.
I've recently bought a horrid old Stratacoustic that I'm beginning to get a little sweet on.
It's an "anvil" of a guitar in that it survived in the back of my SUV from KC to Florida and Back.
Still sounds like crap unplugged though.
But it's a decently put together thing.
And yet another guitar that I bought with plans to sell.
Now I find myself with plans to make it better....

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 07-23-2016, 07:22 AM

My 1968 Villager 12-string plays and sounds great. I haven't played any newer Fender acoustics but the older ones can hold their own.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcleo View Post
I find it interesting that Ferlin Husky had his Kingman when be passed.
Johnny Cash still had his black Malibu when he passed. Sold for 64K
His Kingman on display in the Ryman.
Bill Anderson still owns his Fender King... its on loan to The Opry on display at the Ryman. He said like borrow it back play it on Opry again.
Buck Owens still owed his Kingman when he passed, it's on loan to Country Music Hall of Fame.
Other people who played these where Charlie Pride, George Jones, Bob Dylan, Ray Davies, Merle Haggard (his band 12 string), Elvis, Wanda Jackson, Robbie Roberson, Jimmy C Newman, Tex Ritter, Marty Robbins. Hank Jr....

In terms of sound Cash on the Opry .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPMHIUZ3WSU
Back then he used heavy gauge strings...

In any case.... I doubt any of these people choose to play a bad sounding guitar.
I think many of the artists you mention used their guitars, whatever the brand, as more of a stage prop than anything else. The Fender acoustics with the Stratocaster headstock were considered modern looking back then and were used for the coolness factor more than their attributes as a musical instrument. In any case, even if you could actually hear the guitar during a performance, it was generally just strumming first position chords.

I've played a few of those old Fender acoustics over the years, and while I've always liked the look, I never ran across one I wanted to own.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
I think many of the artists you mention used their guitars, whatever the brand, as more of a stage prop than anything else.
Even if this was close to accurate, anyone who was looking for a "stage prop" would have grabbed a Martin, Gibson, Guild.... I've played both coasts, in the middle and many countries over the past (almost) 40 years and I've NEVER met, or played with, anyone hanging a guitar around their neck for "stage prop". There are plenty of excellent Fender acoustics. I gave my daughter an old guitar of mine (a Fender) as her first full-sized guitar and I'm sure she'll never get rid of it and certainly not because I gave it to her. It's excellent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
1960s, fender acoustic, fender malibu, vintage acoustic