The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-13-2021, 05:52 AM

Default Chord AI app

About a week ago I accidentally found the Chord AI app. https://chordai.net/ I thought what the heck... Let's give it at try. Uh, wow! I am pretty impressed. I can't even imagine having an app like this back in the 80's. (Kids these days... I tell ya, they've no idea how good they have it) I was so impressed after messing with the free version a few days I dropped the $10 for the full version. Still loving it. For you singers out there, being able to shift the song and chords by adjusting the pitch seems awesome. I'm not really a singer but it seems cool to me. It tells you the key and chords. It even has YouTube integrated into it. (Although that does limit the pitch feature... YouTube guidelines or something of that nature prohibits it ). So it seems I can learn the chords and play along with pretty much any song I want. I can even slow it down on playback. It shows the next chord coming on playback. I can transpose, slap on a capo and just play along. It just seems awesome. This is WAY better than the old 80's PLAY, RECORD, PAUSE combo on a Memorex tape and then diving across the room to release the pause button when the radio station finally played the song I wanted to learn and then the back and forth with said tape to try to learn the song.
I also have to think that an app like Chord AI would also help "develop your ear". It's telling you the chord as you hear it and shows the chord for you to play. That just can't be bad. The fact that I can do this so easily from my phone anywhere is just wonderful. I've even used it in my car to see the chords in a Gillian Welch song after thinking "I should learn this song". I would highly recommend trying out this app. I'll be honest, my mind is a little blown by this technology. It's true that I'm pretty much out of touch with this new fangled tech but I found Chord AI to be pretty great. Now I just need an app to pick out those solos for me. Does one already exist?
Old 05-13-2021, 06:14 AM

Very interesting app. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:13 AM

Thanks. I downloaded the free version and used it to analyze a basic 4-chord song off Youtube. It was fine ... but it took a fairly long time to analyze. Is that how it works or is it a problem on my end? When I use Chordify or the free version of Riffstation it takes only a few seconds.

I was just wondering. I imagine the problem is on my end because those other programs I access through my desktop. I rarely use my phone to do anything beside making phone calls and reading texts.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-14-2021, 09:14 AM

That seems like it is probably on your end. I just pulled up a song on YouTube and counted it off in my head. It probably took about 4 seconds to start and start showing the chords. When using my phone's mic it's pretty much instantly. I am using Android. Not sure how the apple app may be.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkensho View Post
That seems like it is probably on your end. I just pulled up a song on YouTube and counted it off in my head. It probably took about 4 seconds to start and start showing the chords. When using my phone's mic it's pretty much instantly. I am using Android. Not sure how the apple app may be.
I'm using Android on an old, old phone. For one thing I can't get the Bluetooth to work on it. I haven't tried using my phone's mic. As I said, the app worked fine ... but took 4ever.

I do wish there was a desktop version of it, however.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-14-2021, 09:48 AM

I tried it again but I stuck to getting a song off Youtube because the program advised it would probably be more accurate that way. The song started loading and then some chords formed ... but they were incomplete. The chord analysis took the long time. In fact it took longer than the 4-minute or so song. But when it was completed I played it back and found it was accurate.

But again that's probably the fault of my phone so I like the app quite a lot.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-14-2021, 09:54 AM

I tried it on two songs that were on my computer. I played the songs, on my computer through the built-in speakers running the app on my phone using its internal microphone. It produced chords as the music was playing almost in real time, including indicating the current key at key changes.

It was a little confused differentiating between a major key and its relative minor. I tried it a few times on the same song and depending upon the trial showed the major key or its relative minor, when the song was in the minor key.

Otherwise, for the two cases I tried, it was quick and probably sufficiently accurate. I didn't feed it anything to obscure or with a lot of altered chords.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:50 PM

I just used the app and played through "I am California" by John Craigie. The app seemed right there as best I could tell. I did have it set to precise and not basic. There are some different chords in precise but generally they're close enough either way. I feel like for me this could really acceleration learning certain new songs. I can't see how it would hurt when trying to figure out new music.
I'm curious as to what others might think about it's accuracy.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:52 AM

Default Ears

My question is simple “will this help a person with ear training?” I’ve played guitar for 40ish years and my ears are still not where they should be! Why? Because I cheated in my young days and used sheet music or tabs ...etc. The best “app” is to workout songs by ear! This way you won’t need “this” app! IMHO ☺️
Old 05-15-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
My question is simple “will this help a person with ear training?” I’ve played guitar for 40ish years and my ears are still not where they should be! Why? Because I cheated in my young days and used sheet music or tabs ...etc. The best “app” is to workout songs by ear! This way you won’t need “this” app! IMHO [emoji3526]
The "app" I used back in the day was a tape recorder from Radio Shack and a blank tape. The problem with learning this way is ... When you are wrong. I "learned" most music this way. I couldn't tell you how many parts I had learned wrong because my ear and understanding wasn't there.
As I said in the OP "I also have to think that an app like Chord AI would also help "develop your ear". It's telling you the chord as you hear it and shows the chord for you to play. That just can't be bad."
So "will it help"? Dunno. Could it? I think it could. But there are specific apps for ear training if you want them, they exist. I have a couple ear training app btw. Heres some apps I use... Decide for yourself. But you have to try to see what works for you. [emoji4]
Old 05-15-2021, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
My question is simple “will this help a person with ear training?” I’ve played guitar for 40ish years and my ears are still not where they should be! Why? Because I cheated in my young days and used sheet music or tabs ...etc. The best “app” is to workout songs by ear! This way you won’t need “this” app! IMHO ☺️
Hi TJE
I'm sure in favor of people using resources.

When I finally developed a good understanding of revoicing the same chord in the same inversion elsewhere on the neck (and even different inversions), I gained better understanding of the neck.

Of course this was guided by my ear…UNTIL YouTube came along.

YouTube and teaching-DVDs did more to advance my understanding of how to voice chords than 'just-my-ear' ever did.

Monkey-see-monkey-do is a great way to learn…so much quicker than attempting to sound things out for most of us.

I downloaded the free version of AI, and it's ok for basic things.

One of the things I taught students was to freeze videos and capture fingerings, and then figure out which strings are played, muted, or skipped.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-15-2021 at 05:09 PM. Reason: rejoicing = revoicing (stupid auto-correct)
Old 05-15-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi TJE
I'm sure in favor of people using resources.

When I finally developed a good understanding of rejoicing the same chord in the same inversion elsewhere on the neck (and even different inversions), I gained better understanding of the neck.

As a fellow typo/auto-correct sufferer, I want to say that this is an inspired example. I'm trying to orchestrate a part this weekend, and when I get it right I will have rejoiced many of the chords!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-15-2021, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
As a fellow typo/auto-correct sufferer, I want to say that this is an inspired example. I'm trying to orchestrate a part this weekend, and when I get it right I will have rejoiced many of the chords!
Hi Frank (good catch!)
I've had some which were not so kind or even guess-able…

Stupid auto-correct…I should see if I can get it to 'beep' when it does things!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-15-2021, 06:28 PM

When I first downloaded it I thought to myself that the free version was as good a the ultimate guitar tabs. I wondered what would make it worth $10? Curiosity got the best of me. And I will say that the "precise" is in fact a little more precise than the "basic". I suppose that's where they got the idea for the names "basic" and "precise". So I'd say it's about what you want out of it whether it's worth $10 or not. I do think it will add some fun and learning to my practice from time to time. And at this point it's entertained me $10 worth. [emoji846]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write