The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-02-2021, 05:56 AM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.
Default I'm getting a new smart phone - suggestions for good video recording guitar/vocals

I recorded me here with a ukulele, on a cheapie phone

https://youtu.be/77sU8QObLMc

I just want to make a few youtube videos but with fuller sound.

Thanks!

Al
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)
Old 05-02-2021, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

There are many mics made to plug into the iphone (and other phones) that will put a mic close up to you while keeping the phone at the right distance for good video. You’ll get a better sound with a better phone , but the key is to get a good mic close to you so you don’t get so much “room sound” mixed in
Old 05-02-2021, 06:14 AM

I bought a lav mic from Amazon that has the iPhone plug on it. It made a huge difference in sound, and was less than $20. My only complaint with it was the attached cable is only about 6 feet long. Next time I’ll get a longer one.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:21 AM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepsdad View Post
I bought a lav mic from Amazon that has the iPhone plug on it. It made a huge difference in sound, and was less than $20. My only complaint with it was the attached cable is only about 6 feet long. Next time I’ll get a longer one.
Is an IPhone better than Android?
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)
Old 05-02-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelville View Post
There are dramatically more aftermarket products for iPhone than Android. Also, given the relatively fewer iPhone models, the aftermarket stuff is actually likely to have been tested to work on your phone.

The latest is the Baggs Voiceprint. iPhone only.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-02-2021, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
These days any high-end Android will be as good as an iPhone if not better. All your high-end phones have off-the-charts ridiculous photo and video capabilities and will take great photos and videos. So after that it depends on what you like in an OS platform. This is what I tell people asking whether to go Apple or Android:

iPhone - go this route if you are already entrenched in the Apple-verse (you have Macs, Apple TV, etc.) or prefer to have everything done for you with very little ability to tweak things.

Android - go this route if you like to customize your smartphone experience with widgets and other cool gadgets.

I've owned both, both are great. Both make pretty good videos but an external mic does help both if you're looking for a better audio recording. Literally all of my review videos and many of my acoustic duo song recordings were done on my Android phone.

I prefer the Samsung Note series. I love the pen. They also last a long time. I'm still rocking the Note 8 which is working great. But you can't go wrong with either.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:11 AM

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 05-02-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I’ve never owned anything but an iPhone, but I would assume you’ll probably have the same learning curve with either format. As mentioned above, either one will give you great photo and video capabilities.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…I just want to make a few youtube videos but with fuller sound.
Hi abelville
Are you dedicated to the idea of recording it all on the phone?

If not, a small handheld recorder (like the Zoom H1n) will provide better sound than the phone, and the video and audio can be joined in post production.

Also, if you move the phone closer to you (you had a lot of wasted space at the top of the frame), then the sound will be better.

Or you can rotate the phone to landscape mode (wide format) and move in as well to get closer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-02-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

The new Galaxy Note 20 and I assume the New Galaxy S21 have the ability to FINALLY accept standard USB external microphones. You have to buy an adaptor to go from USB-A to USB-C, but those are readily available. It's simple to plug in and simply hit record. It works with videos as well. Fir making great quality videos, it works really well. The cameras on most newer phones are very good.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Something like the Shure MV88+ and a lightning cable extension will allow you to have the mic closer to you than the phone; even an inexpensive lav mic will be better than the phone mic(s), but the MV88+ comes with a good app that allows you to EQ the audio. Any of the current phones (I use an iPhone 11 Pro) do a good job on the video, but I'd suggest you not sit right in front of a window - that throws off the metering on your camera. Better usage would be to position yourself so the light from the window is to your side and in front of you.

I've done "live" playing/singing as well as multi-track music and different angles with the video, edited together afterwards. The latter takes a bit more time, but results in a less static video. Lots of options.

Enjoy the process.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I recorded me here with a ukulele, on a cheapie phone

https://youtu.be/77sU8QObLMc

I just want to make a few youtube videos but with fuller sound.

Thanks!

Al
There are a few recent topics that deal with "simple" video recording. Read through this topic for some advice

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=610685

You CAN extend your mic from your camera, but often the resulting audio will not be as good as recording it separately because most phones have built in automatic level control and compression / noise reduction that will effect the recorded sound.

If you decide on an Android phone then be aware that the video recording can be rather basic with little control over parameters. I noticed my video recording program would not lock focus or exposure, so the video would brighten and dim when I didn't want it to.

I downloaded and installed "Open Camera", a very nice free video recorder for Android that lets you have a lot of control over your video recording.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:27 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Are you dedicated to the idea of recording it all on the phone?
If not, a small handheld recorder will provide better sound than the phone, and the video and audio can be joined in post production.
I second the idea of using the new phone to capture the video, but recording the audio separately. Either with the aforementioned handheld recorder or similar, or if you have a current home recording setup like an interface, microphone(s) into your laptop or something. The process has a little learning curve but it's not that bad. And the results would likely be much better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD