The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-25-2021, 05:24 PM

Default Handheld portable recorder

I’ve been playing about three years and would like to record my playing and singing for improvements sake.
I bought a Steinberg interface with Cubebasis software built in but ended up never figuring out how to use it. It feels as if I needed to be a sound engineer to figure it out. I don’t use it. I do play to some backtracks with it but want something very easy to use.
Any recommendations appreciated.
I’d like something that sounds decent as well. Can these portables be linked to my interface and listened to through my monitors?
TIA, John
Old 04-25-2021, 06:18 PM

I’ve had a Tascam DR05, and currently have a DR40. I also used to regularly use a Zoom H2. I’ve liked them all and have found them to be simple to use as a basic recorder, and capable of far better results than I am. I think I just scratched the surface of what they’ll do. That said, when I did want to do some editing try some effects I would generally import the files to Audacity instead of trying to work with the small recorder screen.

Last edited by wkbryan; 04-25-2021 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-25-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbryan View Post
I’ve had a Tascam DR05, and currently have a DR40. I also used to regularly use a Zoom H2. I’ve liked them all and have found them to be simple to use as a basic recorder, and capable of far better results than I am. I think I just scratched the surface of what they’ll do. That said, when I did want to do some editing try some effects I would generally import the files to Audacity instead of trying to work with the small recorder screen.
Thanks for the response.
Do you prefer Tascam to Zoom and if so why.
What was the motivation to go from the DR05 to the DR40?
Old 04-25-2021, 09:24 PM

I don’t know that I really have a preference between Zoom & Tascam. I’m a little more familiar with Tascam, but I like the internal mic options of the H2.

When our daughter went to college the DR05 went with her so we didn’t have a recorder for a little while. I was about to order another DR05 and stumbled on a great deal on the DR40. It’s not the latest generation so they were clearing out old stock. I really like the 1/4”/XLR input options, but for our use I probably wouldn’t have paid the price difference if I hadn’t happened upon the great deal.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
Do you prefer Tascam to Zoom and if so why.
Hi jschmitz

Just my opinions. I've been doing digital recording since mini-micro cassette days, and when the digital changes started happening, Sony was a leader.

I've owned several, but Zoom set itself apart in several ways.

Innovation
Updates (of software)
Upgrades in features

If you are only going to do a handful of recordings using the built in mics, either would do a good job. Both Tascam and Zoom recorders have a tripod insert on the bottom so you can mount them atop a tripod for stability and angling them properly.

If you are going to begin using XLR cables, using the phantom power (with AA batteries) and plugging in better mics, Zoom has units from the H4n all the way up to the F-8 field recorders which excel in this.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-26-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I’ve been playing about three years and would like to record my playing and singing for improvements sake.
I bought a Steinberg interface with Cubebasis software built in but ended up never figuring out how to use it. It feels as if I needed to be a sound engineer to figure it out. I don’t use it. I do play to some backtracks with it but want something very easy to use.
I’d like something that sounds decent as well. Can these portables be linked to my interface and listened to through my monitors?
TIA, John
Your reaction to full featured recording software is not uncommon, so don't take this as an argument against your experience, but to a large degree I think that can be because it's too easy to be snowed under by all the things such software can do. I've never used Cubasis myself, but with a simple template setup for your needs (templates let you open a new session all ready to press record) and a likely to exist for-beginner's tutorial from someone who knows the software given in person on on YouTube, there's not a lot that actually needs to be mastered to do simple recording.

I think GarageBand on Apple iPhone or iPad tries more to aim for that "I don't want to learn everything to just record something" audience more than some other software. Audacity (free software for Windows computers and other computers too) is fairly simple software to just record acoustic instruments. Both can import a backing track to play along to and allow overdubbing to make your own "one man band" recordings.

That aside, venturing an answer to your question. Many handheld and portable digital recorders allow themselves to be used as interfaces themselves (and for those with built in mics, the internal mics can be used as well). Typically you connect the portable recorder via USB and select it as the sound source device, while retaining whatever your monitor speakers are connected to as the playback device.

Some people here like the Izotope Spire for your use case. I think it can make good recordings, and the "we'll suggest and automatically employ" some effects to make your recordings sound more like "real records" may be useful to someone not otherwise interested in learning about recording vs. enjoying completing and sharing recordings. The Spire software alone is free for use on modern smartphones and would work with the built in mics on them, so one could try it out for free. I have my own opinions about the Spire software, but they aren't everyone's.

I've used an older Zoom handheld digital recorder for years. Works great for simple capture of demos or song ideas, and the recordings don't sound bad using the included mics -- good playing in a good room with the recorder and its mics located well will sound surprisingly good in fact, and even in the absence of the later two things, it'll let you audition your playing for personal improvement purposes. That said, I'll have to say I increasingly use my smartphone for the things I used the Zoom for, and the Zoom I have isn't a device for overdubbing over backing tracks or one man band recordings.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-26-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
TIA, John
There are many prior discussions about "best" handheld recorders. Here's one where I compare and contrast the Zoom H1 to the DR-05, having owned both.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=539892

You would be best served by feeding your monitors directly from the output of whichever portable recorder you own. It's unnecessary to run it trough your interface because the portable already does the A/D conversion. If you want to use the recorded files directly then transfer them to your computer and load them to your DAW.

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-26-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:51 PM

I have both a Zoom H6 and a MixerFace R4. The preamps are way cleaner on the MixerFace, but whether or not that is important depends upon the output levels of the mics you are using and the distance you want to mic from. I like using dynamic mics for room rejection from several feet away, and the clean preamps of the MixerFace work really well for that.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I have a Zoom H1n that I use to record solo acoustic guitar and find it very easy to use. After recording, you can transfer the file to your computer and tweak (add reverb/compression)it in your DAW (I use Reaper). No fancy multi tracking, etc. but suits my needs perfectly and the signal quality rivals my higher quality large diaphragm condenser mic. Oh, and the price is extremely friendly. Lots of YT videos to teach you to use it - it took me about 5 minutes.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

I have a Tascam DR--44WL which cost me about $300 maybe 7 years ago.

It has some built-in small X-Y mics, but unless they are close (about 8") to a sound source, such as a guitar, the recorder does not do a very good job at capturing an accurate guitar performance if a person is looking for quality sound.

However, like many of the higher priced small digital recorders, this unit has phantom power and two XLR connectors and so very good mics can be attached to it. I have done several excellent quality CDs recording piano, and these recordings sound really good. Pro quality from my viewpoint. I typically used a pair of Audio Technica AT4050 LDC microphones mounted about 8" away from the side of an open top Steinway grand piano.

Some of the latest Zoom recorders, I think the H6 has slightly larger condenser mics on the unit and based on some YouTube recording comparisons I have heard, sounds considerably better than the equivalent price Tascam unit. So the H6 might do a higher quality job of recording a guitar compared to my Tascam DR-44WL.

For me, though, the key for these little recorders is to use external mics. That is the limitation that I see in how these perform.

I shouldn't be speaking for Doug Young since he is quite active in this section, but I have been listening to his guitar recordings on the AGF for years and my understanding is that these often have been recorded using good quality external microphones connected to one of these small digital recorders. Doug's guitar recordings always sound wonderful.

So the bottom line based on my experience and on what I have heard is that you can get very high quality recordings from these small digital recorders if you buy one with XLR connectors and phantom power and then connect good quality external microphones to the unit.

- Glenn
Old 04-28-2021, 05:11 AM

Quote:
I...want something very easy to use.
I’d like something that sounds decent as well. Can these portables be linked to my interface?
TIA, John
John. If “easy, decent” is really all you need, then you might consider a Zoom H2n. The built-in mid-side and 4 channel recording features and controls can yield surprisingly good acoustic guitar recordings with nothing else added to the pocket sized recorder. I suspect it can also be connected (in some way) to your interface as well.

Last edited by Daniel Grenier; 04-28-2021 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Most of the new digital recorders from Zoom and Tascam can be used through the USB connection as interfaces.

- Glenn
Old 04-28-2021, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’ve been playing about three years and would like to record my playing and singing for improvements sake…

…want something very easy to use.

…I’d like something that sounds decent as well. Can these portables be linked to my interface and listened to through my monitors?
Hi jschmitz…
Any of the Zoom or Tascam handhelds will do what you need. Simplicity is wonderful, so I'd suggest you keep it simple and just buy a basic unit.

In fact, the uber-simple Zoom H1n will do what you postulated. And all the simple handhelds discussed here will interface with headphones and/or monitors for listening/evaluating.

If you need to put it in the computer, just insert the SD card from the handheld into the computer, and transferring or listening to files on the computer is quick and easy (faster, simpler, and easier than hooking up a USB cable and digging through menus).

Hope this adds to the thread…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-28-2021, 11:32 AM

As others have said, get a Zoom.

And yes, it can be hooked up to your interface and the tracks can be imported into Cubase or any other audio editing, sequencing app.. But you're still going to need to spend some time learning to use Cubase to do that.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

John,
I share your experience with DAWS, and ended up with a DR05 and then a DR40, like WKBryan. They have similar controls and menus, the chief difference was the ability to use some nicer external mics with the 40s xlr inputs. That may or may not factor in your set up? Just another option if you think youll end up doing some basic mixing would be one of the portable multi-trac recorders. I got a tascam dp-008 in a trade that has been a lot of fun. Its portable, batt or ac power, built in (decent) mics or accepts external, and allowed some multi-tracking without needing the computer.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD