The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-03-2021, 12:07 PM

Smile New Wilborn Arum Build: Tunnel 14 Redwood with Ziricote [Unveiling Video Added]

First, Happy New Year, y'all!

I got the message. As scheduled when I commissioned it, Ben is about to start on my Arum, which will feature a Tunnel 14 redwood top with a ziricote body.

What is an Arum? It's Ben's 00'ish-sized (14" at lower bout) guitar from his new "Comma Series" line, which seeks to set a new standard in high-performance guitars with a number of non-traditional features: triple-laminated sides, radially braced top, 3D sound port (upper-bout located sound hole/side port), and multi-scale, raised fingerboard. I believe the very first model was inspired by our own TomB'sox. You can read more about this new line here:

https://www.wilbornguitars.com/comma-series-intro/

And you can read a number of other Arum and Nautilus (larger 15" body) build threads by other members here on AGF.

"Excited" would be an understatement. I'm a sucker for highly figured wood and previously had two custom ukuleles (a Steve Grimes tenor and a Kevin Mason baritone) from ziricote that I absolutely loved for tone and beauty, so I'm excited to have a guitar being made from one of my favorite woods and one of my favorite luthiers. Ben built a cedar/birdseye maple "Lion" for me and I thoroughly enjoyed the build process and working with Ben. I reluctantly re-homed that beauty to make room for this build.

I considered cocobolo as well and Ben has some amazing sets. While I know there are many factors that determine a guitar's tone, with builder and top wood being strong determinants, I have noted in a number of cocobolo instruments from many different highly regarded builders, a beautiful clarity in each string's notes but, for me, something missing in how they blend or meld together. As if the notes are too distinct, if that makes any sense. But Ben was confident I would be happy with what he built for me from cocobolo and I know he honors his satisfaction guarantee, so I was almost ready to take the plunge.

Before I took the plunge, I asked for one final look at some ziricote sets and if nothing grabbed me, I'd proceed. "Okay, before I commit, I want to see your best ziricote. Your secret stash stuff." As soon as I saw this set, the clouds parted and the angels sang. I "knew" my decision was made and made resolutely. Cocobolo will have to wait.

Those of you familiar with Ben's work know that despite his incredible precision, he is a very speedy builder and he sticks to his schedule commitments. This guitar should be finished in February. I'll update with more photos as I get them.

Assuming I love this one like I believe I will, I'll probably trim down to three guitars. The Doerr, the Arum and the other one TBD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3581 (2).jpg (46.0 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3614 (1).jpg (47.2 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg Ziricote Z12 IMG_4396 (1).jpg (58.8 KB, 518 views)

Last edited by Ukulele_Eddie; 03-22-2021 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added to title that video is available
Old 01-03-2021, 01:14 PM

These woods are gorgeous! I'm very excited for you- the Arum model with these woods is going to be special. Thanks for letting us follow along!!

beth
Old 01-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Smile What Beth said!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
These woods are gorgeous! I'm very excited for you- the Arum model with these woods is going to be special. Thanks for letting us follow along!!

beth
No kidding! This will be a stunner

Happy New Year to all

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-04-2021, 05:47 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Like you I am always intrigued by the looks of Ziricote. Beautiful woods you've picked for this one. Ben is one of the best. I'm sure you will be well pleased with the result. Congrats!
Old 01-04-2021, 06:27 AM

An arum is my dream guitar! So excited for you...beautiful woods!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 01-04-2021, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Arum build, Eddie!

As you know, I have a Tunnel 14/Cocobolo Arum that is fantastic, so I know you wouldn't have been disappointed. But these woods look fabulous--it too will be amazing! And working with Ben is always a joy.

Enjoy the ride! Thanks for sharing it with us...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Thanks, All!

Kevin, your Arum is absolutely spectacular. Probably my favorite set of Cocobolo I have ever seen. And the tone is incredible. For those who haven't seen Kevin's (@Nemoman) build thread, do check it out as it was the very first Arum so Ben did a lot of photos. It's a fantastic build thread that generated a number of orders. And a link to Ben's intro to it is here:

https://youtu.be/6xchcqMaP4w

Last edited by Ukulele_Eddie; 01-04-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:31 PM

Those seem like such great guitars. I'd love to be able to play one some day. In the vid, it sounds amazing!
Old 01-05-2021, 06:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

"As soon as I saw this set, the clouds parted and the angels sang. "- Eddie, January, 2021

That is awesome! I've always loved the way some Ziricote looks as if dark velvet drapes are being pulled back to reveal the blinding light behind. It's Epiphany Wood, or maybe Vaudeville Wood, depending on how pious you want to get about it. At any rate, I have built quite a few Z guitars, and I find it to be a lovely mixture of the sounds of rosewood, leavened with just a touch of, say, mahogany. And if you are a sucker for a dark, landscape figure guitar, it just cannot be beat.

This is going to be a lot of fun to build. Thank you, Eddie, for the opportunity to build this little sportster!
Old 01-05-2021, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

This will be fantastic to watch come together. I would love to hear what a 16” model like this would sound like. Anyway, love the woods. The color palette is beautiful!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-05-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
This will be fantastic to watch come together. I would love to hear what a 16” model like this would sound like. Anyway, love the woods. The color palette is beautiful!
Mike, if 15 7/8 is close enough to 16" for you, then I'm here for you. That model is The Sidewinder:

https://youtu.be/KAMGZW3aMQI
Old 01-06-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
Mike, if 15 7/8 is close enough to 16" for you, then I'm here for you. That model is The Sidewinder:

https://youtu.be/KAMGZW3aMQI
Yeah, that’d work! Now I have to save up the money...

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:16 AM

Congrats Mr. Eddie. You know I have a huge man crush on Ben and his guitars, jeez, I have enough of them!

Yes, you owe this all to me and Ben takes far too much credit for his Comma series, as far as I am concerned it should be the B'sox-stravaganza series!!! (Ben are you listening?).

I agree, that Ziricote is mind blowing pretty and it finishes soooo well also, but I feel bad for the top as it takes second fiddle. Look at that straight grain and silking in that T-14 wood! I mean that is an amazing top. I will give Ben some credit here, he is amazing with redwood and has pretty much made me a redwood disciple starting with a hunk of shelf from a hardware store to build the Black Lion (the body size that inspired the Arum BTW).

Congrats and you are going to love this.

Mike, Ben has done one of the Sidewinders for Brad, AZ cardinal that he posted a video on here https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...09#post6545009

I can't even imagine the bass out of that monster as my Nautilus has bass like no other guitar I own.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:58 AM

I agree, Tom. I don't normally name my guitars, but maybe I'll name this one B'sox Box! ;-)

Thanks for commenting on the top. I looked at a number of T14 tops and it came down to this one and another. I chose this one because of the cross-silking and the wide grain, which I've always loved aesthetically.

The other top, which Ben was slightly partial toward b/c of its coloring, is still available for anyone ready to hop on Ben's list and interested in T14.

Last edited by Ukulele_Eddie; 01-11-2021 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Yeah, that’d work! Now I have to save up the money...
I think I will be building a couple more Sidewinders this year- I have a customer or two torn between the Nautilus and it's big brother. At any rate, I will do demos of them, so keep an eyeball peeled.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
arum, wilborn, ziricote