The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-03-2023, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Default An email Pete Huttlinger was so kind to send to me

Thought I had lost this email but just found it. Pete was very nice to send me a detailed email in reply to questions I had. This was back in 2008
He passed away so young.

08/27/2008
Hello Pete,
If you don't mind, a brief follow-up on the Vintech X81s. I'm glad you like them so much. The new CD does have an awesome guitar sound. Did you use the equalization features of these preamps for your latest CD or left it neutral? I have been thinking about the X73's but they have less equalization options. So far I have never altered the raw recording going in, all changes have been made post recording.
Regards, Rick

----- Original Message -----
To: Rick
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: Recording sound e.g Santa Rita Connection

Rick;

Glad you like my tone. It is something that I am always working on and trying to improve
both in the gear that I use and my room that I record in.

I did use KM-84's on Santa Rita. I was using a UA 2-610 mic pre. It was mostly my OM1-A but
sometimes my OM1. I record a fairly hot signal. I don't do any converting on my end. As far as
post recording just reverb and some really light compression which is mainly used for anything that
jumps out of the mix too much. My attitude towards compression is that if I can hear it, it is too much.

These days my sound has improved greatly. I'm using mainly a pair of Neumann KM-254's from the
1960's. The pre amp I like now is made by Vintech Audio. I'm using two X81's but the X73's are every bit
as good. I think my mic and pre-amp choices make the biggest difference in the sound and I don't mind spending extra for really great gear.

I'm learning that not everything has to be miked really close. A lot of that had to do with the
room I last recorded in --- it was small and didn't sound very good acoustically. I've since moved and treated the new room with bass traps in the corners and insulation on the walls. Not all the walls, just two of them. I've got hardwood flooring so that helps to have a reflective surface and the insulation helps to keep sounds from bouncing all over the room and the mics. I'm also able to use a wider spread of the mics and capture more of the guitar in a stereo field because of the better room. I've got a new CD coming out in a little over a month and I have to say that I am really happy with the sounds. I think it's getting a little better each time.

I listened to your recording and it sounded fine to me. I have to admit though that this computer doesn't have a stereo hooked up to it so I just heard it on the computer speakers.

All the best,
Pete Huttlinger
http://www.petehuttlinger.com

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-04-2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this. Fun and informative!
Old 06-04-2023, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing. Somehow I cant exactly recall, I befriended Pete’s widow, Erin, who is also a very generous kind-hearted person. She and Pete authored “Joined at the Heart”, a shallow biography of his career that dives deep into his heart ailments and how he coped and lived a full life. It is probably the most heart-warming and inspirational book I have ever read! If you havent read it, I cannot recommend it enough! I was so moved by its message, I bought a case of them to give to friends at Christmas. Everyone had the same reaction. Sorry I dont have a link, but should be easy google search.

https://www.petehuttlinger.com/shop#...149/category=0

(DUH!)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

Last edited by dnf777; 06-04-2023 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-04-2023, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Dave, thanks for the heads up on the book. I ordered a copy today.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-04-2023, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Dave, thanks for the heads up on the book. I ordered a copy today.
Hope you enjoy it. If you think he was a great guitar player, wait till you see the person he was! His words and deeds really made me take stock of my life and my priorities.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-04-2023, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

That is very cool for Pete to have responded so generously.

I have also ordered a copy of Erin and Pete's book.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD