The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-26-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
You are welcome to see if your schedule works out, s2y. If the guitar arrives in your area and your schedule doesn't allow you to participate ... no worries. I'll just arrange for it to go to the next person on the list.

email me if you'd like to join the list. And also, for those who might be interested, please read the Roadtrip details on my website before asking to join the list.

http://www.fayguitars.com/Guitars/roadtrip.html
I read it closer. I was a little too literal with the "road trip" and transportation concept. I could possibly participate.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:12 AM

I also emailed. Thanks Simon for doing this. Amazing oppurtunity.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:21 PM

Last call for FL, GA, SC, NC area. The guitar will be heading through this area very soon. Contact me at [email protected] if you want it to head your way.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:50 PM

So I am the first recipient of the guitar. I went down and met Simon at his shop. He was kind enough to give my wife and me a tour around the shop with all kinds of awesome information. Simon is truly a nice guy and was so open to sharing his knowledge and taking time out to explain the different woods.

After picking up the guitar, I had a drive about an hour and a half north. I got home around 4pm and I started playing the guitar. I didn’t stop until 4 hours after playing. This guitar is just perfect. Every appointment is flawless. The sound is incredible. The feel is so smooth.

The guitar actually works really well for fingerstyle and strumming. Simon mentioned it wasn’t really made so much for strumming, but I quite like the sound when strummed. Small movements closer to the neck or closer to the bridge make amazing differences in sound. You can really dial in a particular tone simply by moving your picking hand a little bit.

The sound is big, but focused. It’s not boomy, even though there is a lot of bass available.

I’ll be posting more information, but my wife and I recorded a song using this. There are no effects at all. It’s recorded on a single AKG 414 into my iPhone. The room doesn’t have the best acoustics. I mean, it has some REALLY nice acoustics, but you know what I mean. I’m also not a pro at recording by any means and you can hear the mic clip in a couple of spots. But I think it does a nice job of picking up the overall tone of the guitar.

https://youtu.be/JIXOJE6NMrE

I’m so appreciative to be a part of this Roadtrip. It’s an amazing opportunity to get the chance to play a guitar of this caliber.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:58 AM

Good Lord, Joey ... your wife can sing !!! And is that a Mervyn Davis Smooth Talker I spy in the frame. That design has always fascinated me. I have never gotten a chance to play one before ... next time you guys stop by, you'll have to bring it with you.

I had a great time meeting Joey and his wonderful wife ... great folks !!!

----------------------

The Roadtrip has now officially begun. If anyone is still interested in participating, please contact me. The guitar is going to move up along the east coast for the 1st leg of its journey.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:07 PM

Thanks so much, Simon! She can sing, indeed.

And yes, that’s a nylon string Smoothtalker. I’ll absolutely bring it by. They’re unconventional designs, but as you can see from my collection, I’m not a dreadnaught kind of guy.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
Thanks so much, Simon! She can sing, indeed.

And yes, that’s a nylon string Smoothtalker. I’ll absolutely bring it by. They’re unconventional designs, but as you can see from my collection, I’m not a dreadnaught kind of guy.
Beautiful voice and guitar! Congrats on all. I see a Saddlepal and McPherson on the wall too if I am not mistaken. I could listen to your wife sing for many hours myself!
Old 05-09-2023, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

What a great start to this amazing journey this guitar’s going to go through. Thanks again for doing this Simon.

I think it’d be fun if everyone posted a picture or video while you’ve got it. I’d bet we get a few more nice surprises along the way.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Beautiful voice and guitar! Congrats on all. I see a Saddlepal and McPherson on the wall too if I am not mistaken. I could listen to your wife sing for many hours myself!
Yes! You’re right a McPherson and a Lame Horse. Both amazing guitars.

Thank you so much for the kind words on my wife’s singing. She’s definitely talented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
What a great start to this amazing journey this guitar’s going to go through. Thanks again for doing this Simon.

I think it’d be fun if everyone posted a picture or video while you’ve got it. I’d bet we get a few more nice surprises along the way.

I’d love to see other people provide some clips on the guitar as well.

I have been playing it tonight and I plan on making some more recordings and an overview of the guitar. It’s seriously stunning.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:10 PM

Default Simon Fay -- Roadtrip Guitar

Here is an overview of the guitar.

https://youtu.be/2wpE8D_BCT8

I’ll post one with more sound demos later. Here it is. Not sure why there is no preview image.

https://youtu.be/R4SS-M5nmnU

Last edited by jojobean39; 05-12-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 11:38 AM
Humanist

Congrats to Simon, and to all the lucky participants in this road-trip guitar experience.

Disclaimer: I’ve been friends with Simon since around 2007 or ‘08 (thanks to the AGF), and I’ve owned various guitars built by him…and I currently have a spectacular 2018 Model One cutaway.

I’ve long considered Simon’s work as simply the best of the best, and in many ways leading the way for the contemporary guitar sound, and it’s aesthetic.

Thanks to Joey for the excellent videos (and playing!), highlighting the guitar’s clean design, and its musical capabilities (even those beyond what Simon believes!). A great send-off for this terrific guitar.[emoji171]

Here's a video from April of 2020, when my Cocobolo/Carpathian Model One was just about 2 years old...recorded w/a couple of cheapo-mics, and as far as I remember, no EQ/effects added:

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 05-16-2023 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
So I am the first recipient of the guitar. I went down and met Simon at his shop. He was kind enough to give my wife and me a tour around the shop with all kinds of awesome information. Simon is truly a nice guy and was so open to sharing his knowledge and taking time out to explain the different woods.

After picking up the guitar, I had a drive about an hour and a half north. I got home around 4pm and I started playing the guitar. I didn’t stop until 4 hours after playing. This guitar is just perfect. Every appointment is flawless. The sound is incredible. The feel is so smooth.

The guitar actually works really well for fingerstyle and strumming. Simon mentioned it wasn’t really made so much for strumming, but I quite like the sound when strummed. Small movements closer to the neck or closer to the bridge make amazing differences in sound. You can really dial in a particular tone simply by moving your picking hand a little bit.

The sound is big, but focused. It’s not boomy, even though there is a lot of bass available.

I’ll be posting more information, but my wife and I recorded a song using this. There are no effects at all. It’s recorded on a single AKG 414 into my iPhone. The room doesn’t have the best acoustics. I mean, it has some REALLY nice acoustics, but you know what I mean. I’m also not a pro at recording by any means and you can hear the mic clip in a couple of spots. But I think it does a nice job of picking up the overall tone of the guitar.

https://youtu.be/JIXOJE6NMrE

I’m so appreciative to be a part of this Roadtrip. It’s an amazing opportunity to get the chance to play a guitar of this caliber.
JoJoB,

No problems with your recording on my end, it captured the sound quite well. Thank you to your wife and you for brighting up my day with a heartfelt song. This guitar sounds great, wish I could have a chance to play one of Simon’s guitars some day.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 05-16-2023, 06:14 PM

Thank you guys so much!

Here is one last recording. I hadn’t planned on doing another, but I put it in open D tuning and wanted to capture it.

I gratuitously threw in some harmonics to highlight them. Don’t judge. [emoji23]

https://youtu.be/ZedYJOTKEtA
Old 05-16-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Congrats to Simon, and to all the lucky participants in this road-trip guitar experience.

Disclaimer: I’ve been friends with Simon since around 2007 or ‘08 (thanks to the AGF), and I’ve owned various guitars built by him…and I currently have a spectacular 2018 Model One cutaway.

I’ve long considered Simon’s work as simply the best of the best, and in many ways leading the way for the contemporary guitar sound, and it’s aesthetic.

Thanks to Joey for the excellent videos (and playing!), highlighting the guitar’s clean design, and its musical capabilities (even those beyond what Simon believes!). A great send-off for this terrific guitar.[emoji171]

Here's a video from April of 2020, when my Cocobolo/Carpathian Model One was just about 2 years old...recorded w/a couple of cheapo-mics, and as far as I remember, no EQ/effects added:

What tuning is that? Your playing is phenomenal. That’s a great sound out of that guitar.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:10 PM
Humanist

Quote:
What tuning is that? Your playing is phenomenal. That’s a great sound out of that guitar.
Thanks, man. Simon's guitars are inspirational, for sure...

I'm in DADGAD.

Here's another, from August of 2021:

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop