The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Instrument Alley - Anyone deal with them lately?

I don't know if I made a mistake or not.

I ordered a Recording King guitar from them a few days ago. Their prices were the best out there. There is not a RK dealer within 150 miles from me.

I can't seem to get any of my emails answered. My order status just says "processing"

Anyone deal with them in the last 6 months or so that can give some feedback on your experience? Good, bad, or ugly...
Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 PM

ouch!!! I am so sorry. You should call you credit card company and change your numbers ASAP, and also tell them to reject the claim!!! Seems like a fraud company trying to steal your credit card number.....
Old 09-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

don't panic. take a deeep breath. i'd like to point out that a lot of the negative feedbacks says the company is very slow to respond and to ship, which is also what people here say. people here also say it's because the company is one lone guy doing everything himself. so it seems you'll need some patience, but that eventually your guitar will arrive.

if you opt to order elsewhere, elderly has a nice selection of recording kings
http://www.elderly.com/brand/20N_recording%20king.html
Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM

just because their a bit slow doesnt mean their a bad company -i belive i bought my classical from them a couple of years ago -if my memory serves me well . they knocked themselves out for me -good price , and they even did a special order so i could get the Vintage case ....dont loose faith just because someone doesnt dance on a pin for you !
Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

instrument alley seems to be very slow compared to other companies - it's not a question of not dancing on a pin for the buyers.

part of the problem seems to be that many of the guitars are not in stock at instrument alley, so obviously they can't be shipped till they arrive, and the lack of communication paired with the guitar not arriving in what would be a normal time makes people worry. unless buyers know in advance that this isn't a responsive company, worrying seems reasonable after their emails go unanswered and the guitar hasn't arrived in two or three weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
just because their a bit slow doesnt mean their a bad company -i belive i bought my classical from them a couple of years ago -if my memory serves me well . they knocked themselves out for me -good price , and they even did a special order so i could get the Vintage case ....dont loose faith just because someone doesnt dance on a pin for you !
Old 09-14-2011, 02:53 PM

I don't know if they're "legit" or not... I'd say they must be, or they would already be out of business based on the amount of complaints. So, let's go with they ARE legit... I'll still never order from them. Price be ****ed. What happened to customer service? Hell, what happened to the simple consideration of answering an f'ing email?!?!

No thanks. I'll take my business elsewhere.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 09-14-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
instrument alley seems to be very slow compared to other companies - it's not a question of not dancing on a pin for the buyers.

part of the problem seems to be that many of the guitars are not in stock at instrument alley, so obviously they can't be shipped till they arrive, and the lack of communication paired with the guitar not arriving in what would be a normal time makes people worry. unless buyers know in advance that this isn't a responsive company, worrying seems reasonable after their emails go unanswered and the guitar hasn't arrived in two or three weeks.
Patticake I do believe they did order mine special for me , because i wanted the guitar and the case to come together - It did take a few weeks -but the guitar was a very good one that i was well pleased with. i remember another forum member at the time lived near where their store is located and mentioned they did have a few of the particular guitar that i was looking for -- i did get them on the phone ( they are a one man operation I believe ) and he was very straight forward with me -and did everything i asked of him -so i have no complaint . I quess this is one of those times where having patience is a good thing . Elderly might be faster ( their a very good company to deal with ) Ive delt with them as well -their good people !
Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
don't panic. take a deeep breath. i'd like to point out that a lot of the negative feedbacks says the company is very slow to respond and to ship, which is also what people here say. people here also say it's because the company is one lone guy doing everything himself. so it seems you'll need some patience, but that eventually your guitar will arrive.
I'm really not in a hurry for the guitar. It seems most of the complaints are centered around slow shipping. That is why I asked the question. If this is just the way they do business, and I am aware of it, then that's fine. For the money difference, I can wait.

Heck, I had to wait 1 month for my HD-28, and 3 months for my OM-42.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 PM

I still say lack of communication is simply unacceptable. But that's me.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 09-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I don't know if I made a mistake or not.

I ordered a Recording King guitar from them a few days ago. Their prices were the best out there. There is not a RK dealer within 150 miles from me.

I can't seem to get any of my emails answered. My order status just says "processing"

Anyone deal with them in the last 6 months or so that can give some feedback on your experience? Good, bad, or ugly...
Bought my RK from them just over a year ago. Had some questions a month ago. Sent them a couple emails.... Communications were a little slow -- similar to what you described -- but they eventually respond.

IIRC, it took a couple days to get questions answered, and it also took 7-10 business days to get the guitar. Generally, I think they are an OK company to do business with. I'd still recommend them.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjstewa View Post
Bought my RK from them just over a year ago. Had some questions a month ago. Sent them a couple emails.... Communications were a little slow -- similar to what you described -- but they eventually respond.

IIRC, it took a couple days to get questions answered, and it also took 7-10 business days to get the guitar. Generally, I think they are an OK company to do business with. I'd still recommend them.
Thanks, glad to hear it.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:15 PM

I ordered a Guardian featherweight case from Instrument Alley last May. Five days after placing the order, I requested status via email. About a half hour later I received an email stating it had shipped that day. It was probably picked up by FedEx very shortly after that exchange, as it was very late in the afternoon. No problem, except they were a little slow to ship, and pretty much out of contact in the meantime.

Don
Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 PM

I bought from them (Him). I received no confirmation/correspondence for several days - then a quick "it has shipped". Not a real confidence inspiring outfit. However, I did receive the goods, in good shape, and in ten days. And that is what I have heard over and over from other buyers.

Would I buy from him again? Probably not. I like prompt correspondence, it makes me feel like there is a real shop somewhere. Instrument Alley feels like just some guy with a website.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitAbuse View Post
I bought from them (Him). I received no confirmation/correspondence for several days - then a quick "it has shipped". Not a real confidence inspiring outfit. However, I did receive the goods, in good shape, and in ten days. And that is what I have heard over and over from other buyers.

Would I buy from him again? Probably not. I like prompt correspondence, it makes me feel like there is a real shop somewhere. Instrument Alley feels like just some guy with a website.
Well, today is day 5 since I ordered my guitar. Not a peep out of them. No emails, voicemail, texts, carrier pigeons, Nada.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion