The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2021, 03:22 AM
Charter Member

I would use this, as I am repeatedly switching from standard to drop D and back during the course of a normal gig.

However I have spoken to several people over the years who have these devices on their guitars. They report that the tuning/detuning is not always accurate, necessitating tuning adjustment thereby negating any advantage the device might have.

As it happens, I can tune and retune very quickly, so I’ve gotten used to muting the guitar in the PA, retuning, unmute and I’m up and running again in seconds. So I guess I’ll pass on what ever whizbangetry does this for me, thanks.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I would use this, as I am repeatedly switching from standard to drop D and back during the course of a normal gig.

However I have spoken to several people over the years who have these devices on their guitars. They report that the tuning/detuning is not always accurate, necessitating tuning adjustment thereby negating any advantage the device might have.

As it happens, I can tune and retune very quickly, so I’ve gotten used to muting the guitar in the PA, retuning, unmute and I’m up and running again in seconds. So I guess I’ll pass on what ever whizbangetry does this for me, thanks.
I have one guitar with a Hipshot D Tuner. This particular guitar has a zero fret. I have never been able to get it to work properly.

On bass, I found that an angled headstock typically sounds better for detuning, but doesn't toggle accurately. Straight pull headstocks are more reliable, but the open string rattles a lot more.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:04 PM

Timara String drop in live action

Old 06-06-2023, 04:10 PM
Get off my lawn kid

The AGF rulebook is explicit in this type of issue.

Rule 13.b(c).1.(a) clearly states that if a member plays more than 20% of their time in a tuning other than standard, the member must buy a guitar dedicated for use in that tuning.

Severe penalties are enforced if the rule is not followed.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-06-2023, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
Has anybody ever heard of this function before? Marcus Wong of The Golden Era Guitar explains it in the following video with regard to an incredible Matsuda (4:30). It seems there are two extra frets on the low E, and an installed capo for changing to standard quickly. Wouldn't this be a great alternative to a fanned fret guitar? With the two extra frets, the scale length and tension of the low E are increased significantly, and, at least to me, the low E is the most problematic string sound and intonationwise if you play in D or C tunings. So you have the main sound advantage of a fanned fret, but without the altered ergonomics. Why isn't this more popular? Or am I missing something?
https://youtu.be/_uq59NXJZwM
Hi Ernesto…
I led worship this past weekend at our church and two of the songs were in key of D (and 2 in G). I drop-tuned from standard to Dropped D on the fly. I switched twice during the set (the first and last songs were in D), and the congregation didn't know (and if they did - they would not care).

I play so much in dropped D that I can get within a fraction of being spot on by 'feel' (and the tuner on the headstock gets me precise). The gearing is constant, and it's a fixed distance around the shaft to get there, and a quick tweak brings it spot-on.

It takes less than a second to switch it either down to D or back up to E.

I'm guessing the reason most of us don't have that 'function' is it would be hard to retro-fit, and a Matsuda is out of most people's price range. The concept is actually usually found on modern built upright bass violins. They often have either one or two step extended low string fingerboards with an apparatus to engage it quickly.

But I don't need a capo nor Hip-Shot tuner nor extender. Unless you have 21:1 tuners, you can always drop or recover the full step without letting go and taking a second twist. Depending on where the wind starts on a 21:1 ratio tuner, I can usually get it in one motion. But sometimes I need a second tweak (and the tuner is on when I do this on-the-fly).

The gear ratio in the tuners on my acoustics is the same on two of my three. That fixed gear ratio means it's going to be pretty much the same amount of loosening or tightening every time.

And one of my main guitars is a fanned-fret OM, and drop tuning (or getting back to standard) works the same way with it was it does on my Dreadnought.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 06-06-2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

. . . . . . .
Old 06-06-2023, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

There was a thing that came out in the Dive Bomber Strat era. If memory serves it was called a D Tuna. Maybe EVH?

Seriously it takes seconds to tune your low E down to D. Do you need a product?

+
Old 06-06-2023, 06:49 PM
Guest 61722

This guitar had my attention for a while last year. It's beautiful and sounds great, but I didn't end up getting it.

https://mightyfineguitars.com/new-pr...uild-d-60-1987

It has a Drop-D tuner that is kind of cool. See photos. It doesn't currently work. I'm not sure if that is original or an after market thing. I do wonder why this guitar is still in the shop. I was sure it would sell immediately.

Any thoughts about that?
Old 06-06-2023, 06:57 PM

Hi everybody, first post-
In the vid he keeps calling it a drop D, but it is not really a drop D as many replies suggest (excuse me if this is obvious). The nice thing about this configuration is that you can access the low D without changing your fingerings, as is the case when you literally "drop" the E to a D and the two low strings are then tuned in 5ths rather than 4ths.

I would love to try a guitar built this way, as I occasionally play with a jury rigged version: I put a pinch type capo over the high E-A strings, excluding the low E. This allows me to play in A (G shape) and hit the E as a base note. Etc. It expands the flavor of cowboy chords and can be pretty fun. It is not easy to hit the F sharp though.

In the mandolin world this type of instrument is called a Nordic Mandola.

I am not into the aesthetic but like the idea.

happy picking
Old 06-07-2023, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

It may well be that I lack imagination but, from where I’m standing, it seems a perfect example of a solution looking for a problem.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-07-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopstop View Post
Hi everybody, first post-
In the vid he keeps calling it a drop D, but it is not really a drop D as many replies suggest (excuse me if this is obvious). The nice thing about this configuration is that you can access the low D without changing your fingerings, as is the case when you literally "drop" the E to a D and the two low strings are then tuned in 5ths rather than 4ths.

I would love to try a guitar built this way, as I occasionally play with a jury rigged version: I put a pinch type capo over the high E-A strings, excluding the low E. This allows me to play in A (G shape) and hit the E as a base note. Etc. It expands the flavor of cowboy chords and can be pretty fun. It is not easy to hit the F sharp though.

In the mandolin world this type of instrument is called a Nordic Mandola.

I am not into the aesthetic but like the idea.

happy picking

Welcome, stopstop! I like the 5 string partial capo also. Same fingerings except for E shape, plus you get the bass note for D shape.

Here’s a Shubb version:

Shubb 5 String Partial Capo https://a.co/d/905fIeH
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 06-07-2023, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

That is a cool trick. I tried it on the OM and it works great. Problem is that most drop D songs are in D and not E, though its not a big deal to transpose them. It does lose a bit of that low growl of the tuning your E down to D, but as a quick work around its cool.

Thanks for posting it.

+
Old 06-07-2023, 11:35 AM

I need to get one of those partial capos. If memory serves I tried using a banjo capo over the 5 strings but it was too narrow. And the geometry of the 6 string capo over 5 was a little off. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-07-2023, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I wasn't precise, sorry, English isn't my mother tongue. What I meant by advantage is not saving a few seconds tuning down from E to D, but having an extended scale, thus cleaner notes and better intonation if tuned down, on the low E, like on a fanned fret guitar. But in this case, it plays like a normal guitar and you don't need to stretch your fingers more than usual.
Hi Ernesto…
Whenever I have one of my guitars intonated (as part of a setup), I ask them to tune the 6th string to D before intonating it. Solves the problem of it playing in tune when drop tuned.

I know folks who play in DADGAD and they tune it to DADGAD when intonating it.

Perhaps your ear is more critical than mine. But my action is close, and when intonated in the drop tuning, I don't have intonation issues when tuned to standard tuning.

But I was having issues with the low D note when I didn't have it intonated while tuned down.

I'm sure one could have the alteration done or a custom guitar built. I don't find the average player concerned about what you are describing, so I wouldn't expect manufactured guitars to begin adding that feature.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-07-2023, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

A solution in search of a problem...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion