The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-28-2023, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba Stage

Anyone have one or tried it out? Thoughts? I just got one and wonder what others think of it. Jury is still out for me but I'll give it a chance before making the final decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stage2.jpg (34.8 KB, 140 views)
Old 05-28-2023, 08:52 AM

It will be interesting to see what responses you get, as well as your review.

I'm interested in an "alternative" nylon strung guitar, but I'd prefer a much shorter scale length.

There are a few topics relating to the Cordoba Stage, HERE is one that has good info about the guitar if anyone is not familiar.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:57 PM

Skip,

I had the chance to try one at a local store maybe 3 or so weeks ago. I played it through a Fishman Loudbox (I think it was the Artist). It sounded great when the body mic was blended in.

Pros:
  • Very light weight
  • Sounded great with the body mic blended in
  • Small body, so it hangs like an electric guitar and will be much more familiar for electric players
  • The one I tested was reasonably intonated. I admittedly had to use my ears (shop was busy and I didn't have a tuner, so I had to use ye good ol' ears and harmonics to tune), but I can hear within about 2-3 cents, and I'd guess maybe the G string might have been pushing 4 cents sharp at the 12th, and the high E string 2-3 cents sharp. Not bad for being off the shelf.

Cons:
  • If the body mic introduces feedback when in a band setting, then one would be relying only on the piezo, and that sounds just as piezo-y as any other piezo I've heard. I obviously couldn't test a band scenario.
  • I know I said the small body was a pro, but it's also a con for someone who's primarily plays a normal classical guitar (which is me). It just doesn't "feel" right, which is admittedly a totally subjective thing. My Godin Multiac Grand Concert Duet Ambience is much larger, and feels more appropriate when sitting in the classical position.
  • Body mic seems to be seated low on the body. Tapping the guitar top won't generate much of a tap sound if you're trying some flamenco techniques.
  • This is a personal problem, but I'm just darn used to a 52mm nut width, and the associated string-to-string spacing. Anything less, and I find my pull-offs can end up accidentally dampening other strings. The Stage has a slightly smaller nut width, so it was slightly cramped for me.
  • I'd need a strap to play it, or a very low chair with a very high foot stool.

Everyone's mileage will certainly vary. The sound was quite lovely if you ask me. If it were out when I was looking to buy an amplified solution, I'd strongly consider this vs. my Godin.
Old 08-12-2023, 05:44 AM

Skip, where did you end up with this guitar?

I just got one delivered yesterday for a project I'm doing for my wife, and my first impressions are very favorable. But I'm also using it for non-traditional classical stuff. More or less synth-pop 80's flavored music that will have a nylon string sound in it. Luckily for me I only need to make short bits for Podcast/YouTube and not entire songs.

It seems like it'll be perfect for my purpose. Easy to plug in and run through some effects to my computer. Lots of Source Audio stuff and midi controllers/keys for this.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:34 AM

I tried one at GC. Wanted to love it, as I have another Cordoba nylon already. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, in terms of sound or playability. And the price, while still expensive, seems fair. For whatever reason, it just didn't make me want to play it, or be inspired by it. That is totally subjective, and I may not have messed with it long enough to get everything out of it in a noisy GC. But definitely worth consideration, and about half the cost of a Godin Multiac.... I'd say it is a very good value. Cordoba does a nice job.
Old 08-12-2023, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyfish View Post
Skip, where did you end up with this guitar?

I just got one delivered yesterday for a project I'm doing for my wife, and my first impressions are very favorable. But I'm also using it for non-traditional classical stuff. More or less synth-pop 80's flavored music that will have a nylon string sound in it. Luckily for me I only need to make short bits for Podcast/YouTube and not entire songs.

It seems like it'll be perfect for my purpose. Easy to plug in and run through some effects to my computer. Lots of Source Audio stuff and midi controllers/keys for this.
I got one from Sweetwater and sent it back. Out of the box, it was unplayable - way too much relief and found out the truss rod was too tight in the wrong direction - got that squared away, then had to take a lot off the saddle to make it comfortable. Didn't care for the electronics, especially the blend control; it seemed like the sound was only good when it was turned up, but then, the body transducer was too sensitive. For someone who plays more modern things (tapping/body percussion, etc.) it might be OK but not for me. Really pretty guitar, though.
Old 08-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
I tried one at GC. Wanted to love it, as I have another Cordoba nylon already. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, in terms of sound or playability. And the price, while still expensive, seems fair. For whatever reason, it just didn't make me want to play it, or be inspired by it. That is totally subjective, and I may not have messed with it long enough to get everything out of it in a noisy GC. But definitely worth consideration, and about half the cost of a Godin Multiac.... I'd say it is a very good value. Cordoba does a nice job.
Had a Godin for awhile and think I preferred it over the Cordoba. I did have a Cordoba GK Studio (cypress) that I should have kept - sold it to get the Godin. Go figure.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical