The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-19-2023, 06:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Recording/editing software recommendation needed

For the last three years I've been using Amadeus Lite for very basic tasks such as trimming, basic EQ adjustments, volume adjustments, etc. before sending my sound files off to e-mastered (highly recommended, BTW). But yesterday I received some kind of error message basically saying my version of Amadeus Lite needed to be deleted and then reinstalled. I tried to do this and it just keeps getting stuck in the "update"mode.

I considered buying the "pro" version of $99 but after reading multiple reviews of it citing lots of glitches including the need to buy an even fancier version I began exploring other reasonably priced editing programs that are AOS compatible and (at least going through the recommendations via the Apple App Store) it seemed that every single one had many complaints ranging from basic bait-and-switch, random shut downs, sketchy updates and more. I'm at a loss. So I'm hoping someone here can recommend a pretty basic, easy to use and reliable editing program for sound files.

Background: I use my Spire recorder to create basic tracks (using excellent quality mics, run through a good quality 8 track mixer) to create simple sound files for my students of their lessons, some 2,3,4 track recording of my own stuff with minimal "polishing" beyond gain optimization and a bit of subtle reverb (again....thank you e-mastered!!). This is all straight acoustic guitar recording, with the occasional use of a Boss DR-01 rhythm generator.

It is a very, very basic set up but to my ear anyway, the results have been more than satisfactory, sometimes even very good. I am seeking basically the same thing in a sound editing program: simplicity, reliability, not too severe a learning curve, and reasonably priced (a one-time purchase, not a yearly subscription). That was what I had with Amadeus Lite but sad to say, it looks like I'll have to move on.....

As you have probably surmised, I am most definitely NOT one of those guys with an incredible home studio nor do I want to be. So PLEASE turn me on to a good substitute for my good ol' Amadeus software!

Thanks!!

Gene
Old 05-19-2023, 09:47 AM

Sound’s like you’re on a Mac. Have you checked out GarageBand? It’s free & likely already sitting on your computer.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 05-19-2023, 10:50 AM

Have you tried Audacity? It's free, open source multiplatform software. It may not tick all your boxes, but works well enough for me, plus the price is right

https://www.audacityteam.org/
Old 05-19-2023, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
For the last three years I've been using Amadeus Lite for very basic tasks such as trimming, basic EQ adjustments, volume adjustments, etc. before sending my sound files off to e-mastered (highly recommended, BTW). But yesterday I received some kind of error message basically saying my version of Amadeus Lite needed to be deleted and then reinstalled. I tried to do this and it just keeps getting stuck in the "update"mode.

I considered buying the "pro" version of $99 but after reading multiple reviews of it citing lots of glitches including the need to buy an even fancier version I began exploring other reasonably priced editing programs that are AOS compatible and (at least going through the recommendations via the Apple App Store) it seemed that every single one had many complaints ranging from basic bait-and-switch, random shut downs, sketchy updates and more. I'm at a loss. So I'm hoping someone here can recommend a pretty basic, easy to use and reliable editing program for sound files.

Background: I use my Spire recorder to create basic tracks (using excellent quality mics, run through a good quality 8 track mixer) to create simple sound files for my students of their lessons, some 2,3,4 track recording of my own stuff with minimal "polishing" beyond gain optimization and a bit of subtle reverb (again....thank you e-mastered!!). This is all straight acoustic guitar recording, with the occasional use of a Boss DR-01 rhythm generator.

It is a very, very basic set up but to my ear anyway, the results have been more than satisfactory, sometimes even very good. I am seeking basically the same thing in a sound editing program: simplicity, reliability, not too severe a learning curve, and reasonably priced (a one-time purchase, not a yearly subscription). That was what I had with Amadeus Lite but sad to say, it looks like I'll have to move on.....

As you have probably surmised, I am most definitely NOT one of those guys with an incredible home studio nor do I want to be. So PLEASE turn me on to a good substitute for my good ol' Amadeus software!

Thanks!!

Gene
Some suggestions:

Pro Tools Intro (free)
Studio One Prime (free)
Studio One Artist (perpetual license for $100)
Garageband (standard app on all Macs)
Old 05-19-2023, 01:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

There’s also Apple’s Logic Pro as a step-up from GarageBand for a not too costly fee.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Reaper is a great DAW. Its pretty simple to get started with, but its absolutely deep enough to do professional level work with the more you get into it. There are also tons of forums with tips on it, and people creating custom skins and everything to customize to your hearts desire. It's also only $60 for a license, but you can try it for free.

-Mike
Old 05-19-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Some suggestions:

Studio One Artist (perpetual license for $100)
...or buy a PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 audio interface for LESS than $100, and get Studio One Artist included.

BTW, now that Artist allows the use of third-party VSTs, it is pretty much a full-featured DAW.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-21-2023, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
...or buy a PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 audio interface for LESS than $100, and get Studio One Artist included.

BTW, now that Artist allows the use of third-party VSTs, it is pretty much a full-featured DAW.
Good points. Studio One is a great DAW. Relatively easy to learn, very smooth in use, features galore, high quality code writing, excellent company support.

The Artist version has more features than most of use would ever need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD