The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-15-2023, 07:57 AM

Default J.P. Cormier

Here's a brand new 20 minutes of video featuring J.P. Cormier doing his impressive brand of picking and there's also interspersed interview segments that provide a basic background of his life and career.

Highly recommended for those who may be unfamiliar with J.P.!

Old 04-20-2023, 04:29 PM

Thanks for sharing the video
Old 04-30-2023, 09:04 AM

Great ,never heard of him.. great
Old 04-30-2023, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

JP is awesome. I subscribe to his YouTube channel and really enjoy his content.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:06 PM

His reviews on the Recording King guitars are really cool. I have a few of his CDs in my posse.

Americans are not familiar with him. They should be.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-05-2023, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
JP is awesome. I subscribe to his YouTube channel and really enjoy his content.
Me too. My brother turned me on to him a few months ago.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:49 PM
Musical minimalist

Just posted this in Open Mic....J.P. reflecting on Gordo.

Lightfoot.
Where do I begin?
Well, first of all, you should know that I’m not a fan of his, but an Acolyte. I stand in awe of his brilliance as much now as when I did at the age of 7 learning the words and chords to Home From the Forest. Without him, there would have been no JP, at least not the one that exists today.
He was in my opinion, the greatest songwriter that ever lived.
Why? What made him Lightfoot and the rest of us just struggling students trying to catch up?
I think I can sum that up in one sentence.
Where it would take me an entire stanza to convey a single image to the listener, he could paint an entire tome of pictures with a single line.
His alchemy was so powerful that you could be lost down the road of memory and imagination from hearing one single line and miss the rest of the song. That’s why he will NEVER die. We the listeners will never be done imagining all of his words. His songs never get old or tired because they jump to beautiful vivid life in the mind’s eye each and every time they fill the air. It has become one of life’s constants, like a perfect mathematical formula that can’t be denied or refuted.
The man that I knew was kind hearted, filled with an almost childlike wonder at things. Always probing and asking questions, it was easy to see he was a writer before anything else. On the few occasions I was privileged to spend a few hours around him, he treated me as an equal, even though below my calm demeanour I was screaming and jumping around in my head: “I’m talking to Gordon Lightfoot!!”
He was smart and warm and affectionate. The last time I saw him we played a show together in Toronto. I was on right before him and had to introduce him. When I did, he stepped on the stage and came directly to me with his hand out.
“That was amazing, JP,” he said.
I did the only thing I could do. I leaned over, kissed the back of his hand and bowed down and backed off the stage.
He laughed.
He then spent about three minutes telling the audience about my album The Long River. How proud he was of it and of me. It was a surreal moment. Unbelievable in fact. I sometimes wonder if it was a dream.
Outside, after the show he hugged me. This little frail man who had commanded such silence during his solo performance of “I’ll Tag Along” that you could almost hear people’s hearts beating in the room. Even the fridges behind the bar seemed to go deathly still.
“Thank you JP, you’re a good man,” he said turning to go to the limo’s rear door. Then he stepped back towards me and hugged me again, “You’ll make Long River volume two, won’t you? There’s lots of material left.”
“Yes sir I will. I love you, take care of yourself,” I said.
“We love you too,” he said, and then he and the Lincoln Navigator were gone.
I feel like that this morning.
He told us for 60 years that he loved us and then quietly left us.
So no matter whether you met him behind a stage or at an event, or just meet him in front of the dusty speakers of your turntable, know that he loved you.
We were his biggest concern, and his biggest joy. He loved us.
How lucky we are.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Just posted this in Open Mic....J.P. reflecting on Gordo.

Lightfoot.
Where do I begin?
Well, first of all, you should know that I’m not a fan of his, but an Acolyte. I stand in awe of his brilliance as much now as when I did at the age of 7 learning the words and chords to Home From the Forest. Without him, there would have been no JP, at least not the one that exists today.
He was in my opinion, the greatest songwriter that ever lived.
Why? What made him Lightfoot and the rest of us just struggling students trying to catch up?
I think I can sum that up in one sentence.
Where it would take me an entire stanza to convey a single image to the listener, he could paint an entire tome of pictures with a single line.
His alchemy was so powerful that you could be lost down the road of memory and imagination from hearing one single line and miss the rest of the song. That’s why he will NEVER die. We the listeners will never be done imagining all of his words. His songs never get old or tired because they jump to beautiful vivid life in the mind’s eye each and every time they fill the air. It has become one of life’s constants, like a perfect mathematical formula that can’t be denied or refuted.
The man that I knew was kind hearted, filled with an almost childlike wonder at things. Always probing and asking questions, it was easy to see he was a writer before anything else. On the few occasions I was privileged to spend a few hours around him, he treated me as an equal, even though below my calm demeanour I was screaming and jumping around in my head: “I’m talking to Gordon Lightfoot!!”
He was smart and warm and affectionate. The last time I saw him we played a show together in Toronto. I was on right before him and had to introduce him. When I did, he stepped on the stage and came directly to me with his hand out.
“That was amazing, JP,” he said.
I did the only thing I could do. I leaned over, kissed the back of his hand and bowed down and backed off the stage.
He laughed.
He then spent about three minutes telling the audience about my album The Long River. How proud he was of it and of me. It was a surreal moment. Unbelievable in fact. I sometimes wonder if it was a dream.
Outside, after the show he hugged me. This little frail man who had commanded such silence during his solo performance of “I’ll Tag Along” that you could almost hear people’s hearts beating in the room. Even the fridges behind the bar seemed to go deathly still.
“Thank you JP, you’re a good man,” he said turning to go to the limo’s rear door. Then he stepped back towards me and hugged me again, “You’ll make Long River volume two, won’t you? There’s lots of material left.”
“Yes sir I will. I love you, take care of yourself,” I said.
“We love you too,” he said, and then he and the Lincoln Navigator were gone.
I feel like that this morning.
He told us for 60 years that he loved us and then quietly left us.
So no matter whether you met him behind a stage or at an event, or just meet him in front of the dusty speakers of your turntable, know that he loved you.
We were his biggest concern, and his biggest joy. He loved us.
How lucky we are.
Dag nabbit. That brought tears.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:26 AM

Thats nice thanks for sharing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN