The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Beyond basic features brought up, current vehicles have highly effective safety systems as part of the cost. Now we're in a new stage of that with even light trucks forced by competition to add AEB, and headlights added as a safety measure.

For perspective, a Subaru Outback has AWD, good fuel economy, top safety pick and you can get that with more features than any standard mid or full-sized 1972 wagon for around $29,000+. Adjusted for inflation that's less than a 1972 Ford Country Squire started.

You can't buy a new Jeep CJ like a 1970s model but adjusted for inflation a Roxor is less expensive and has a turbocharged diesel engine no Jeep then had.

When many complain about prices they seem to forget more than adjust for inflation. We have richness in both of product choices and product features that were not even options or possible.

In the meanwhile I'm happy to wake up not feeling any new toy syndrome or covetousness though we are in dealer queue for vehicles no one will own for a while.
Maybe adjustments for Inflation, are completely nonsensical and unnecessary?
Old 09-22-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Yes, they're less likely to burst into flames on impact. Having survived driving a 1970 Pinto, I'm very careful about safety in my old age!
Not "much" less likely really. After all, even the Pinto wasn't THAT bad. For those too young to be familiar with the story...

https://www.reifflawfirm.com/fords-f...aths-lawsuits/

A total of 27 people died. That may seem like a lot but think of the number of vehicles and passengers on the road.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
I bought a '21 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. The car employs a Lot of plastic, and is very noisy at any speed over 35 mph. Dealer said could not fix, $55K? Off road custom shops said could make quieter for $3-5K. I wondered, after dropping $55K cash, why should I have to pony up another %5K to avoid Hearing Damage?
You bought a Jeep Wrangler and you were surprised by the road noise?

Not being critical but you don't buy a Jeep for a quiet ride.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Road noise is why we didn’t buy a Tesla model Y. I agree, I expect a Jeep Wrangler to be noisy, but a Tesla? We couldn’t even manage a full test drive due to how horribly loud it was.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Crank windows were fun.

Kids these days don't know what they're missing...
My first car had 2 keys, one for the door locks, and another for the ignition.
And yes, crank windows too!
Old 09-22-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Don't forget about the crank starter...
Old 09-23-2023, 05:01 AM

The price of used vehicles is deceptively attractive if you’re in the mood to sell and re-purchase a new one.
But sometimes, there are exceptions:

A 2016 Kia Optima with the same mileage and equipment as ours is currently listed on Carvana for $20,450.
That would be around $1000 less than what we paid for ours.
A new K5 (New name for the Optima) is listed at $26,000.
That would indicate a couple of things.
Our Optima has depreciated less than 10% in seven years.
A new one is only about 20% more than what we paid seven years ago or a little over 3% $$ increase per year.
Not bad.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-23-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Maybe adjustments for Inflation, are completely nonsensical and unnecessary?
It would be hard for me to think that way. Normalize and standardize are two of the concepts from school that have been important for just about forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post

But they are contradicting the recent trends in pricing. Other Jeep models have deep discounts and subsidized prices too.

https://jalopnik.com/nows-a-great-ti...bec-1850866730

I checked them out (plus other models) because an enthusiastic neighbor's does fit in a garage, have manual transmissions available, but they are not really pleasant against so many choices. After seeming crude and cheap against the competition it was hard to ignore the safety and quality ratings. A few SUV models 3 of our c suite execs lease or leased have been some close up reminders of SFQ too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Road noise is why we didn’t buy a Tesla model Y. I agree, I expect a Jeep Wrangler to be noisy, but a Tesla? We couldn’t even manage a full test drive due to how horribly loud it was.
They've added insulation but also just sound different for no engine and transmission making noise. The price is compelling but we still dislike center only console, find having to use software to adjust an air vent annoying, and their CEO even more annoying.

It will be SO interesting to watch the market head to toe - the increased competition, innovation, and it looks like some changes in product choices too. I read sedans in addition to minivans have regains popularity. Gen Z and metro areas with good planning are probably pressure against the prices and status quo.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I bought my Honda off the lot in 2019. It doesn't have GPS or an automatic tail gate. Those options added up to around $6,000. I didn't want them anyway as I keep my Vehicules until they drop, and those items are just more things to break. When you are paying cash, you look at $6,000 differently than a couple of extra dollars on the loan or lease.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-23-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
And good luck finding ANY "affordable" car once the strike ends. If the CEOs of the major car companies simply dropped the price of their vehicles then they wouldn't have "billions in profits" for the Union to target. While they're at it those guys could stand to take some pay cuts too. Why are cars so expensive? Greed.
Why don't you just pay more? Greed.

Aren't people who buy new cars all rich anyway?

I'm kidding. I know rich people never think they're rich.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
And good luck finding ANY "affordable" car once the strike ends. If the CEOs of the major car companies simply dropped the price of their vehicles then they wouldn't have "billions in profits" for the Union to target. While they're at it those guys could stand to take some pay cuts too. Why are cars so expensive? Greed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless View Post
Why don't you just pay more? Greed.

Aren't people who buy new cars all rich anyway?

I'm kidding. I know rich people never think they're rich.
Competition and innovation will solve or sort this stuff out.

To start we have more choices than ever existed for most of my life. The biggest auto market in the world has good car makers now. We have a reliable aging fleet same time we get more and more choices for his this has been most of my life.

Our gen z kids and others will shape this stuff too. They might be the best since the WWII vets. The ones doing well are trending towards good education and profession choice.

Even being a boomer I realize I'm in the trend to change ownership ownership and use. I'm 10 years into renting more and use automobiles less.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post

Not looking for a quiet ride. I think I've had 3 of them. Consistently louder as the models progressed in years. This one was pretty annoying. I've been driving a '97 Land Rover Defender since '96. It's silent compared to the post 2020 Wrangler's, but I hear your point loud and clear!
Old 09-23-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
My land rover Defender has 3 keys: door, glovebox, and ignition, and crank windows, and an AM FM cd player between the seats that only works right when my dog steps on it in a certain way. "Old Times Good Times"
Old 09-23-2023, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
but I hear your point loud and clear!
I see what you did there. LOL
Old 09-23-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Competition and innovation will solve or sort this stuff out.
That's going to be really nice for whoever is alive on this earth when that finally happens. I'm a little jealous, but I'm happy for them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic