The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Structural efficiency.

Here's a final shot of the bracing on the 000. It is apparent to me that most of you readers seem to prefer pretty pictures of the outside of the guitar over the more technical pics I favor. I favor them because IMO this is where the differences between the the actual quality of the guitars we love is easiest to see. Many of my "secrets" are bared in the photo in this post, and it is my fantasy that a few of you who are interested in either making better guitars, or having them (hopefully), will get a sense of what you are looking at.

I think this is a better shot that many previous attempts, and that is because once again I used a tripod, aperture priority, and made the center of the shot the most in focus, as well as lighting so that the braces are in shadow relief. The camera is snapshot smart, but doesn't really mind-read.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:58 PM

Well, Bruce, you certainly are taking your photography seriously, these days--although I'm not sure there was much of an issue to begin with, as your pics always looked fine to me!
Old 04-03-2017, 02:53 PM

Bruce ,
I for one am always interested in the shots of the inside more so than the outside. I may not always be posting comments but be assured, I am always silently lurking about. Thanks for taking the time to document your building, and for being so open to show. I appreciate it and feel I am always learning something.
Travis
Old 04-03-2017, 03:57 PM

Fascinating, beautiful work. I see balance for the target. I really wish you would finish your book on your process.
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 04-03-2017, 04:49 PM

I have been over your bracing pictures many, many, many.... ... many times. More than any other luthier's work. I can't say that I 'get it' completely. I would need to do some experimentation (hopefully this year) to get a better grasp of how much give and take will do sound wise. Mind you I used to make balsa airplanes and see things on a structural level and get an idea what is going on stress wise. Humbly I can say that at this point I have more questions than answers.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:23 AM

Even though I will never build a guitar, I love the process shots as much as the glamour shots, if not more. Don't leave them out! Bruce, your contributions to AGF - not just on your threads but everywhere - are a big part of the forum's attraction. Don't change a thing - you are an important part of our education.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:30 AM

The outside shots are nice, but really enjoy the "how its made" shots - keep them coming and your photo skills are really improving.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:14 PM

I skim the bling shots, study the process shots. Your work and your intuitive approach are a big influence on my builds. The biggest single influence, in fact.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

I really appreciate you guys pulling your heads out of the woodwork and saying such encouraging things. Of course I did suspect I was not not speaking to an empty room, but it is a matter of mere faith if no one speaks as I cannot see you.

I do have the NOT so secret agenda that I would like to see more people adopt some of my methods. The standard (as if) building systems are more suited to production and do not promote growth IMO, and too many of us become relatively stagnant creatively by adopting them. Who wants to build a new mold even though the old mold's guitars are starting to look "wrong"? And that is the tip of an iceberg.

I have all but completed the rumored book, but then I lost confidence in my style about the same time as I realized what a task compilation and editing were. I sent a few pages of the book off to a volunteer editor and received in return further discouragement. A total breach of trust from my POV, but even knowing that I have never recovered. My house is not entirely glass, but I guess there is a lot of it. More likely, at this point, is that I will make a series of videos not entirely unlike the recent ones I posted earlier in this thread, but with some cohesion around my conceptual process. Time'll tell.

By the way, as "president" of NCAL, I have taken upon myself to create a club website. It is basically three pages at this point: One to describe the mission and the time and location of the next meeting. Two to recap previous meetings. Three a contact page to help new members hook up. Number two is called "History", and it has links to the videos we made at the last meeting. The URL is: http://ncal.club
Old 04-04-2017, 04:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am about to bend the sides for the 000. The blocks are glued to the top and the waist is marked w/green tape.

Here you can see the step I machined in the sides with my jointer. The height of the step is calculated to be the difference between the depth of the dish at the blocks and the depth of the dish at the waist. If it is right, the sides will be parallel to each other at the waist and the extremity of the bouts.

While I was scraping the cutaway side's upper bout area to a thickness more likely to make the relatively extreme bends (.065 as compared to .079, I measured for your edification) Koal insisted on standing under my work board. He is becoming clearer about his role as a shop dog.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here are some shots, taken yesterday, of the SBAIC guitar that may better represent it than earlier efforts:

Old 04-04-2017, 06:38 PM

Bruce,

I always enjoy reading your posts and much of the time I learn something from them - especially lately, with you sharing dimensions of bracing, etc.

But my main reason for writing this is that I don't know who the h-e double hockey sticks discouraged you from furthering your book, but whoever it was, was wrong. Your writing is fun to read, has an original style, is more human than most other guitar-related prose I've read and has an effortless charm about it that betrays a deep wisdom in craftsmanship. I have no idea what you're like personally, whether we'd be friends if cohabitating the same town. But I'd be a best friend to your book if you were ever willing to publish it. I'm certain others would be too.

Jim McCarthy
Old 04-04-2017, 07:29 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Bruce,

I always enjoy reading your posts and much of the time I learn something from them - especially lately, with you sharing dimensions of bracing, etc.

But my main reason for writing this is that I don't know who the h-e double hockey sticks discouraged you from furthering your book, but whoever it was, was wrong. Your writing is fun to read, has an original style, is more human than most other guitar-related prose I've read and has an effortless charm about it that betrays a deep wisdom in craftsmanship. I have no idea what you're like personally, whether we'd be friends if cohabitating the same town. But I'd be a best friend to your book if you were ever willing to publish it. I'm certain others would be too.

Jim McCarthy
+1! A smart editor with some time on their hands could put together an amazing book from your informal posts here. That someone has discouraged you from moving forward with your manuscript blows my mind. I think you should reconsider.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Hey Bruce, I enjoy all your build posts and I too, would be very interested in a "book" in one form or another. I check the AGF daily and your threads are top of my list. Sounds kinda creepy, but I'm always lurking in the shadows. Hahaha.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Here's a final shot of the bracing on the 000. It is apparent to me that most of you readers seem to prefer pretty pictures of the outside of the guitar over the more technical pics I favor. I favor them because IMO this is where the differences between the the actual quality of the guitars we love is easiest to see. Many of my "secrets" are bared in the photo in this post, and it is my fantasy that a few of you who are interested in either making better guitars, or having them (hopefully), will get a sense of what you are looking at.

I think this is a better shot that many previous attempts, and that is because once again I used a tripod, aperture priority, and made the center of the shot the most in focus, as well as lighting so that the braces are in shadow relief. The camera is snapshot smart, but doesn't really mind-read.
The amount of information in this thread is almost intimidating. Thanks for sharing your secrets. It seems anyone can learn the mechanics of putting together a guitar-shaped object, but this is where the magic happens and I'm grateful for the peek into the black arts.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 04-04-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop