The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-30-2021, 07:04 PM

Default Question for you Gretsch Electromatic fans

I've decided that a Gretsch Electromatic of some flavor will be my next electric guitar (which I need about as much as I need to be axed in the head, but that's beside the point).

At this point, I've narrowed it down to the G5422T or the G5622T. As I understand it, the 5422 provides more sparkle and clarity on the clean tones but can get about as gritty as you could want for blues or classic rock (I'm NOT talking metal here). The 5622, on the other hand, sacrifices some of the sparkle and clarity for more sustain and much better feedback resistance due to the centerblock. (I'm not a gigging musician, so feedback isn't much of a concern to me.)

Also, the 5622 seems to be about a pound heavier on average than the 5422 (due to the centerblock), but is about 3/4 inch shallower in depth than the 5422.

Finally, all the current 5622's seem to be made in China, whereas the 5422's seem to be made in Korea. That by itself pretty much seals the deal for me in favor of the 5422 unless there's something I'm missing. I already own a semi-hollowbody single-cutaway guitar (Epiphone AlleyKat), so I favor the idea of the full hollowbody double-cutaway 5422.

Before I decide, I'd sure appreciate all feedback and opinions.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Hi GP,

I just want you to know I agree 100% with your thinking!

I really like the 5420TG at Sweetwater here.

I play electric guitar in my studio, so I also am not concerned about feedback issues. I love the sound of these 5420 guitars!

- Glenn
Old 11-30-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I've decided that a Gretsch Electromatic of some flavor will be my next electric guitar...As I understand it, the 5422 provides more sparkle and clarity on the clean tones but can get about as gritty as you could want for blues or classic rock (I'm NOT talking metal here)...

...all the current 5622's seem to be made in China, whereas the 5422's seem to be made in Korea. That by itself pretty much seals the deal for me in favor of the 5422 unless there's something I'm missing...
You're not, and here in 2021 that's precisely the advice this lifelong Gretsch guy would give to a new prospective buyer; just as it's de rigeur for any serious electric guitarist to own at least one Fender/one Gibson, if you're in this game for the long haul you almost can't afford not to own a MIK Gretsch of one stripe or another, especially if your style depends on clarity of articulation and tends towards the cleaner side of the spectrum. As you said, as long as you're not a hard-core headbanger they can get down and dirty - IME the more-powerful/more-midrangey Baldwin-era "blacktop" Filter'trons (both the '70s originals and the reissues found on the 5400-Series E-Matics) and discontinued Super Hi-lo'Trons featured on the MIK 2014-2018 5622 E-Matics (my favorite of the "new generation" Gretsch PU's BTW) are particularly well-suited for blues/Southern/classic-rock OD, hitting the front end of a tube amp with a stronger signal without sacrificing their Gretsch identity. Best part is that you can indulge your Gretsch GAS for about one-fourth the price of the now-discontinued G6136DC 1962 White Falcon "tribute" (unlike the '62 Country Gent and Tennesseean I hesitate to call it a reissue, for reasons numerous and sundry) with one of these - BTW easily customized to near-Falcon specs for a couple hundred in aftermarket parts - at no sacrifice in tone or playability:

https://gretschguitars.com/gear/buil...are/2506014567

- or, if you're OK with a single-cut, channel your inner Neil Young with Glenn's favorite G5420TG-59 (FYI a Sweetwater exclusive here in the US - there's also a Euro version with a different finish available through Thomann):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...vintage-orange

- or Brian Jones (the '63-style green pickguard in the Stones pic is available as an aftermarket accessory):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...dy-aspen-green

The cyber-week sales are on if you're inclined to take the plunge now or, if you're still of a mind to score a semi, one of these can still be had in excellent condition for under $1K if you're patient and shop around:

This one's been my go-to gigmeister for the last 5+ years: not to be confused with the MF/GC-exclusive (and inferior in all respects) G2627 Streamliner, IME this short-lived MIK version of the 5622 (2017-18 models were conventional two-PU semis with f-holes) is the most versatile guitar ever to wear the Gretsch marque - covers every iconic Gretsch tone you've ever heard and, with the additional middle pickup, gets a bunch you'll never achieve with any other guitar. A bit on the heavy side - mine scales in @ 9 lbs. 3 oz. (similar to some of the early Norlin-era Gibson ES-345/355 semis) so forget those cool-looking skinny straps the hardcore Gretsch guys like - but there's nothing even close out there, and I've already seen going prices into the $1200-1400 bracket for mint/near-mint examples...
Old 11-30-2021, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Steve is an expert on Gretsch, and I would not try to undermine anything he says. I can only speak from my own experience. I have owned other Gretsch guitars, but currently I own:

5420t (Korea)
5422t (Korea)
G5622t (China)
G5627t (China)
G5230t (China)
G5422 bass (Korea)

I have gone through each instrument from top to bottom. Honestly, I cannot find a single thing on the Chinese instruments within the Electromatic line that I can fault. The fit and finish and parts seem to be on par with Korean instruments in every way.

But, from what you have said, it sounds like a 5422t would be perfect for your needs!
Old 12-01-2021, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Here's a link to my Gretsch G5420TG-59 - Vintage Orange that I received in June 2021 from Sweetwater: Gretsch G5420TG-59 - Vintage Orange
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-01-2021, 06:40 AM

I have 5422tg Like it a lot. It's not as quick to feedback as other hollow bodies I've owed. The overall fit and finish on the guitar is top notch (the 5422tg I have is MIK if that's of any consideration for you)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-01-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Here's a link to my Gretsch G5420TG-59 - Vintage Orange that I received in June 2021 from Sweetwater: Gretsch G5420TG-59 - Vintage Orange
Trust me, I've looked at that thread many times. I was absolutely smitten by the beauty of your guitar, which made me look deeper into the Gretsch as a guitar I should own rather than just admiring from afar.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:20 AM

You guys are killing me with all the pics of these beautiful Gretsch guitars. I think I favor the orange stain, but I would not be disappointed in any of the colors.

And THIS guy makes really makes his black 5422T sing: https://youtu.be/4L3DiN9vIAc
Old 12-01-2021, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Lord knows I love Gretsch guitars. The sound & look are all their own. I just wish they offered a neck with a beefier profile. My old hands have a rough time with thin necks.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
You guys are killing me with all the pics of these beautiful Gretsch guitars. I think I favor the orange stain, but I would not be disappointed in any of the colors.

And THIS guy makes really makes his black 5422T sing: https://youtu.be/4L3DiN9vIAc
Yeah, I really enjoy his playing!

- Glenn
Old 12-01-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Question for you Gretsch Electromatic fans

I just sold my 5622 yesterday. There was nothing wrong with it at all. I’m keeping my 5420T hopefully forever. I just like the tone and looks more. I’m sure i would like the 5422 just as well. Good luck but i’d certainly recommend the 5400 series.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

Last edited by Lillis; 12-01-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:45 PM

I have a MIK 5622t which was "OK" until I recently changed the narrow and inconsistent tuners for Schallers, and the TOM bridge that rocked back and forth on narrow pegs when you touched the tremolo for a solidly engineered ABM roller bridge.
It's now staying in tune, and acoustically is much louder, richer in tone and loads more sustain.
If I was looking for another electromatic I would plan and budget for the bridge upgrade at least.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars