The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-12-2021, 01:37 AM

Default Thinking of trading....

My Rainsong OM1100 N2 for this:

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

I've chatted (facebook message) a bit with the seller, and he owns a small guitar shop. I get good vibes from the seller. From what I gather, he frequently trades and I think he got this second hand from another trade, so I'm a bit turned off by that, but I think he's willing to trade + cash to make up for the difference. I'm not really keen on Torino red, but I could probably learn to like it. The case is beat up, but who cares, it's just a case. Overall, the guitar looks really played. I don't mind that, as long as it is 100% operating.

He's also got a pink Mateus Asato Suhr strat, that I'm interested in trying out. Out of my league, so If I want that, I'd have to trade my Les Paul + Rainsong and a bit of cash back to me.... Only if I'm absolutely sure that I'll turn into a strat guy though, so this is a bit of a long shot.

The Rainsong is simply not getting much playtime anymore. It's just becoming the guitar that sits everywhere in the house because it can and I'd like to replace it for another electric as I only have my Les Paul. I'd rather downsize than have more. My ideal scenario is 1 good acoustic (my Lowden), one humbucker type (my LP) and one single coil type (potentially this strat). Seeing that he's already wanting to trade that strat and he's also interested in my Rainsong, it could potentially turn out to be a good deal.

Another plus I see is that he owns a guitar store. I'd rather trade with someone like that than some random person from classifieds.

I'm still at the stage where I'm just thinking about it, so nothing is set in stone yet. Is anyone familiar with this strat model? I can't find anything substantial on the web with these anniversary versions. I can't afford an American strat right now, so it's either this, or buy a Squier or Vintage (the brand) V6... or something really cheap like a Tagima 530 and mod it. There's really not much selection here. You only get Fender, Gibson and Ibanez with minimal selection. There are some startups out there that order for you from Sweetwater but I'd rather try the guitar out first than straight up ordering it. The biggest issue I have is that the serial number is not showing up at all in Fender's website so I'm worried about counterfeit since it can be a common thing here. The thing is though, none of the serial numbers in these anniversary editions show up in the generator. I took some of the numbers from Youtube video reviews and nothing shows up so I find that odd. Contact Fender?

To the seller: You might be registered here too, and there's a chance you might see this post so I apologize in advance. I just want to make sure it's authentic and get some outside opinions.

So what do you guys think? Worth a try? Does that strat fall in the same price range as my Rainsong? How can I know for sure if the guitar is not fake? I've been having these thoughts of trading for many months now.

If anyone owns the same 40th anniversary model, I'd like to find out more.

Once I'm decided, I plan to visit his shop so we both can get a hands on the guitar and see if the deal could work. I'm in the Philippines so that listed price would somewhere be in the 1,500 USD ballpark.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-12-2021 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Edited.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:37 AM

For those who don't use Facebook

https://www.carousell.ph/p/1994-fend...ed-1112420418/
Old 11-13-2021, 04:57 AM

That price is in the range of several I found listed on Reverb.
The bridge saddles look correct for that model, as does the neck plate.
The bridge pickup will be hotter than the stock one, but for me that would be a plus...It is also an aftermarket pickguard.
I have a similar Am Std strat and the neck shape is one of my favorites.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:33 AM

Here's a couple of pics from your link (there are more there): "1994 Fender American Standard 40th Anniversary Stratocaster in Torino Red". Beautiful Strat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars