The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-15-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Depending on the formulation, celluloid can be quite soft. How thick is it? Your photo looks like celluloid, but the resolution is not great.
For identification, I always defer to the camphor smell, or striking a match to it, if you like drama.
Advertised as PVC or Celluloid, a little scrap piece burns quickly with black smoke, there is a smell when scraped, not real strong. Maybe it is celluloid.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:02 PM

Sanding may release more smell than scraping, but your photo is like no vinyl I have seen.
Rapid burn and acrid black smoke are a good indication. Powdered celluloid has another historical use........flash powder used in early photography.
I have seen some acceptable looking printed vinyl, but it is the kind that imitates real tortoiseshell (AKA 'dalmation') rather than the swirly tortoise celluloid.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair