The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-31-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post

What? Really? Thanks so much for mentioning this!

ETA: I’m delighted with my THR10II—although sometimes I give the THR30IIA some wondering side-eye.
No problem. It's buried in one little spot of the owner's manual I think. The various "amp" models each emulate a different mic: "boutique tube", another "boutique tube", and "boutique dynamic".

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 10-31-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
No problem. It's buried in one little spot of the owner's manual I think. The various "amp" models each emulate a different mic: "boutique tube", another "boutique tube", and "boutique dynamic".
When you go to the phone app you can also see this shift in the control labelling. The gain knob when you select acoustic switches to the "blend" label.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:39 PM

Arguably the best portable amp. But, if you’re at home there’s no reason why you can’t make room for something like a Boss Katana 50 for less money. There’s no getting away from the tinny boxy lunchbox sound of the THR. FWIW.
Yamaha FS800
Fender Player Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Special
Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 11-03-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I'm looking for a small amp that can reproduce various electric blues sounds, from clean to mildly gritty to more typical blues distortion, but without much volume. I will NEVER gig, and this will only ever be used in my music room. That's why I'm not looking at small tube amps that would need some volume for anything other than clean sound...

I'd love to hear your thoughts, opinions and experiences with the THR30ii or any other small practice amp that you think might fit my needs.
Actually, IME a low-power tube amp is exactly what you need for the sounds you describe and, as a number of the small tube amps have scalable power output, you won't really need much volume to achieve them. I've been using one of these for the last four years for low-volume situations (the big-brother V22 serves as my go-to gig rig); a real old-school amp based on the first generation of tube topology and WYSIWYG controls, these are the classic sounds of those postwar blues recordings, only difference being that the built-in attenuator (and headphone out) allows you to practice at 3 AM without P.O.'ing your S.O./kids/neighbors/cat :

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

With the holiday coupon sales approaching, it shouldn't be hard to score one of these for less than half the price of a THR30ii - lots of useful tones in there, and IME twisting the dials and discovering them for yourself is half the fun...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 11-05-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Steve, that's great information and I really appreciate your recommendation and information. Gives me something else to think about. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2021, 12:43 PM

I had a THR, loved it and used it daily. Stopped using it when I got my Helix and Native.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I'm looking for a small amp that can reproduce a various electric blues sounds, from clean to mildly gritty to more typical blues distortion, but without much volume. I will NEVER gig, and this will only ever be used in my music room. That's why I'm not looking at small tube amps that would need some volume for anything other than clean sound.

Here's the backstory. I have played acoustic guitar for a long time, mainly fingerpicking, but I've never tried to learn on an electric guitar. I've been a big blues fan since I was a kid. Now, in my golden years, I've decided I'm going to learn how to play an electric. I want to be able to at least play some slow blues.

Those requirements led me to the Yamaha THR30ii, which is my #1 option at this point. I'd love to hear your thoughts, opinions and experiences with the THR30ii or any other small practice amp that you think might fit my needs.
Those are great little amps. Ive owed it, and the THRX as well. I can't say enough good things about it. I use Two Rock amplification, as well as Fractal Audio, and I still regret selling them. Think I will go see if anyone has one in the local shops tomorrow!
Considering you are going to be learning blues, it is a great choice, as you can use it as an interface to record to your computer, and jam along with backing tracks. Or you could put some batteries in it and play on the patio, while sipping a cold one. The thing I like best about them is that they have such a great feel. Not too much sag, but just enough to make things fluid. The effects are capable of going way over the top, but used in moderation sound great. Thanks for giving me G.A.S., buddy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars