The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-15-2021, 10:08 AM

Default Gigs

Tonight we are helping out a friend who is crazy enough to open a former Deli as a destination for food,wine, beer and gatherings such as bridal and baby showers, parties, meetings, and the like. We get free dinner.

Tomorrow night the bassist and I move across town to play the Blues outside another restaurant.
Our last gig a year ago earned us $300 over 2 nights. Finding a hundred dollar bill in the tip jar let us know someone loved our history of the Blues. We play a few Robert Johnson songs,Albert,BB, and Freddie King, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Doc Watson, Allman Bros, Luther Allison,Jimmy Reed,Buddy Guy, Cream and a few originals.

Tonight will be the Jazzmaster into a 1964 Tweed Deluxe. Tomorrow will be a Tele or SG into a Victoria Tweed Deluxe. My only pedal us the J Rockett Mr. Moto TremVerb with a Klotz Cable.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:24 AM

Got 3 hours myself tomorrow night.

I'm the bass player with these fellas so a Fender Precision into a Fender Rumble 100 will get 'er done.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-18-2021, 08:20 AM

Well, the Friday night gig was rather awful. With power coming through a 50 foot extension cord, by the time it got to me there wasn't enough juice to properly power my Tweed Deluxe. The Jazzmaster sounded like Neil Young on a bad day. The pedal steel player had his amp tilted and aimed at his head. Loud enough for him but not me or the audience. The bassist forgot the changes in a song, turned down his vice and looked like a deer in the headlights. The drummer/singer forgot the changes we had agreed upon.

The Saturday night gig was far better. I used my own extension cable of 14 Gauge wire with a PRS H 50 watt head. I placed my Sennheiser 906 microphone in front of the speaker cabinet and adjusted the preamp gain s and master volume.

First set with the Tele was thin and uninspired. Second set I switched to my PRS Double Cut Gold Top with P90s.
Fatter bottom end with creamy tone overall. Leads were better and the weekly practices paid off nicely.

Overall sound of the band was balanced at a decent volume. My brother the keyboard player used his Leslie for organ and electric piano/clarinet. The bassist brought both cabinets, one on each side of the drums. Powered pa speakers on standard JBL monitors through a separate pa head kept everyone aware.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:34 AM

It's a process. Keep it rolling.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-19-2021, 05:48 AM

If your AWG 14 50' cord was an improvement, I can't imagine what kind of fire hazard you were using the first night for power! I never use anything lighter than 14. I wired my house with AWG 12 and up. My extension cords are 10 and 12.

People never think that in addition to passing current a cord needs to be physically strong enough to withstand use. If your first cord was a lighter gage than 14 I'll bet the connections were in pretty bad condition. It's likely not the length of the cord but high resistance terminations at the plugs that were at fault.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Gigs

I'd left a Sunday night gig I hosted for 23 yrs, left it twice actually. And was asked to return, again,.. so last Sunday was the first of the weekly gigs. I was apprehensive, not certain I wanted to go back, not certain i wanted to be in a bar room full of people,.. But I had my covid booster a few days before, been taking my high dose vitamin D so I went for it.

In my down time I'd been playing casually with (amateur) buds and and learning songs outside my interests which helped me in unexpected ways.

Gotta say it went well. Not taking all the credit, I'm one of four in the band but the word magic was bandied around by several people, from the boys in the band and from the audience. Tip bucket was full of $20s and there was a line of women in front of the band grooving and listening. Pretty much what you'd want. I do enjoy playing electric guitar in this particular room and to me the Northside Tavern stage is sacred.

I've been told the band doesn't sound the same without me when I was "retired" and we all have feelings about our value, but it felt great to received acknowledgment of the fact. I prefer to try to stay on the humble side o' things. There's always someone "better" at guitar but we add our own contributions to the "gumbo". Listening and reacting to your fellow musicians in real time is a big deal, not everyone can do it.

So much for bragging, let's just say it's nice to be wanted and appreciated. Besides the Sunday nights I've added a dozen acoustic duo gigs to the calendar into 2022. Glad to be back and still kicking at 70.

I was jamming last summer at a 12 person get together, wasn't paying attension to where the host plugged me in and my amp lost power as we played. Thought the amp was messed up for a couple weeks until I figured out it was plugged into a power strip w/ lot's of other players and I was connected w/ a 100' (old) extension cord. Thankful the fix was cheap,.. don't plug into that cord again.

Last edited by stephenT; 10-20-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:13 PM

Extension cords can be a problem. Cheap ends can be a real problem.

Many years ago a was in a discount liquidator and found a 100 foot 12 gauge extension for $25 the ends were crap, got hot under load, bad connections. I cut them off and replaced with a high quality ends. No more problems.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Tonight we are helping out a friend who is crazy enough to open a former Deli as a destination for food,wine, beer and gatherings such as bridal and baby showers, parties, meetings, and the like. We get free dinner.

Tomorrow night the bassist and I move across town to play the Blues outside another restaurant.
Our last gig a year ago earned us $300 over 2 nights. Finding a hundred dollar bill in the tip jar let us know someone loved our history of the Blues. We play a few Robert Johnson songs,Albert,BB, and Freddie King, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Doc Watson, Allman Bros, Luther Allison,Jimmy Reed,Buddy Guy, Cream and a few originals.

Tonight will be the Jazzmaster into a 1964 Tweed Deluxe. Tomorrow will be a Tele or SG into a Victoria Tweed Deluxe. My only pedal us the J Rockett Mr. Moto TremVerb with a Klotz Cable.
I am sooo jealous! sounds like a blast! but they all can't be a blast though.Keep on keepin on.I played the other night [electric that is] with my old band. My old band "ain't what it used to be".They don't need me ;that's for sure.I just stood in the back playing chords to modern tunes I've never heard before. Gimme blues and funk or give me ... well I wan't go there ... yet.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:37 AM

Cafe Smitten offered us 5 nights in November.
We could take 2.
Our drummer works Friday and Saturday nights. He can't get both nights off. Other workers aren't interested in giving up weekends very often.
I used my SG into a 1980 hand wired blackface Deluxe with a Klotz cable and Zendrive. The DR was turned up to only 3 and it was plenty loud but somehow thin sounding.
I've found DRs don't sing until turned up to 8, which is too loud for most places. The SG had lighter Guage strings and even the neck pickup was tinny sounding. I had the Treble Pot at 1 with the bass about 7.
Practice sessions use my Victoria Tweed Deluxe. It is a better fit for the SG.
It was a good night with friends I hadn't seen in years complimenting us.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:05 PM

Always best to have your own extension cords and 10 or 12 awg is going to be the best, especially for anything over 25'. It's just another piece of equipment, and if you're using electricity, not one to entrust to the venue.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 11-06-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post

I do enjoy playing electric guitar in this particular room and to me the Northside Tavern stage is sacred.
Akron?....

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-07-2021 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Corrected quote tags
Old 11-07-2021, 03:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Akron?
Atlanta, GA

http://www.northsidetavern.com

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-07-2021 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Corrected quote tags.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars