The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-12-2021, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Default X30 pickup suggestions

Hi all,
My Emerald X30 did not come with a pickup, although it is drilled for one. I never thought that it’s absence would be a problem, but recently I found that I need to perform to support a friend. It would have been easier if I had been able to use something other than a shared mic.
So my question is: what does the assembled wisdom of this group suggest?
I am almost entirely ignorant about pickups. I do have a great tech, so if it needs a bit of installation it isn’t an issue. It should be appropriate to the capability of the instrument (which is waaayyy better than the owner’s capabilities merit).
Thinking of less than say $200, but open to guidance.
Thanks!
Old 11-12-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Hi all,
My Emerald X30 did not come with a pickup, although it is drilled for one. I never thought that it’s absence would be a problem, but recently I found that I need to perform to support a friend. It would have been easier if I had been able to use something other than a shared mic.
So my question is: what does the assembled wisdom of this group suggest?
I am almost entirely ignorant about pickups. I do have a great tech, so if it needs a bit of installation it isn’t an issue. It should be appropriate to the capability of the instrument (which is waaayyy better than the owner’s capabilities merit).
Thinking of less than say $200, but open to guidance.
Thanks!
Well I haven't owned an Emerald so I can't speak to what would work but I can tell you that a magnetic soundhole pup is probably out ! In all seriousness I would go with a LR Baggs Anthem as I think the X30 would be very prone to feedback. More mic for your quieter moments that need amplified and more UST for the the loud rockin' band moments. Just my opinion
Old 11-13-2021, 01:18 AM

My X30 had the LR Baggs Anthem system. It seemed to work ok but after some time, and a few times being plugged in...I found I didn't care for the pickup. (As a moron amateur terrible player too...)
Somewhat susceptible to feedback (the body is SO DEEP, it just seems to love to have a low resonance in my scenarios).
No built in tuner, and no adjustable EQ on board. Honestly, it seemed lacking compared to my RainSong with a Fishman Prefix +T.
So, I cut a nice hole in the side, and ripped out the Anthem and installed the Anthem StagePro.
MUCH better. Solves every issue I had. The ability to dune down the bass response when needed (X30 gives a monster low end whollop), and the notch to eliminate feedback, as well as the built in tuner? Perfect!!
Old 11-14-2021, 02:06 AM

You won't go wrong with K&K pure, or combine with their bullet mic. Simple and get the job done.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 11-14-2021, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Have you contacted Emerald's Customer Service for suggestions???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-15-2021, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.
I have not yet talked to Emerald, thinking they would probably suggest their standard range, just wanted to canvas for alternatives. I have been moving away from barn doors over the last few years ( only one left and that is on the way out) and the thought of cutting a hole in the X30 makes my toes curl a bit, but thanks for the suggestion. The Anthem sounds interesting. Any other ideas out there?
Old 11-28-2021, 09:23 PM

I added a full Anthem pickup to my X20 which was not amplified from Emerald. A little sanding and adding a hole at the strap button was all that was required. Could not be happier with the result.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 11-29-2021, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

I have an X20-12 with the PowerMix Pure System which combines the Pure piezo pickup and the FanTaStick undersaddle pickup, with onboard 2-channel preamp. I absolutely love it … no feedback plus accurate individual control of gain, treble, mid, and bass for each of the pickups — https://kksound.com/products/powermixpure.php
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber