The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-15-2021, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

I found the Marshall Code series (I have a Code 25j extremely light and portable, and does a fine job modelling many famous amps. I havent used it with acoustics, but given its versatility, I bet it would be acceptable.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-16-2021, 07:05 AM

Spark 40 is the best practice sized amp I have owned so far. Great volume. Great tone. Great software. Endless pedal and amp emulation. Its a USB interface and records very well.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:04 AM

The Fender Mustang amps get good reviews, but I haven't tried one.
My trusty Roland Cube amp is nice for my bedroom jamming.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
The Fender Mustang amps get good reviews, but I haven't tried one.
My trusty Roland Cube amp is nice for my bedroom jamming.
I had a Mustang, and found it very versatile...only problem was very frustrating connectivity issues. The Marshall Code is very similar, but I found a much more reliable and user-friendly (ie...dumbed down) interface! I have heard Fender addressed those issues.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-16-2021, 12:03 PM

Agree that the fender and marshall modeling amps are all pretty good I've had a few of each over the last 10 years or so.

I think the mustangs overall, sound a bit better than the codes, but they all can do a lot of different things and you can fix just about sound you don't like with either.

I've come to realize tho... many people don't like the endless "tweakability" of these amps, and would rather something far less complicated with no need to use Blue Tooth, USB or any thing that has "connectivity" capabilities.

I'm an IT geek, It's second nature to guys like us. I loved the Bluetooth code capability, and the marshall gateway app was pretty good despite a few bugs that you had to overcome now and then.

But for someone who doesn't have a lot of exposure to networking/computers/remote connectivity technologies, chances are these guys (and gals) might wind up more frustrated than happy with a purchase.

That's why I didn't mention any of the CODE or MUSTANG options.

Although if I was looking for a small practice amp for the house, or to take to low key/fun-time jams, that kind of thing would be my 1st option.

I had a mustang IV V1 and that thing was a beast! I used it for a few gigs, and I was never really short on power, but the over all tone cast of the amp didn't cut thru the mix quite like my tube combos do.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-16-2021, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

I've come to realize tho... many people don't like the endless "tweakability" of these amps, and would rather something far less complicated with no need to use Blue Tooth, USB or any thing that has "connectivity" capabilities.
So true! Oddly enough, my favorite go-to amp right now is a ‘57 Champ reissue.

One knob.

Can play Haggard to The Tres Hombres. (dos Hombres, now)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-16-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I'd want to get something small for the electric--something I can easily carry around my house and bring to friends. I'm not looking for big volume. And maybe I'd use it for an acoustic guitar too..fun with pedals, etc. I'd like to have just one. Right now I have a very small battery powered mouse amp with a 7" speaker It also has AC adapter.

Is the difference in the way they are built? A sound thing? Something else?

Thanks.
A Mustang Micro and a Bluetooth speaker with an AUX input is the ultimate versatile solution that fits in the gig bag pocket and will handle conversation volume level amplification. It will handle acoustics and electrics. I practiced with my duo today using the Mustang Micro and a Klipsch Groove II. We are playing a house party on Thanksgiving and I will be bringing the same combination there.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-17-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
So true! Oddly enough, my favorite go-to amp right now is a ‘57 Champ reissue.

One knob.

Can play Haggard to The Tres Hombres. (dos Hombres, now)
kind of takes the focus of the control knobs and back to your fingers don't it!!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-20-2021, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for a Positive Grid Spark if you want acoustic + wealth of electric modeling options. There are some add-on battery options also. If you’re mostly acoustic you’d probably be better off with something like a Loudbox, but the Spark is blowing me away. It goes way further than practice.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars