The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-29-2002, 10:02 AM

Default Recording different Taylor Body Styles

I'm just experimenting here, but I may have discovered (something many of you knew years ago) why there are so many x12's and x14's on the Wood and Steel CD.

I can't seem to capture the big sound of my 710 Cocobolo on tape. The little 414K sounds better recorded.

Any thoughts?

BTW, being of limited resources, I am using an AKG C1000 pointed at the fret board, a few inches away from the soundhole, and an SM57 pointed at the lower bout. The 710 just sounds muddier...not as clear.

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Yamaha BB Bass, Fender Strats, PRS Zach Myers, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 03-29-2002, 01:22 PM

The closer you get to the sound hole, the "muddier" the sound will be. Especially if you get a condensor mic in the hole. Pulling the mic off axis (like you described) will help, but the sound hole is not a good place to mic a guitar.

If those are your only two mics I would swap them. Place the SM57 pretty close and set it at the joint between the body and the neck. Strum a chord and the move the mic around until you find the sweet spot. It's there.

Aim the C1000 behind the bridge towards the lower bout. Strum a chord and move the mic around until you find the sweet spot. Pan the mics left and right and you should get a very nice stereo image. Mic placement should get you most of the way there, but you might have to EQ a little.

Remember, getting the mics well placed is the single best thing you can do to get a good recording. I know I have screwed up a lot of good recording performances with bad mic placement. A LOT!

Incidentally, I love the tone of my 714ce (cedar top / rosewood), but that guitar is mid range heavy on recordings! I just recently discovered that no matter where I place the mics, the recorded sound of the guitar was kind of ugly. I've spent hours upon hours adjusting mic placement, but could never capture the real sound. Last night I decided to give in and apply a decent amount of EQ to the incoming signal. Using the mic placement I described above, I rolled off 8.5 db at 800Hz in one mic and 9.5 db of roll off at 700Hz on the other mic. Things improved dramatically. So, if you still can't get the sound you want just with mic placement you'll probably have to apply some EQ to the incoming signal.

Hope this helps.

David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification