The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2002, 01:25 AM

Question Problem with feedback

I have a 614-CE and recently bought a Fender Blues Junior tube amp for my Fender strat.

I was hoping to use it with my 614-CE as well but I'm finding that I get a lot of feedback even at very low volumes. It thought that maple and the 600 series perfromed well when amped up. Am I just using the wrong gear???
Old 02-18-2002, 09:54 AM

proy, first of all, any amp designed for an electric guitar will color the sound of an acoustic guitar with way too much mid-range, which is probably what you are experiencing. You can try to play around with the "contour" and "brilliance" control of the 614, but I doubt that you will find a setting that will give you a satisfying sound. The real solution is an acoustic guitar amp, a keyboard amp or a PA system.

If feedback is really the problem, there are a couple of possible solutions. First, the guitar itself. Any recent Taylor with electronics using Fishman will have a notch filter, except for the Matrix. If you do have the notch filter button, connect to the amp, crank up the volume, play any strummed chord and turn the notch filter button slowly until you find the place where it stops feeding back. It's almost like magic!

If you don't have the notch filter control on the guitar itself, and you don't have it on the amp, something like the Yamaha AG Stomp pre-amp can be added. You can also try a soundhole cover, but they just scare me.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:46 PM

Smile Thanks

Thanks Aruthas. THey sound like great suggestions. I'll let you know how they pan out.

PRoy
Old 02-18-2002, 01:20 PM
.tom the übergeek

Additionally, the gain structure in the Blues Jr are not really meant for nice clean acoustic repro. The 12" speaker cannot handle really high frequency well. As stated before, PA or Keyboard amps are good because of the full range they can do but an acoustic amp is really designed to handle all an acoustic guitar throws at it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification