The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2002, 01:17 AM

Question 614 Backs

So i am looking into buying a new 614 and i am wondering if anyone has some knowledge to share reguarding the two piece back versus the three piece back...i.e. tone, aging, and if it is worth the extra money. There are very few shops in my area and I do not have the luxury of playing both side by side. Much thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this situation....
Old 02-16-2002, 06:40 AM

Do a search on this topic and you'll find a number of threads dealing with it.

Personal preference is what I would go with. I have heard incredible 614's with both backs, so it really depends on the individual guitar. I like the symmetry of a two piece back and will gravitate towards them. Others like the three piece for their own reasons. Neither one is actually better or worse than the other. The guitar either sounds great or it doesn't.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:40 AM

the 2 or 3 peice back is a free option, you just have to request it from Taylor. If a store is trying to charge you more for the 3 peice back, then you (at the risk of being rude) are being sold
Old 02-16-2002, 02:03 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Hey SirSkyline
Welcome to the TGF !!! I personally like the 2 piece because of the bookmatch effect you get. But I ordered my 814bce with a 3 piece back !! Variety is the spice of life...well that's what the judge is gonna tell my wife !! hehehe
Ron
Old 02-16-2002, 02:38 PM

Ditto

Won a strap from the B.I.W.B. contest.
Ibanez AW300NT (its a new start)
Old 02-16-2002, 11:23 PM

I haven't been able to get used to looking at 3 piece backs yet. They look un-natural to me somehow. 2-piece for me.
Old 02-17-2002, 04:11 AM

I bought my 614 with a 3 pc. back just because I like the looks. I've played a lot of 614's and can't really distinguish any difference in sound between 2 or 3 pc. As trombone mentioned, it depends more on the individual guitar the the back it has. As others have mentioned there should be no difference in cost. Just go with your on personal preference. Good luck!
SM
Old 02-17-2002, 12:02 PM

Cool Baby got Back

3- piece all the way. I've yet to be able to distinguish any sound difference between 2-piece and 3-piece but I love the way the 3-piece back looks.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:18 PM

I'm with Ron -- I like the mirror image look of a two-piece back. Three-piece backs can be interesting, but there's always a thought on my back burner that they did it to use up extra wood left over from two-piece backs. Please don't take offense, it's just a gut reaction.
Old 02-17-2002, 08:01 PM

Two piece backs for me. But I'm more interested in the sound. If you find either a 2 or 3 piece that sound great to you, that's all you need. After all, it's just the back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification