The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-20-2002, 09:01 PM

Default Alvarez-yairi... Are the good?

Are they good sounding guitars for the price? My first guitar was an alverez (RD30s-sb) and it sounds great for $300.
I would love to try a few Alvarez-yairi's but my dealer only has one. Has anyone else had experience with current models?

Which ones do you reccomend?

Any feedback on current models is greatly aprecciated. Thanx
Old 01-20-2002, 09:14 PM

I have a 2000 model WY-1. The Bob Weir autograph model. I really like it. It's a grand auditorium size with electronics and cutaway. All black with ebony fretboard and very nice appointments. Very nice action, nice well-balanced sound and very well-made.

I traded a Fender Jeff Beck Stratocaster for mine but I DO know the MSRP on it was right around 2000 bucks. I'm not sure what the retail prices are running. Probably around 1400 or 1500 dollars.

I think they are a very nice guitar and I don't think you could get a comparable Taylor for anywhere near the same price.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:54 AM

Thumbs up

I've got a DY-62C, cedar top and burl mahogony on the back and sides. It's a great looking dreadnought (I get caught sometimes mesmorized, staring at the back) with great sound and range. It's got Kazuo Yairi's signature, so I hope is will be a collector's item one day if not now. The Alvarez Guitar web site has the same guitar pictured if you go to the "Yairi Handmade Guitar, Traditional" link. Mine has a different bridge and inlay on the 12th fret only. It was joined by a Taylor Koa and both have similar action although I intend to put new Elixir stings on the DY-62C for closer comparison.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:05 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

I've got a DY70, a WYK and a WY1 all beautiful but the only problem is that nearly all of the Yairi's are laminated backs and sides. The Koa (WYK) has a laminated top as well. Laminated means plywood !!! Only 1 or 2 of the most expensive Yairi's are all solid. Just buy a Taylor...
Cisco
Old 01-27-2002, 03:25 PM

Where did you get that information from? My WY-1 is a solid wood guitar and I've never heard of any of the Yairi guitars being anything BUT solid wood.
Old 01-27-2002, 04:35 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

sorry noflatpick
But your guitar is plywood. At least the back and sides are. If you look in their catalog or go to St. louis music's website and look at the pricelist you'll see it will specifically state solid wood top or back or whatever. If it says just maple or rosewood it's laminate. I have other sources also in case you want to investigate.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:19 PM

Nice guitars kind of online with high end takamines. Just my opinion but I like em all. JW
Old 01-28-2002, 07:58 AM

Ditto the Laminates...I've got a 1976 DY-68; It's Laminate with a Solid Top. Still sounds good, but...It's not my Taylor!

-Bill-
Old 01-28-2002, 02:54 PM

Question

Well. gang, it's a pity that yairis have the 'bad' rep for laminates. I have a middle 70's DY57. I know it's solid because the original owner (I bought it in '79) crunched it along the lower bout and you can see the edge of one of the sides for about an inch...no plywood there! Nice guitar, great sound...if only it would play in tune.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:45 PM

I tried a cool old f-hole archtop today. I think it was mahogany. Top looked solid, don't know about the back and sides.

You see Yairis form time to time. I think the band Stain plays their dreads.

Jay
Old 02-07-2002, 01:15 PM

Thumbs up

I have a 1978 DY78, it's a great guitar...

Now I have no idea where these are today, but the one I have has served me faithfully. I've had it for about 15 years. Got it second hand..
Old 02-07-2002, 03:11 PM

Unhappy

all the nice old yairis seem to be on eBay
Old 02-13-2002, 08:30 AM

they do make some that are all solid but I`m not certain if they get exported. Played a used one the other day that I would have bough if not for the crack in the back near the seam close to where the back and sides join near the end pin.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:09 PM

I bought a new Alvarez AJ60S 12 string today. It was purchased with the sole intent of being my campfire guitar. I just couldn't find a Taylor 12 cheap enough. The Alvarez is great! It's a maple laminate back and sides with a solid engleman front. Chrome tuners, bone colored binding, black pickguard. The action is not as good as my K65, but hey, that cost ten times more than this one did! The sound is very good. Nice treble and mid-range, skimpy on the base. It's a jumbo, and is this thing loud!! Anyway, for a price under that of a Big Baby I've got a new twelver that sounds and plays wonderfully!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification