The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Yes, its not Cannon Ball Rag but then again middle class students of classical guitar can play like this...nothing exceptional here.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
Yes, its not Cannon Ball Rag but then again middle class students of classical guitar can play like this...nothing exceptional here.
"Middle class students"

and

"Nothing exceptional here"... Exactly the kind of attitude that leaves people thinking classical players are snobs.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
"Middle class students"

and

"Nothing exceptional here"... Exactly the kind of attitude that leaves people thinking classical players are snobs.
Reality my friend not snobbery My former teacher played a Vivaldi concert when he was 13 and he is unknown.

Last edited by Paikon; 01-27-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 AM

This is Classical Guitar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLmiTDEWm7k
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
This is Classical Guitar!

]
Bill, that was a wonderful video you shared,, and that guitar sounded like a harpsichord,,
BUT you miss the point,,,~Chester B. Atkins never claimed to be a Classical guitar player,, There were classical pieces which he loved the melody of, learned to play, and performed, along with country , pop, jazz and electric and nylon string,, Chet was a hero of the guitar,,, not Joe Pass, not Julian Bream, although he admired all of them.. Chet was Chet.. no pretense, he never pretended to be anyone else.

W

Last edited by Wendell123; 01-27-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell123 View Post
Bill, the was a wonderful video you shared,, and that guitar sounded like a harpsichord,,
BUT you miss the point,,,~Chester B. Atkins never claimed to be a Classical guitar player,, There were classical pieces which he loved the melody of, learned to play, and performed, along with country , pop, jazz and electric and nylon string,, Chet was a hero of the guitar,,, not Joe Pass, not Julian Bream, although he admired all of them.. Chet was Chet.. no pretense, he never pretended to be anyone else.

W

I wouldn't disagree with you at all
Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
"Middle class students"

and

This is exactly the point I was trying to make in my earlier post. I love classical guitars and the music made by classical players but the "reality" is so condescending it makes me want to put the classical CDs in the back of the cabinet and listen to Jerry Reed or Tommy E.

Dave
Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 PM

We have all heard Classical Gas played a million times , by a million fine players,,, here is Chet Playing it,, and in the middle interjecting a few classical pieces,,, still pop playing ,but what fun!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRtvALWlKK4
Old 01-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Default Tarrega's Transcription of Alard's Estudio Brillianté

Quote:
Chet didn't play Classical Guitar he played a Classical Guitar with simple arrangements of a few easy to play standards.
So Bill, the piece in my title for this post is one that Chet Atkins played and recorded with what is surprisingly good technique for a non-classical player. The point I was making is not that Chet Atkins was a virtuoso classical guitarist (he never claimed to be one) but rather that he was open to every style of music. Segovia was not, as John Williams points out, and Segovia's closed-mindedness undermined his overall impact in my opinion.
BTW - My formal musical training was entirely in the classical guitar idiom and I've been teaching, performing and composing in this idiom for nearly four decades. Your pronouncement on what is "classical guitar" is insulting and condescending to many here on the forum.

Last edited by Trevor B.; 01-27-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 01-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I always wanted to play like that however something was always missing... talent and practice may have been the culprits...
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM

Just for the fun of it
Marco Tamayo , one of the finest modern guitarists pays A Tribute to Andres Segovia On the occasion of Andrés Segovia's 120th anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTKcwFxcHyA
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 PM

Default Couldn't Agree More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
Just for the fun of it
Marco Tamayo , one of the finest modern guitarists pays A Tribute to Andres Segovia On the occasion of Andrés Segovia's 120th anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTKcwFxcHyA
Stunning!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
So Bill, the piece in my title for this post is one that Chet Atkins played and recorded with what is surprisingly good technique for a non-classical player. The point I was making is not that Chet Atkins was a virtuoso classical guitarist (he never claimed to be one) but rather that he was open to every style of music. Segovia was not, as John Williams points out, and Segovia's closed-mindedness undermined his overall impact in my opinion.
BTW - My formal musical training was entirely in the classical guitar idiom and I've been teaching, performing and composing in this idiom for nearly four decades. Your pronouncement on what is "classical guitar" is insulting and condescending to many here on the forum.
Its only insulting to those that are easily insulted,the difference between Atkins and Martelli is obvious for all to hear,the former is a jack of all trades master of none,and the later is an example of what can be achieved with dedication to your craft in a specific area.

The stuff that Atkins and Emmanuel churn out is what I would call easy listening.
Serious music requires effort on behalf of the listener,what your implying is that my shed in my garden is every bit as good as the Taj Mahal!!!

The clip of Atkins playing Chopin is truly dreadful in terms of technique/tone production on classical guitar,he is obviously using a thumb pick and he sounds laboured.

Last edited by Portland Bill; 01-28-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Its only insulting to those that are easily insulted,the difference between Atkins and Martelli is obvious for all to hear
The stuff that Atkins and Emmanuel churn out is what I would call easy listening.
The clip of Atkins playing Chopin is truly dreadful in terms of technique on classical guitar,he is obviously using a thumb pick and he sounds laboured.
Martelli, who i heard for the first time on your clip, is a wonderful player,
but he is no Chet Atkins,, and whats wrong with a thumbpick?
Martelli, is probably more one dimentional than Chet, although , obviously a better classical player.. Chet did bring Tommy Emmanuel to the United States, but that is the only mistake he has made...IMO
W
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell123 View Post
Martelli, who i heard for the first time on your clip, is a wonderful player,
but he is no Chet Atkins,, and whats wrong with a thumbpick?
Martelli, is probably more one dimentional than Chet, although , obviously a better classical player.. Chet did bring Tommy Emmanuel to the United States, but that is the only mistake he has made...IMO
W

Classical guitar players don't use thumb picks because they limit the possibilities of the right hand,they also produce an horrendous plastic tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical