The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 PM

Stopped playing on steel and 12 string steel years ago for nylon Classical. Play in a Spanish/Arabic style. Like to listen to some Flamenco but find Most "classical" works to be a too demanding/work to listen to these days. Can't think of any classical work that I care to hear again (any instrument). Guitar compositions that I have not heard , over and over, like Brazilian, Argentine, Cuban, etc. and even African I can listen to for relaxation. Guitar comp has to be meditative first for me to actually enjoy it any more, Film Score music, drag out the dynamics! Repetition drives me nuts (in a composition).
Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Guest 213

I could never imagine playing ONLY classical guitar unless my repertoire was only classical music and/or other music meant to be played on nylon strings. Certain songs just call for a steel string guitar, and I would not enjoy having only one option.

Put another way, I like having the best of both worlds.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 PM

Yeah...I'm a bit more realistic about it now...but it does seem nylon has become my "go to," which is fine...I'm still making sure to keep up my steel string chops too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 AM

Cool Going all nylon...

Jeff, I know exactly how you feel, because I've been there, tried that. But, for me, it didn't work out so good. I decided I would have to play both the classical guitar and the steel-string guitar...for variety and the diversity of my musical interests, using just one style guitar just wouldn't do justice to the music.

I love the warm and mellow sound of the classical style guitar, playing classical arrangements, as well as other genres, but I have to admit, I also still enjoy playing and singing songs, accompanied with a steel-string guitar. Some music just sounds off, if it's played with the wrong guitar.

I just have no choice...gotta have both, plus a few electrics to kick it up a notch from time to time, right?

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 09-18-2013, 06:24 AM

I don't have a "stable". I have one classical, one steel string acoustic, one electric bass, and two electrics. I'm keeping them all. They are all fun.

Past experiences make me leery of myself when I entertain notions of having a guitar sell off.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbjfan View Post
I got hooked on the classical sound after a Willie Nelson concert and bought a very used yamaha and put a pickup in it. Just love the warm sound and even exchanged my steel string to get a wider nut width so I can go back and forth between the two guitars easier. Hope to get better with the classical and get more greats sounds out of it.

I'm on the same mindset as franchelB with its future use.
what pickup did you put? Id like to electrify one of mine.
Steve
Old 09-22-2013, 07:00 PM

Default Nylon acoustic-elec questions

I have to apologize - I already posted this in another thread but it seems to git better here.

I have a Chet Atkins CE, a Larrivee OM-9, and a Kirk Sand nylon that I inherited when my son passed away last year. I know nothing about acoustic or nylon instruments.

I plugged the Sand into my Fender Deluxe Reverb. It has RMC electronics. I didn't change anything from my PRS settings as the volume seemed right.

However, I didn't get the acoustic sound I expected from one of these acoustic/electric models, and the sliders for the RMC didn't see to change much of anything. Keep in mind this is a first impression.

I thought they would sound like Wllie's and other nylon acoustics with a pick-up.

Am I wrong? Do the piezo pickups prevent the acoustic sound from coming through?

It sounds more like my PRS without the ability to change tone and pickup. My PRS hard tail is much more versatile.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:22 AM

I went all nylon acoustics after I got my Yamaha NTX 700 (I also have a Takamine C132S). I had a few old Japanese Epiphones and a lawsuit Takamine G330, nothing expensive. I did recently however pick up a Gretsch Jim Dandy, its a little 24" scale parlor thats $150 new for my little girl when she gets bigger. I get to play with it until then though .
Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyc View Post
I plugged the Sand into my Fender Deluxe Reverb. It has RMC electronics. I didn't change anything from my PRS settings as the volume seemed right.

However, I didn't get the acoustic sound I expected from one of these acoustic/electric models, and the sliders for the RMC didn't see to change much of anything. Keep in mind this is a first impression.

I thought they would sound like Wllie's and other nylon acoustics with a pick-up.

Am I wrong? Do the piezo pickups prevent the acoustic sound from coming through?

It sounds more like my PRS without the ability to change tone and pickup. My PRS hard tail is much more versatile.
I've played my Sand Nylon-Electric through my Deluxe Reverb in the past. It was okay, but I could never quite get the tone I was looking for... it was always a little bass heavy with that big 12" speaker. I got much better sound with my Princeton (10" Speaker).

If the sliders didn't change the tone or volume very much, you may have defective electronics and that would certainly explain your disappointment in the sound. Try installing a fresh battery. If that doesn't help, take it to good tech and have it tested.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:03 PM

I recently got a nylon guitar (NOS Taylor NS62CE) that has made me neglect my wonderful Martin steel string guitar of late! I love the tone and feel of the NS62CE, something I never quite got from other nylon guitars, whether they were crossovers, as the Taylor is, or classical guitars.

Like some other posters above. I could not see having just a nylon so the Martin is going nowhere, neither is my mid '60s Rickenbacker 330 or any number of electric basses I have.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:05 AM

Granted I'm still honeymooning with my recently acquired Carvin Nylon, but even as a die hard steel guy, acoustic and electric, I am loving the light touch required to play this thing. Since I studied classical guitar early in my youth, I am most comfortable playing finger-style, even with electric music. I jokingly told my band mate I'm going sell all of my other gits now. I won't have a first gig until later this month, and I'll see how well the nylon works. I think it will sound killer. I think I also love the response of the nylon through my Bose L1 compact, as my acoustic amp. It is so sensitive to my touch, it's like I think of the notes and they just pop out of the speaker. Pretty fun.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Default going all nylon...

Dr Jamie. I agree. With some decent technique, the nylons guitars really can give sensitive feedback.... Love them a bunch.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 10-06-2013, 04:42 AM

I've owned about 10 steel string guitars, and 3 nylon string guitars

I only own a few guitars at the moment (1 classical, 2 electric guitars), but I can never see myself buying anything other than a nylon-string guitar again.... at least for a long time. My playing has changed so much since I used to play mostly steel. I can still play steel fine, but I think my best playing is done on nylon. I took classical guitar lessons for 5 or 6 years, so while I still play jazz and blues, I do it with classical right-hand technique (in terms of style at least, not skill). I love my classical guitar as a jazz guitar.

I wouldn't hold myself to only classical-type guitars, though. The next thing I might buy is a more modern nylon string guitar (with built in electronics and a cutaway) as a contrast to my traditional classical. I'd also love to get a flamenco guitar, and a higher-end classical (mine was around $1600, which is expensive for me, but I wouldn't mind trying to save-up for something in the next bracket). Then, and only then, I might start window shopping a steel-string acoustic again (as I've owned some in the past but none at the moment).
Old 10-16-2013, 06:38 PM

Default Nylon string archtop

Has anyone every played one of these?

When It’s Sleepy Time Down South, Nylon String Archtop, 48mm neck (1.89”), amped here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JEx_...D5A4A4&index=2

same guitar but without the amp, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EHz5...3F7A6761D5A4A4

"Dome" nylon string archtop made by Daniel Slaman.
http://www.nylonstringjazzguitar.com/
The guitar is slightly amplified by an AER Acoustic Cube amp (first generation 1993)

http://www.nylonstringjazzguitar.com/
Old 10-18-2013, 06:30 AM

Unfortunately for my wallet, I find that the longer I've played the acoustic guitar, the more I've wanted to tinker with and have a variety of other guitar types. This has meant getting various nylon stringed guitars, electric acoustics, and now I'm even ogling a few archtops. Who knows, I may even get a solid electric one day! In other words, my liking for nylon stringed guitars is part of an ever-expanding extravagance on my part!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical