The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Bravo Garthman!...I've been doing it for years...even a 12 string. Yours sounds great...was that Classical Gas you were playing?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bange View Post
Bravo Garthman!...I've been doing it for years...even a 12 string. Yours sounds great...was that Classical Gas you were playing?
You have a 12 string nylon?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
You have a 12 string nylon?
Hah! That's NOTHING! I have a 15-string!!

Okay, so technically it's an 8-course Renaissance lute but that's beside the point!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM

yes I do have a 12 string nylon Breedlove. The action is like butter and the volume is fine...just a little bit softer than steel.
i used GHS super high tension #2380 strings and carefully filed the nut slots.
I play it with my fingernails.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
yes I do have a 12 string nylon Breedlove. The action is like butter and the volume is fine...just a little bit softer than steel.
i used GHS super high tension #2380 strings and carefully filed the nut slots.
I play it with my fingernails.
Pics please! Any you tube or soundclips?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:08 PM

don't have any sound clips...I will try to put up a photo if I can figure out how.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Thank you, John. Not Classical Gas - I was just picking between G and Am to illustrate the sound of the guitar.

LOL - I put nylons on my 12 string a couple of years back - it sounded OK but I didn't like the way the octave strings played and sounded (I was using spare strings for the octaves and I think the tensions were a bit amiss - especially the octave G). I've since compromised by keeping the main strings nylon (La Bella 900) but using lightweight electric guitar strings for the octaves.

This is what it sounds like:

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index....sfied_Mind.mp3
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 AM

You guys are so adventurous. I really would love to hear an all nylon 12 string. Very interesting concept. Thanks for sharing that clip.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 AM

quote from garthman[
LOL - I put nylons on my 12 string a couple of years back - it sounded OK but I didn't like the way the octave strings played and sounded (I was using spare strings for the octaves and I think the tensions were a bit amiss - especially the octave G). I've since compromised by keeping the main strings nylon (La Bella 900) but using lightweight electric guitar strings for the octaves.

Mine is all nylon...one complete set goes on then a 2nd E, B, and G. I use another E, a G stretched up to A and I tune a B up to D. I was using a wound GHS nylon G string for the octave A but they kept breaking.
The two G strings are kinda tubby but I have not had any breakage so I continue with them.
I'm looking into photobucket so I can put some photos up...you looks and more importantly sounds great!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Mine is all nylon...one complete set goes on then a 2nd E, B, and G. I use another E, a G stretched up to A and I tune a B up to D. I was using a wound GHS nylon G string for the octave A but they kept breaking.
The two G strings are kinda tubby but I have not had any breakage so I continue with them.
I'm looking into photobucket so I can put some photos up...you looks and more importantly sounds great!
Yeah - that's probably the best way to go. I used a wound G as the main string and an E tuned up to G for the octave but I found it too bright. Two same note G strings would be best I think - maybe a wound one and a standard monofilament?

IIRC I used an E, B and D for the bass octave strings - all tuned down of course. I'd like to get hold of some nylon strings of different gauges (I know D'Addario do a whole range but I've not seen them in the UK) - that would enable you to use strings of similar tensions to suit the various tunings .
Old 12-21-2010, 12:51 PM

Ok. I think this topic definitely need its own thread. Im going to start one.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:37 PM

I "crossed over" about 10 years ago. I saw an incredible Spanish Guitarist in my town and decided this was the kind of musical style I wanted to pursue. I still play my Taylor K20C a couple of times a month, which is sad. But that's where I'm at right now!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical